Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Aircon and Sinuses!

Aircon and Sinuses!

Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:17 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aircon and Sinuses!

For the last couple of nights we have had to put the aircon on in the bedroom its got that hot. Its lovely and cool and we get a great nights sleep, but the down side is I suffer with my sinuses the following day Has anyone got any ideas on how to ease the pain and the lousy toothache feeling? I am taking pain killers and something called Doctril 400 forte I got from the pharmacy, but they are not helping much
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:31 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aircon and Sinuses!

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky
For the last couple of nights we have had to put the aircon on in the bedroom its got that hot. Its lovely and cool and we get a great nights sleep, but the down side is I suffer with my sinuses the following day Has anyone got any ideas on how to ease the pain and the lousy toothache feeling? I am taking pain killers and something called Doctril 400 forte I got from the pharmacy, but they are not helping much
I have suffered from every sort of sinus pain for years so have different remedies according to how it is at the time.

1) Bowl of hot water with eucalyptus oil in it, head over bowl breathing deeply and towel over heat. This will steam out your sinuses, especially good if you have been out in dry dusty weather.

2) Cold face mask, the sort that is full of gel that chemists etc sell. It only lasts for a short time as it is only chillded in the fridge but works on the niggly headache type sinus pain.

3) Small poly bag with tissue in it that has been liberally sprinkled with eucalyptus oil. Have the bag open and rest it on your chest under your nose and breath deeply. This is only really effective for the feeling a bit sinussy days.

4) Oil burner with eucalyptus oil in the water so that a ll of the air that you breath in the room is effective. This is a good gentle relief and would work if you put it on in the room when you first go to bed because you will be breathing it in all night if the door is kept shut.

I only take pain killers for my sinuses if I have the horrible headache with it or the neurolgia tooth ache.

Hope you feel better soon.

Rosemary
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:40 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Rosemary. Number 4 is no good as we dont have a door on our bedroom, with it being on its own on the top floor it just has an arch way at the top of the stairs.

Is eucalyptus the same word in Spain?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:53 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Rosemary. Number 4 is no good as we dont have a door on our bedroom, with it being on its own on the top floor it just has an arch way at the top of the stairs.

Is eucalyptus the same word in Spain?
No, it is eucalipto so similar enough that you will not make a mistake. No 4 would still work for you if you have it on your side of the bed. Our lounge is open plan and I still put the burner on in there if I need it, just means that you use more oil for the effect.

Each method has its own merits and it definitely depends on what works for you at any given time. Sometimes I cannot bear to use the bowl method due to it making the pain feel more intense and others it is the only way that I can ease the pain.

Good luck. Pity I do not live nbearby because I brought a good supply with me.

Rosemary
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sam,

Really sorry to hear you're not feeling so good
Sinus pain is awful; I have every sympathy for you.

Rosemary has made some excellent suggestions; and all very natural

I don't know how easily you'll be able to find eucalyptus oil, but we use Olbas oil for the same reason.
Maybe you've got some lying around, that you might have brought with you??

I know it's no immediate help, but maybe it's worth asking one of your visitors to bring you some Olbas oil / eucalyptus oil...........................and a packet of Sinutab!!
I tend to keep some in, just in case.
I don't like tablets unecessarily; but that "face ache" can really drive you nuts!!
Even just some Ibuprofen should help.

Hope you feel much more comfortable soon.
Love and gentle hugs,
Sam xx
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by brisca
Hi Sam,

Really sorry to hear you're not feeling so good
Sinus pain is awful; I have every sympathy for you.

Rosemary has made some excellent suggestions; and all very natural

I don't know how easily you'll be able to find eucalyptus oil, but we use Olbas oil for the same reason.
Maybe you've got some lying around, that you might have brought with you??

I know it's no immediate help, but maybe it's worth asking one of your visitors to bring you some Olbas oil / eucalyptus oil...........................and a packet of Sinutab!!
I tend to keep some in, just in case.
I don't like tablets unecessarily; but that "face ache" can really drive you nuts!!
Even just some Ibuprofen should help.

