Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Aircraft Passengers Wearing Analogue Watches

Aircraft Passengers Wearing Analogue Watches

Old Nov 19th 2023, 7:25 am
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice
Default Aircraft Passengers Wearing Analogue Watches

A cautionary tale. Halfway through a flight to UK recently, I altered the time on my analogue watch, pulling out the winder slightly and moving the hands. Some moments later, the glass dome popped off, and it and a gasket landed on my lap.
Not knowing why it happed, I took it to a jeweller for repair. He said that by pulling out the winder, you allowed the air pressure to equalise with the aircraft. As the air pressure in the aircraft decreased during the flight the pressure beneath the dome was higher and popped off the glass.
So, only alter the time on your analogue watch when the aircraft is on the ground.
Old Nov 19th 2023, 7:39 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aircraft Passengers Wearing Analogue Watches

Originally Posted by Library Ticket
A cautionary tale. Halfway through a flight to UK recently, I altered the time on my analogue watch, pulling out the winder slightly and moving the hands. Some moments later, the glass dome popped off, and it and a gasket landed on my lap.
Not knowing why it happed, I took it to a jeweller for repair. He said that by pulling out the winder, you allowed the air pressure to equalise with the aircraft. As the air pressure in the aircraft decreased during the flight the pressure beneath the dome was higher and popped off the glass.
So, only alter the time on your analogue watch when the aircraft is on the ground.
Good information.

Great to see you back amongst us too.

Rosemary
Old Nov 19th 2023, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the watches I have is a Rotary anologue watch. I rarely use it these days but exactly what you describe used to happen every time I flew wearing that watch. It's the only watch I have had that this happened with.
Old Nov 19th 2023, 11:05 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I've only ever had this type of watch and I must have done it numerous times on the announcement approaching the destination without incident.

It must pay to buy cheap watches
Old Nov 19th 2023, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've only ever had this type of watch and I must have done it numerous times on the announcement approaching the destination without incident.

It must pay to buy cheap watches
All my other watches are this type and only one I have had this problem with is the Rotary, it wasn't a cheap watch either it was 25th anniversary gift from the wife. Not sure if it only happened when I adjusted it or not but definitely glass popped every time I wore it flying. My other watches are Pulsar (brilliant watches) and an Omega which is over 50 years old.
Old Nov 19th 2023, 12:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
All my other watches are this type and only one I have had this problem with is the Rotary, it wasn't a cheap watch either it was 25th anniversary gift from the wife. Not sure if it only happened when I adjusted it or not but definitely glass popped every time I wore it flying. My other watches are Pulsar (brilliant watches) and an Omega which is over 50 years old.
Ha. I actually meant mine were cheap watches
Old Nov 19th 2023, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ha. I actually meant mine were cheap watches
No I got what you meant and you are certainly correct versus the Rotary watch. My old omega is automatic I can leave it for years and give it a shake and away it goes keeping perfect time. I have 2 pulsar watches one kinetic never missed a beat in 15 years the other is solar. When I want to wear it couple of minutes in the sun away it goes keeping perfect time.
Old Nov 19th 2023, 1:58 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Does this apply to all analogue watches?

I recall hearing many announcements from the cockpit back in the day informing passengers of the local time at destination "for those of you would like to set your watches."
Old Nov 19th 2023, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

So for all you flying /physics experts-does cabin pressure vary in flight ie from take off through the flight to landing and should analogue watches have a pressure relief mechanism....
Old Nov 19th 2023, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

What's a watch
Old Nov 19th 2023, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
So for all you flying /physics experts-does cabin pressure vary in flight ie from take off through the flight to landing and should analogue watches have a pressure relief mechanism....
Cabin pressure should remain reasonably constant, at the chosen, set altitude.

Upon climbing out the pressure inside the sealed watch will still be as at ground level while the cabin pressure will be less.

I don't think a relief mechanism is practical.
Old Nov 19th 2023, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Or alter your watch before take off or on landing. I don't have an analogue watch but I do alter it to the destination time as soon as I get on the plane.
I suppose if you did alter it whilst up high then pull the winder back out as you descend and leave it until you get down.
Old Nov 19th 2023, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

This should only happen on watches with any water resistance or one where you screw down the crown (adjuster)
It's because these watches will have seals.
Your common or garden watch will allow air movement even when the crown is pushed in...

I had a rotary that would steam up every time I flew, due to a small amount of moisture that was inside it....
So anyone lucky enough to own a high end watch may have experienced this.
The simple solution is to pull the crown out to the first stop (if a date watch) or unlock it before the plane takes off.
Old Nov 20th 2023, 4:00 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Only issue I had was when the crown fell off the face of my fake Rolex.
Old Nov 20th 2023, 8:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Airliners generally use atmospheric pressure until they reach (during ascent phase) about 10,000ft (3,000m), then the plane maintains the pressure at around that of 10,000ft at higher altitudes.

If there is some emergency that causes the plane to depressurize while at cruising altitude (usually around 33,000-35,000ft these days), such as a window breaking, then the plane will descend to 10,000ft, as the oxygen masks are no longer required at that altitude.

Re watches, I suspect that a very specific set of circumstances needs to occur for the air pressue to pop the face off - the case needs to be airtight, but whatever is holding the face on needs to be weak enough to allow it to pop off. I would assume that non-diving-rate watches are not airtight and therefore that airpressure inside and outside the watch casing will equalize almost instantly on an ongoing basis. Whereas I think that most watches rated for water submersion/ shallow diving (down to 10m/30ft/2 Atmospheres) have a face that is secured tightly enough to not pop off due to an air pressure diffence of a few PSI.

Atmospheric pressure is around 10.2psi at 10,000ft, and at 40,000 ft it's about 2.7psi, so the difference between the inside of the watch and the cabin would only be 7.5psi at the most, and that would only if the plane depressurized at 40,000ft.

Alternatively, if the watch was sealed at sea level, at around 14.7psi, and then the watch was taken on a plane which climbed to 10,000ft, where the airpressure is 10.2psi, the difference in pressure inside and outside would only be 4.5psi, which I am doubtful would be sufficient to pop the face of a diving watch ..... but then opening the case by pulling out the winder, would equalize the pressure, not cause a pressure diffence that would pop the face off. So I don't know why the face popped off, but I am sceptical that a pressure difference released by pulling out the winding knob, was the cause of it.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 20th 2023 at 8:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.