British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Alhambra Palace, Granada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/alhambra-palace-granada-493667/)

scampicat Nov 13th 2007 6:52 pm

Alhambra Palace, Granada

Is there only me and my husband who were completely underwhelmed by this World Heritage site?

pwwm Nov 13th 2007 7:54 pm

Re: Alhambra Palace, Granada

I have been three times and think it is fantastic, love the buildings and the history. I do have a friend who fels the same as you but for me it has the wow factor:D

scampicat Nov 13th 2007 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by pwwm (Post 5550717)
I have been three times and think it is fantastic, love the buildings and the history. I do have a friend who fels the same as you but for me it has the wow factor:D

Glad you enjoyed it. We did like it, but in our opinion it was nowhere near as stunning as the Mezquita in Cordoba (in fact the whole city centre of Cordoba, another World Heritage site). We found the Mezquita had the WOW factor and a wonderful sense of history and numinous coming out of the walls, which we felt the Alhambra lacked.

We did like the delicate stonework though and the gardens.

And our little village has a replica of the 'Alhambra Lions' fountain! :rofl:

pwwm Nov 13th 2007 8:06 pm

Hi Scampicat

I have heard about Cordoba and we really must go there, we were told it is more stunning than the Alhambra, but will have to wait until next year when it is a wee bit warmer.

I rather enjoyed going around the Alcazaba in Almeria, not very big but worth going and free if you have your passport with you, but parking was difficult we used a side street.

pwwm:D

Hillybilly Nov 14th 2007 7:45 am

I´ve been to the Alhambra once and the Mezquita in Cordoba twice now...and for me the Alhambra wins every time! I went one Sept when it was persistently raining and still loved it...can´t wait to go back, when hopefully the weather will be more clement. I took so many photos and could have spent ALL day there, from opening to closing.

scampicat Nov 14th 2007 9:36 am

Well the Mezquita and the Alhambra are both wonderful places and what speaks to one person will not necessarily speak to another.

We adored Cordoba and could have spent all day in the Mezquita (although it is nowhere the size of the Alhambra), just soaking up the atmosphere.

But isn't it wonderful that we have both these World Heritage sites within reasonable travelling distance?

We also had one half-an-hour's drive away when we lived in the UK - Ironbridge Gorge.

So I've been spoilt really.

Think I need to see Sevilla next!

Fred James Nov 14th 2007 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by scampicat (Post 5552901)
Think I need to see Sevilla next!

You do!

When you go, make sure you visit the Real Alcazar. This palace has been in use by the Royal Family since the Moors left which makes it the oldest palace complex in Europe.

King Ferdinand III reimported the Moorish craftsmen that he had kicked out and they built it in the same style as the Alhambra but as it is more modern and has been continuously used the decoration (unlike the Alhambra) is pristine.

I thought it was way better than the Alhambra (which I also like).

pwwm Nov 14th 2007 1:14 pm

We plan to do Seville next year but not I hasten in the summer:eek: Might even go by train from Granada and enjoy the ride:D

pwwm

Carol&John Nov 14th 2007 9:10 pm

Hi All,
Sometimes it is the setting, or the particular location of a building that makes it spectacular. The Alhambra, it's gardens with running water and the Sierra Nevada in the background, is stunning. Likewise, Cordoba's Mezquita alongside the Guadalquivir River. Has anyone been to see the Medina Azahara, just north of Cordoba? See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medina_Azahara
Another thought is to compare these Moorish palaces with those in Damascus (Syria). One can see today in Andalucia a fraction of the splendour of what must have been. Just imagine it then!
Carol

scampicat Nov 14th 2007 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Carol&John (Post 5555374)
Hi All,
Sometimes it is the setting, or the particular location of a building that makes it spectacular. The Alhambra, it's gardens with running water and the Sierra Nevada in the background, is stunning. Likewise, Cordoba's Mezquita alongside the Guadalquivir River. Has anyone been to see the Medina Azahara, just north of Cordoba? See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medina_Azahara
Another thought is to compare these Moorish palaces with those in Damascus (Syria). One can see today in Andalucia a fraction of the splendour of what must have been. Just imagine it then!
Carol

Wow, that looks terrific!

Ali in jaen Nov 16th 2007 7:40 am

I love the Alhambra..really can't say how many times I've been as every visitor who comes over gets dragged there. It changes depending on the season. Summer too hot. Autumn and winter are just lovely.

Cordoba's nice too but I think Seville has something special.

rachelk Nov 17th 2007 1:18 pm

Speaking of medina Azahara, from today's El Pais

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cultu...lpepicul_1/Tes

They've found another mosque, which suggests the city was far bigger than they thought.

Carol&John Nov 18th 2007 7:58 am

Hola!
Thanks for this link to the recent discovery. It appears there will be another legal battle over 240 homes already built in the vicinity.
Carol

jdr Nov 18th 2007 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Carol&John (Post 5569278)
Hola!
Thanks for this link to the recent discovery. It appears there will be another legal battle over 240 homes already built in the vicinity.
Carol

Crane hire firms are going out of business, but training to be a solicitor sounds a good move at this time in Spain. lol

lee8 Nov 18th 2007 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by scampicat (Post 5550530)
Is there only me and my husband who were completely underwhelmed by this World Heritage site?

I wasn`t impressed either, the Alcazaba in Malaga although smaller was better and only costs 1.95 with kids free 7yrs and under.