Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Alhambra Palace, Granada

Alhambra Palace, Granada

Old Nov 13th 2007, 6:52 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Alhambra Palace, Granada

Is there only me and my husband who were completely underwhelmed by this World Heritage site?
Old Nov 13th 2007, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alhambra Palace, Granada

I have been three times and think it is fantastic, love the buildings and the history. I do have a friend who fels the same as you but for me it has the wow factor
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:02 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
I have been three times and think it is fantastic, love the buildings and the history. I do have a friend who fels the same as you but for me it has the wow factor
Glad you enjoyed it. We did like it, but in our opinion it was nowhere near as stunning as the Mezquita in Cordoba (in fact the whole city centre of Cordoba, another World Heritage site). We found the Mezquita had the WOW factor and a wonderful sense of history and numinous coming out of the walls, which we felt the Alhambra lacked.

We did like the delicate stonework though and the gardens.

And our little village has a replica of the 'Alhambra Lions' fountain!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scampicat

I have heard about Cordoba and we really must go there, we were told it is more stunning than the Alhambra, but will have to wait until next year when it is a wee bit warmer.

I rather enjoyed going around the Alcazaba in Almeria, not very big but worth going and free if you have your passport with you, but parking was difficult we used a side street.

pwwm
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:45 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

I´ve been to the Alhambra once and the Mezquita in Cordoba twice now...and for me the Alhambra wins every time! I went one Sept when it was persistently raining and still loved it...can´t wait to go back, when hopefully the weather will be more clement. I took so many photos and could have spent ALL day there, from opening to closing.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:36 am
Ex Expat

Well the Mezquita and the Alhambra are both wonderful places and what speaks to one person will not necessarily speak to another.

We adored Cordoba and could have spent all day in the Mezquita (although it is nowhere the size of the Alhambra), just soaking up the atmosphere.

But isn't it wonderful that we have both these World Heritage sites within reasonable travelling distance?

We also had one half-an-hour's drive away when we lived in the UK - Ironbridge Gorge.

So I've been spoilt really.

Think I need to see Sevilla next!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:49 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Think I need to see Sevilla next!
You do!

When you go, make sure you visit the Real Alcazar. This palace has been in use by the Royal Family since the Moors left which makes it the oldest palace complex in Europe.

King Ferdinand III reimported the Moorish craftsmen that he had kicked out and they built it in the same style as the Alhambra but as it is more modern and has been continuously used the decoration (unlike the Alhambra) is pristine.

I thought it was way better than the Alhambra (which I also like).
Old Nov 14th 2007, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

We plan to do Seville next year but not I hasten in the summer Might even go by train from Granada and enjoy the ride

pwwm
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
Sometimes it is the setting, or the particular location of a building that makes it spectacular. The Alhambra, it's gardens with running water and the Sierra Nevada in the background, is stunning. Likewise, Cordoba's Mezquita alongside the Guadalquivir River. Has anyone been to see the Medina Azahara, just north of Cordoba? See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medina_Azahara
Another thought is to compare these Moorish palaces with those in Damascus (Syria). One can see today in Andalucia a fraction of the splendour of what must have been. Just imagine it then!
Carol
Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:51 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi All,
Sometimes it is the setting, or the particular location of a building that makes it spectacular. The Alhambra, it's gardens with running water and the Sierra Nevada in the background, is stunning. Likewise, Cordoba's Mezquita alongside the Guadalquivir River. Has anyone been to see the Medina Azahara, just north of Cordoba? See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medina_Azahara
Another thought is to compare these Moorish palaces with those in Damascus (Syria). One can see today in Andalucia a fraction of the splendour of what must have been. Just imagine it then!
Carol
Wow, that looks terrific!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Ali in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really nice

I love the Alhambra..really can't say how many times I've been as every visitor who comes over gets dragged there. It changes depending on the season. Summer too hot. Autumn and winter are just lovely.

Cordoba's nice too but I think Seville has something special.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of medina Azahara, from today's El Pais

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cultu...lpepicul_1/Tes

They've found another mosque, which suggests the city was far bigger than they thought.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hola!
Thanks for this link to the recent discovery. It appears there will be another legal battle over 240 homes already built in the vicinity.
Carol
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:38 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hola!
Thanks for this link to the recent discovery. It appears there will be another legal battle over 240 homes already built in the vicinity.
Carol
Crane hire firms are going out of business, but training to be a solicitor sounds a good move at this time in Spain. lol
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:25 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scampicat
Is there only me and my husband who were completely underwhelmed by this World Heritage site?
I wasn`t impressed either, the Alcazaba in Malaga although smaller was better and only costs 1.95 with kids free 7yrs and under.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.