Reload this Page >

Alcaidesa - What is it Like?

Alcaidesa - What is it Like?

Old Aug 8th 2006, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Lorna1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alcaidesa - What is it Like?

Hi

I have been looking for work in Gibraltar but have come to the conclusion that I have to be there in order to secure any kind of work. I'm a brit with a 13 year old dependant and really need him to attend school in Gibraltar due to his age (and my pocket, not rich!). I had almost given up hope but have been offered long term rental accomodation in Alcaidesa on a 12 monthly basis at a great rent, not cheap but certainly not expensive and hope to go and check it out in a couple of weeks.

However, could forum members help as I do not know this area so any advice, good or bad, would help. Also, if living in Alcaidesa would that exclude my son from being educated in Gibraltar. Rental prices for properties in Gibraltar are riduculous to say the least so have been looking in La Linea etc. Someone on here put me off La Linea as it sounded very like a town in the UK and as I am on my own, made me a bit nervous.

Is this area purely Spanish? or a good mix of cultures? The accommodation is on the Seagolf development, some are holiday rentals but I have been offered a long term one, which suits me down to the ground.

I would really appreciate any information anyone can give as I need to make decision on this property very soon. I'm not young like many making the move, 51 to be exact but I am doing the opposite to some and getting my life now as my other children are all grown and independant and 100% behind me should I move. I still have to work but am pretty well skilled in my area of work but am willing to take on whatever to pay my way. I would be giving up security of work here as a civil servant but haven't put in that many years so my final pension would not amount to much by the time I am 65 anyway.

So I have a decision to make, go for it with my eyes wide open with the thought that it is not the end of the world if it doesn't work out, I can come back. (I do not have property to sell)

Or, look forward to the next 15 years here before I retire, in the cold and increasingly violent society that the UK enjoys ( I live in a small market town and in the last month the local hairdressor strangled his wife and a young man of 26 was kicked to death by the local yobs)

I'm not looking at things with rose coloured spectacles, I know that violence exists everywhere but the UK is not a nice place to live and is getting much much worse.

Any help, advice, warnings etc would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Aug 8th 2006, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

kaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to all
Default Re: Alcaidesa - What is it Like?

Originally Posted by Lorna1234
Hi

I have been looking for work in Gibraltar but have come to the conclusion that I have to be there in order to secure any kind of work. I'm a brit with a 13 year old dependant and really need him to attend school in Gibraltar due to his age (and my pocket, not rich!). I had almost given up hope but have been offered long term rental accomodation in Alcaidesa on a 12 monthly basis at a great rent, not cheap but certainly not expensive and hope to go and check it out in a couple of weeks.

However, could forum members help as I do not know this area so any advice, good or bad, would help. Also, if living in Alcaidesa would that exclude my son from being educated in Gibraltar. Rental prices for properties in Gibraltar are riduculous to say the least so have been looking in La Linea etc. Someone on here put me off La Linea as it sounded very like a town in the UK and as I am on my own, made me a bit nervous.

Is this area purely Spanish? or a good mix of cultures? The accommodation is on the Seagolf development, some are holiday rentals but I have been offered a long term one, which suits me down to the ground.

I would really appreciate any information anyone can give as I need to make decision on this property very soon. I'm not young like many making the move, 51 to be exact but I am doing the opposite to some and getting my life now as my other children are all grown and independant and 100% behind me should I move. I still have to work but am pretty well skilled in my area of work but am willing to take on whatever to pay my way. I would be giving up security of work here as a civil servant but haven't put in that many years so my final pension would not amount to much by the time I am 65 anyway.

So I have a decision to make, go for it with my eyes wide open with the thought that it is not the end of the world if it doesn't work out, I can come back. (I do not have property to sell)

Or, look forward to the next 15 years here before I retire, in the cold and increasingly violent society that the UK enjoys ( I live in a small market town and in the last month the local hairdressor strangled his wife and a young man of 26 was kicked to death by the local yobs)

I'm not looking at things with rose coloured spectacles, I know that violence exists everywhere but the UK is not a nice place to live and is getting much much worse.