Hope you feel much more comfortable soon.
Love and gentle hugs,
Sam xx

I used to live on things like sinutab but with high blood pressure it is not allowed so I have had to find other ways of dealing with it. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflamatory that affects the whole body so is not suitable for everyone but if you do take it make sure that it is after food because it can cause problems with the stomach lining.

Rosemary
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:25 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh poor you,its very rare I have problems with the sinuses,but Andy had a operation earlier this year because his were so bad,its very painful anyway the hospital suggested mixing a solution of salt,bicarbonate of soda with sterile water letting it cool to aired then breathing the solution in through the nostils ( using a small tube ) and doing this in the morning and at night , it did help his prior to the op
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I used to live on things like sinutab but with high blood pressure it is not allowed so I have had to find other ways of dealing with it. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflamatory that affects the whole body so is not suitable for everyone but if you do take it make sure that it is after food because it can cause problems with the stomach lining.

Rosemary

Well, how strange!
I'm sure I just replied to this post Rosemary.................but now it's nowhere to be seen!
Perhaps I put it on the wrong thread somehow???

Anyway, I just wanted to say what good advice that is
It's so much better to use natural remedies if at all possible, and you certainly seem to have a few tricks up your sleeve.
It sounds like you've had plenty of experience with sinus problems over the years?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jandy44
Oh poor you,its very rare I have problems with the sinuses,but Andy had a operation earlier this year because his were so bad,its very painful anyway the hospital suggested mixing a solution of salt,bicarbonate of soda with sterile water letting it cool to aired then breathing the solution in through the nostils ( using a small tube ) and doing this in the morning and at night , it did help his prior to the op

What? Do you mean actually "sucking" the liquid up into the nostrils, Jean???
Doesn't it all just go down the back of your throat!??

Maybe I'm being a bit thick - but that sounds quite desperate

I hope Andy feels his op was worth all the discomfort.
Is he getting on OK now?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:59 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca

What? Do you mean actually "sucking" the liquid up into the nostrils, Jean???
Doesn't it all just go down the back of your throat!??

Maybe I'm being a bit thick - but that sounds quite desperate

I hope Andy feels his op was worth all the discomfort.
Is he getting on OK now?
Yes it does desperate measures were called for, that's what the hospital advised so he had to use the solution morning and night, not a pretty sight if you happened to be in the bathroom at the same time he does have a problem still occasionally but does not have to use the solution anymore
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Get a big fan( apart from me !)...it's got to be better than filling yourself up with drugs...how about a water bed..try Rosemary's natural remedies.. now that sounds like a new business venture.~Rosemarys organic remedies~ what do you think guy's all proceeds to the BB fund for inner awareness..!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 5:07 pm
Eve
BE Enthusiast

Eve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud of

Strange thread I thought when i first looked at the screen i thought it read aircon and sunrises I couldn't work out the connection, derr!!!!
xxxxxxxxx
Old Sep 4th 2007, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69
Get a big fan( apart from me !)...it's got to be better than filling yourself up with drugs...how about a water bed..try Rosemary's natural remedies.. now that sounds like a new business venture.~Rosemarys organic remedies~ what do you think guy's all proceeds to the BB fund for inner awareness..!

Looks like I will have to copyright everything prior to posting or I will be lining your pocket too much. Cannot see where you have allowed for my cut in the proceeds?????????

Rosemary
Old Sep 4th 2007, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Looks like I will have to copyright everything prior to posting or I will be lining your pocket too much. Cannot see where you have allowed for my cut in the proceeds?????????

Rosemary
Well..
management fee's 10%
Consultancy fee's 15%
IT costs 20%
Webthingy 25%
Technical fando's 11%
Marketing gizmo's 14%

Rosemary's to do with as she wishes, a full 5%.

No its OK Rosemary..no need for thanks it's the least I can do for a good friend like you .

Now back to my estate agency business...oh and Eve's holiday snaps..