Algeciras city

Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:09 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Algeciras city

Running through our village is the amazing railway line from Algeciras to Ronda and then beyond to Bobadilla and Granada.

We've been up many times - you catch the train from Jimena at about a quarter to one and either go to Ronda or stop off at one of the villages on the way. There are some great places to go - the station restaurant at San Pablo, or El Molino del Santo in Benaojan are both good restaurants and another of our favourites is Bar Aliioli at Jimera de Libar which has live music and other events some weekends.

I have never however been the other way - down to Algeciras. Does anyone know the town - is there anything to do or see? The train would get us there at 11.00 and leaves at 16.00 - I suppose we could sit in bars for 5 hours but it would be nice to do something else as well.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 5:49 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Algeciras city

Originally Posted by jimenato

Anyone got any ideas?
Obviously not - I'll find out and post back here.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:22 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

I´ve been once to Algeciras (a few years back to catch the ferry to Tangiers) and is was horrible. A run down, flea invested, disgusting, ugly town. I will never return.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

neilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really nice

There is a very good vegetable, fish and meat market .... well worth a visit and some nice areas nearby with pedestrian areas and nice shops ... in the high town. All close at around 2pm thru 5pm ish, so you may have some " bar time" until the train leaves. if you buy meat / fish, probably best to take a cool bag to cover the few hours waiting for the train.

I agree, outside of the market and the "high town" and a El Cortes, it is not an attractive town .... it is a port servicing Morocco and container ships.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Visited Algeciras a good few years ago now but only to catch the train up to Rhonda we were then picked up by coach from the Reina victoria hotel. Loved Rhonda but the above comments sum up Algeciras. We did go and stay at the Reina Victoria hotel a few years later as a treat it was wonderful sat on the terrace overlooking the gorge sipping our G&T's, doubt we could afford it now but it was a nice treat.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future

A dump, best seen from your rearview mirror.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

2204 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been a few times, only to shop at Primark and C & A never into the main town, we don`t have a shopping centre in our little village, so we have to travel.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:54 pm
FreeThinker

Oh dear - not very promising.

Still, I'll give it a go, I'll probably like it. After all - I'm the only person who likes La Linea
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Oh dear - not very promising.

Still, I'll give it a go, I'll probably like it. After all - I'm the only person who likes La Linea
It's like La Linea....on a bad day!
Old Apr 7th 2011, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I have made many visits to Algeciras.

On all but one trip I have been pestered to buy drugs, mind you that day was the day they stole my car radio

There is a small museum which is worth a visit
Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

It is pretty much a crap hole to be fair, it's a town designed to be passed through
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Am I the only person on this Forum who thinks Algeciras is quite interesting and worth the time?

I have stayed for several overnights at the Reina Cristina (the sister hotel of the Reina Victoria in Ronda) and enjoyed its nice gardens (well maintained) and the super swimming pool (in season) and of course the crazy golf course. Pity the view from the terrace no longer looks over the Bay to the Rock as the Port Authority managed to block that with navigation buildings. On the edge of the hotel grounds is a small museum showing the history of the town and some very interesting exhibits - worth spending an hour !
Stick this into Google Maps and you will see the location of the museum adjoining the Reina Cristina 'park' called Parque de las Acacias.

Museo Municipal de Algeciras

Only about 10 minutes walk from the station. Bit hidden by high rise flats and other buildings.

The covered market in Algeciras is near the shopping area. Not particularly exciting but worth passing :
Mercado de Abastos de Algeciras

The main Plaza Alta in town is quite nice with shopping street Calle Alfonso Once leading off ...in fact just down this Calle on the left is a really nice bar with good selection of tapas.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Triana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really nice

Jimenato
I don't know Algeciras well so, sorry, can't tell you any place names. There's a main pedestrian street, with shops and cafes which leads to a square where there is a church at the one corner. Near to the other end of the pedestrian street (and also off to the side) there are some nice tapas bars. I actually quite like parts of La Linea and the atmosphere along this street in Algeciras on a sunny day when everyone is out walking, chatting and having a drink can be similar to that of La Linea. Have you tried phoning Algeciras tourist office? There's also a nice atmosphere during the feria, which I seem to remember is June. Outside the centre there is a seaside place called El Rinconcillo where there is a very nice fish chiringuito.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Everything you want to know is here

http://algeciras.es/principal.php
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:19 pm
FreeThinker

Thanks all - I'm glad that there's a couple of people who like the place.

I have devised a plan that will take us from the Station, to the museum, to the market and then to the Plaza Alta and the shopping street in time for a tapas y cerveza lunch before returning to the station..

I'll report back when I've done it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.