Any help, advice, warnings etc would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi Lorna
We are in a similar position to you. We have been talking about moving to Spain for a number of years and have decided (I think ) to move next year. We will need to find jobs and like you I won't really mind what I do. We have a house to sell but not it won't make enough to buy in Spain, so will invest the money and rent long term. I keep thinking I don't want to get to 60 and wish we had at least given it a try. I am not looking through rose coloured spectacles either I know it will more than likely to be difficult to begin with. I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do Sorry i can't tell you anything about Alcaidesa.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kaylee
Hi Lorna
We are in a similar position to you. We have been talking about moving to Spain for a number of years and have decided (I think ) to move next year. We will need to find jobs and like you I won't really mind what I do. We have a house to sell but not it won't make enough to buy in Spain, so will invest the money and rent long term. I keep thinking I don't want to get to 60 and wish we had at least given it a try. I am not looking through rose coloured spectacles either I know it will more than likely to be difficult to begin with. I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do Sorry i can't tell you anything about Alcaidesa.
Kaylee,
I appreciate your reply and hope things go OK for you and I think you are wise not to buy just yet, rent, check it out and you really haven't lost anything, but experienced a lot, all part of life really, if you don't try you can't really comment can you! I'm scared and anxious but it will be a case of just go for it! However, my other 3 children are all grown but I still have a responsibility for my youngest son to make sure he gets the education he needs so that is what stops me from just getting up and going.

To some they may say 'what about your other children', well they are not children and I have been there for them for the last 30 odd years and they back me 100% and to be quite honest with the proposed road tolls, black boxes in cars that this government hope to introduce as their latest tax, it will be far cheaper to fly from Australia to England than drive in England!!!

My older children are scattered about the UK so travelling to meet up is not unusual so a 2 hour plane journey is nothing really. My grandchildren are another thing but distance really isn't the issue if the family are strong, it does make it harder but love isn't based on distance is it? It doesn'nt really matter where on the globe you are, your gran is still your gran, your grandad is still your grandad and it is up to the individuals to make sure the ties stay strong.

Good Luck and maybe if we both make the move we can meet up sometime and say 'We Did It'

Thanks x
Old Aug 9th 2006, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

rickstevens is an unknown quantity at this point

I investigated moving to this area last year. I have heard that there is a huge oil refinery at Alcaidesa and it is very americanised due to the number of americans working there.

I also enquired at the local schools regarding our daughter getting her education in Gibraltar whilst we lived in Spain, and was told that they only accept children who live in Gibraltar. They werent interested even though I had offered to pay them to send her there. They suggested using some of the International schools in the area. There is one at Sotogrande, but it seems to be extremely expensive. Why do you need your son to go to an English school? Would he not gain more benefit from being educated in Spain if you plan on living there long term?

When I investigated the work situation in Gibraltar, I found that most of the advertised jobs were call centre work for online gaming companies.

I also heard that La Linea was something of a shabbly town (not my words!!), but when I looked around on the internet San Roque seemed a little better and is only a couple of miles inland from Gibraltar. There does seem to be a scattering of little towns a little further inland and back along the coast towards the Malaga area that seem rather pleasant, but the rents seem hugel expensive over there.

I wish you luck for the future and hope you enjoy your new life in Spain

Rick
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rickstevens
I investigated moving to this area last year. I have heard that there is a huge oil refinery at Alcaidesa and it is very americanised due to the number of americans working there.

I also enquired at the local schools regarding our daughter getting her education in Gibraltar whilst we lived in Spain, and was told that they only accept children who live in Gibraltar. They werent interested even though I had offered to pay them to send her there. They suggested using some of the International schools in the area. There is one at Sotogrande, but it seems to be extremely expensive. Why do you need your son to go to an English school? Would he not gain more benefit from being educated in Spain if you plan on living there long term?

When I investigated the work situation in Gibraltar, I found that most of the advertised jobs were call centre work for online gaming companies.

