Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Alchemy, turning € to GBP

Alchemy, turning € to GBP

Old May 1st 2011, 7:27 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alchemy, turning € to GBP

Originally Posted by missile
That would certainly earn a few bob for the currency exchange company
Of course, they always make, but if you just sit on it nobody gains, so what is a better alternative?
Old May 1st 2011, 7:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Of course, they always make, but if you just sit on it nobody gains, so what is a better alternative?
Simple, spend it now and get a better quality of life, you are dead for a long while.
Old May 1st 2011, 7:44 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Simple, spend it now and get a better quality of life, you are dead for a long while.
Well there is that of course, but I kinda get a buzz by moving the same money about, it is sort of a challenge.

And if my marida knew she would demand the dosh for shoes and handbags. so how would that help me get a better quality of life?
Old May 1st 2011, 7:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Well there is that of course, but I kinda get a buzz by moving the same money about, it is sort of a challenge.

And if my marida knew she would demand the dosh for shoes and handbags. so how would that help me get a better quality of life?
A happy wife = a happy husband
Old May 1st 2011, 7:49 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

My savings accounts currently earn 4.00% or better.
Old May 1st 2011, 7:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
A happy wife = a happy husband
She is happy enough, if she had more shoes and handbags, that would only lead to more grief, because now there is hardly any room to put the damn things, it is OK if we dont have guests to say, but if we do, and we have to give them a bit of wardrobe space.....thats when the trouble starts.

Old May 1st 2011, 8:13 pm
Banned

My savings accounts currently earn 4.00% or better.
I would rather shift it because once the market has shifted over and above the 2ish point difference in the buy and sell price then each points are worth around a tenner for every thousand being moved.
And you can transfer anytime there is a shift big enough to take advantage of.

Last edited by JLFS; May 1st 2011 at 8:51 pm.
Old May 1st 2011, 8:18 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

She is happy enough, if she had more shoes and handbags, that would only lead to more grief, because now there is hardly any room to put the damn things, it is OK if we dont have guests to say, but if we do, and we have to give them a bit of wardrobe space.....thats when the trouble starts.

I'm looking forward to the day JLFS writes a book about his "domestics". His posts often strike a chord.
Old May 1st 2011, 8:34 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I'm looking forward to the day JLFS writes a book about his "domestics". His posts often strike a chord.
JLFS has got it right.
These women need to be kept under control.
Women are never satisfied, the more shoes and handbags they get,then the more they want.
More shoes handbags and the rest in no time at all need much more space, eventually a bigger house, then a bigger house still.
Think Mrs Marcos.
Much more fun and satisfaction playing the money markets and having your cake and eating it.
Old May 1st 2011, 8:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I am sure that there are plenty on this forum who are in the same boat, regarding storage space, and the trouble is we live in a flat so and extention is out of the question.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
JLFS has got it right.
These women need to be kept under control.Women are never satisfied, the more shoes and handbags they get,then the more they want.
More shoes handbags and the rest in no time at all need much more space, eventually a bigger house, then a bigger house still.
Think Mrs Marcos.
Much more fun and satisfaction playing the money markets and having your cake and eating it.
Any tips in that department would be of great value.
Old May 1st 2011, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Johnnyone makes a good point; the BoE Committee was divided, but it is anticipated they will raise the Base Rate, next time

I fear you forget 1 thing Mervyn King, he will decide when intrest rates go up and I doubt it will be soon. There was speculation in the papers of another rise by the ECB so surely that will make it worse for sterling. Of course other side is ok Germany France Dutch can cope with higher intrest but what about the countries that are bust? can they, can't see how it can work for them.
Was it not Biggleswade that used to post a lot on ghe financial situation?
Old May 1st 2011, 8:58 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather shift it because once the market has shifted over and above the 2ish point difference in the buy and sell price then each 2 points are worth around a tenner for every thousand being moved.
And you can transfer anytime there is a shift big enough to take advantage of.
Even with hindsight, looking at the exchange rates, I don't see where you could make better than 4.00% return on your £1000.

I would be interested to see some real examples. i.e dates when you bought and sold, what was the spread and transaction charges?
Old May 1st 2011, 10:09 pm
Banned

Even with hindsight, looking at the exchange rates, I don't see where you could make better than 4.00% return on your £1000.

I would be interested to see some real examples. i.e dates when you bought and sold, what was the spread and transaction charges?

1 May 2011 8:11:07 PM Sell Amount GBP 5,369.13 Buy Amount EUR 6,000.00 Our Rate GBP/EUR 1.1175 (0.8949
Current Date & Time 1 May 2011 8:13:38 PM Sell Amount EUR 6,123.40 Buy Amount GBP 5,369.00 Our Rate EUR/GBP 0.8768 (1.1405)

Here is an example of the spread, always the same, I am not doing live forex trading, which of course is a much lower spread, what I do is wait for a shift in the market which of course has to be greater than the 123.40 difference between the 2 amounts. ie 1.1175 to -1.1405 which is eaten by the broker, any bigger than that is 10 quid ish for each point per grand ie 1.1405 to 1.1505

just one example is

23/1/09 6000 euros bought 5605.80 pounds .934

5/2/09 5606 pounds bought 6288.27 euros 1.1229

288 euros up on the transaction.
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:29 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pedropat
What is the best guess, is the Euro strengthening or the Pound weakening?

They are both weak currencies now. Everyone knows the problems with the Euro. The UK has so much debt (and the US even worse) so just depends if either country manages to ride it out somehow.
Old May 3rd 2011, 11:28 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Johnnyone makes a good point; the BoE Committee was divided, but it is anticipated they will raise the Base Rate, next time

I fear you forget 1 thing Mervyn King, he will decide when intrest rates go up and I doubt it will be soon. There was speculation in the papers of another rise by the ECB so surely that will make it worse for sterling. Of course other side is ok Germany France Dutch can cope with higher intrest but what about the countries that are bust? can they, can't see how it can work for them.
Was it not Biggleswade that used to post a lot on ghe financial situation?
Yes, that name rings a bell. Could well have been Biggleswade.

I'm afraid Mervyn King has announced that the UK economy is in too much debt, so interest rates should not be raised for a long time...

I've not looked at the exchange rate for a while - it seemed to have previously settled around 1 euro 16 for each pound. Today I looked and it's now just 1 Euro 11

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.