I also heard that La Linea was something of a shabbly town (not my words!!), but when I looked around on the internet San Roque seemed a little better and is only a couple of miles inland from Gibraltar. There does seem to be a scattering of little towns a little further inland and back along the coast towards the Malaga area that seem rather pleasant, but the rents seem hugel expensive over there.

I wish you luck for the future and hope you enjoy your new life in Spain

Rick
Hi Rick

Well hope your move goes OK if you sig is anything to go by 'Scunthorpe till next year'

La Linea is definitely out, nothing postive about there but Alcaidesa is still favourite at the moment. I made enquiries with the Gib Gov dept and have been told that if my son goes to school there it will cost me £1300 + per term, similar to private schools here I suppose. I have also contacted the Sotogrande school and am waiting for information. I would prefer my son to finish his education in an English setting due to his age as he is 14 this September, options, GCSE years soon and to immerse him at that age in a Spanish school could have disastrous results.

Fun and games isn't it!
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

llanita is an unknown quantity at this point

hey...

my names emma,

im actually living with my parents temporarily in alcaidesa... so first hand info.

its beautiful and quiet with its own beach. those are the good points.. based on the info on you're thread these are the bad points..

You definatly need a car. Without one you're basiclly stuck here.
It a little like the island on the trueman show if you know what i mean.

If you're planning to work in gib you'l need to drive and unless you wanna pay for parking on the spanish side of the border you'l have to be up by 6am to make it to the border for 7-7.15 to avoid getting caught in the notorious border queues. i doubt you're 13yr old would enjoy that...

The other thing is, if your kid will be going to school in Gib it may be a little hard for him/her to adjust here since they wont get to spend much time with school friends. You'l also have the horrendous queue between 5pm and 8pm.

You mentioned something in you're thread about la linea...you were'nt too keen... i have to say iv spent quite a bit of time in la linea recently. i have friends with flats there and iv been out on the town too and iv never had any problems... its not as safe as gibraltar but its way way safer than england.
Its like any area you go u got the nice side and the not so nice. Im looking for a flat in la linea. there are some really nice places, plenty of shopping, cafes, playgrounds. familys stay out at the cafe and bars with their kids and all till late evening, its really friendly. you get the odd asshole but thats to be expected...

anyway iv gone on enough.... hope its helped good luck..
x
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

one more thing...

about schools and paying... if you're working in gib....make friends and register under there address, pay tax to gib and school is sorted!!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by llanita
one more thing...

about schools and paying... if you're working in gib....make friends and register under there address, pay tax to gib and school is sorted!!
Emma your a star, a straight talker, my kind of person. Thank you so much for all the info, I love peace and quiet but not that much and as you know have a 13/14 year old so he needs friends. It is a beautiful place but I'm not quite ready to retire just yet!

Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

I am originally from Gibraltar and live in Manilva, Alcaidesa is half way between the two.

I my opinion, Alcaidesa is a nice little place by the beach but there's not a lot there. A lot of Gibraltarians have houses there so it's like being in Gib at the weekends! Llanita is right....you definitely need a car.

I also back up llanita regarding La Linea. I remember when La Linea used to be a dump and no one wanted to live there. But it's changed so much now, property prices have shot up, there's decent shops and restaurants, etc. It's like anywhere, places you go and places you don't go. But it's not that bad.

You won't get your kid in Gib school without living there....or can use a Gib address!

Most jobs in gib are call-centre jobs for online gambling companies but they tend to pay well.

The oil refinery is not in Alcaidesa but by San Roque, which I agree is not far away, but I think it's far enough away not to be an issue.

Hope some of this helps.

Have you considered perhaps living in Manilva area? So mush more going on here!!

Good luck with everything.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lorna1234
Emma your a star, a straight talker, my kind of person. Thank you so much for all the info, I love peace and quiet but not that much and as you know have a 13/14 year old so he needs friends. It is a beautiful place but I'm not quite ready to retire just yet!

glad it helped...

let me know when ur planning to be in gib by... or if you need to know anything else..

good luck