Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Air Conditioner/Heating Inverter

Air Conditioner/Heating Inverter

Old Jul 12th 2006, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Barrosa Brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Air Conditioner/Heating Inverter

Does anyone have any experience with inverter air conditioner/heating units.
We have done a fair amount of research on them, but would be good hear from anyone that has one, we are looking at Carrier. Thanks for any help
Old Jul 12th 2006, 4:27 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all
Default Re: Air Conditioner/Heating Inverter

Hi
We had Fujitsu General units installed in our lounge and two bedrooms in Dec 04, they are efficient and have given us no problems at all.

They are not the most attractive thing to have outside on the wall but given the weather at the moment very good to have especially at night time.
Also excellent in the winter to quickly heat the room whilst the log fire is warming up.

Can give you more info regards models and installation contact if you want it.

Yvonne
Old Jul 12th 2006, 5:44 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YMF
Hi
We had Fujitsu General units installed in our lounge and two bedrooms in Dec 04, they are efficient and have given us no problems at all.

They are not the most attractive thing to have outside on the wall but given the weather at the moment very good to have especially at night time.
Also excellent in the winter to quickly heat the room whilst the log fire is warming up.

Can give you more info regards models and installation contact if you want it.

Yvonne
Don't waste your money on these expensive inverter units. They are way overpriced and the savings in electricity are vastly over rated by the people who sell them.

You can buy perfectly good A/C units with the heating option, fully installed for 4/500 euros.

Fred
Old Jul 12th 2006, 6:46 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Don't waste your money on these expensive inverter units. They are way overpriced and the savings in electricity are vastly over rated by the people who sell them.
Fred

What do you base that on Fred. The fact that you are OK with a cheaper one, or past experience?
We have one Hiyasu Unit in our lounge, which when on cools the whole of our top floor of two bedrooms, bathroom, hall, kitchen & lounge. We felt this was better than having lower output ones all over the villa and coupled with ceiling fans it works perfectly.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
What do you base that on Fred. The fact that you are OK with a cheaper one, or past experience?
We have one Hiyasu Unit in our lounge, which when on cools the whole of our top floor of two bedrooms, bathroom, hall, kitchen & lounge. We felt this was better than having lower output ones all over the villa and coupled with ceiling fans it works perfectly.
I am not talking about low output units. The cheaper offerings are just the same output as the expensive ones.

We have a total of 5 units throughout the house. They were not the supercheap units that you can buy now but they were well under 500 euros each 3 years ago. The living room has 2x3500 KCal units (it is 55m2 and 4 metres high) and the 3 bedrooms have 2500 KCal units in each.

You cannot sensibly air condition 6 rooms with one unit unless it huge and you keep all the connecting doors open with massive fans to distribute the air.

Fred

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 12th 2006 at 7:21 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:20 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barrosa Brit
Does anyone have any experience with inverter air conditioner/heating units.
We have done a fair amount of research on them, but would be good hear from anyone that has one, we are looking at Carrier. Thanks for any help
We have mitsubishi inverters in our house, 1 in the lounge, and 1 in the bedroom, they have economy settings, and are a boon at night. ensure we get a good nights sleep every night. One of the best buys we have made since being here.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
We have mitsubishi inverters in our house, 1 in the lounge, and 1 in the bedroom, they have economy settings, and are a boon at night. ensure we get a good nights sleep every night. One of the best buys we have made since being here.

Not really a good buy.

You could have bought non inverter units for half the price and you would still sleep soundly! Even the cheap units have economy settings.

Fred
Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Not really a good buy.

You could have bought non inverter units for half the price and you would still sleep soundly! Even the cheap units have economy settings.

Fred
Sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree over the idea of inverters, we did quite a lot of research and decided that, for us, inverters were the way to go. We can't all like the same thing, and in the end it is down to personal preference.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree over the idea of inverters, we did quite a lot of research and decided that, for us, inverters were the way to go. We can't all like the same thing, and in the end it is down to personal preference.
True, if you prefer to waste your money, that is your decision.

Perhaps you could enlighten us with the results of your research which proves that inverter systems are more efficient - apart from the manufacturers sales spiel that is.

Fred
Old Jul 12th 2006, 10:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Add in local CDS paper " Toshiba Waveline model, heating -cooling-drying, lowest noise and approx 8 cents per hour. 599€ inc IVA, fitted, inc 4 yr warranty"
Old Jul 12th 2006, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

i saw the cheapo units in eroski today for €149 ... anyone use them ?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:48 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

True, if you prefer to waste your money, that is your decision.

Perhaps you could enlighten us with the results of your research which proves that inverter systems are more efficient - apart from the manufacturers sales spiel that is.

Fred
Its clearly not a waste of money Fred if you are happy with the results. And yes, I'm perfectly sensible and our one unit does a reasonable enough job for what we need it for - its 5 rooms (american kitchen) and just the two of us live there so the doors are open, and the fans on at night.

Perhaps you could advise, as I asked before, what you based your arguement on. Have you had inverters before Fred or is this hearsay?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:05 am

Perhaps you could advise, as I asked before, what you based your arguement on. Have you had inverters before Fred or is this hearsay?
I think you have this the wrong way round.

I have non inverter units and I am waiting for someone to prove to me that inverter units are significantly cheaper to run.

I have read all the sales blurb and frankly think the energy savings are wildly overstated.

I understand the inverter technology perfectly well and accept that there is a theoretical saving in using DC motors for the compressor units. What I do not accept is that the associated energy savings in an actual domestic environment are large enough to justify the extra expense.

Since it is almost impossible to do an objective test of one type of unit against another outside of a testing laboratory, peoples personal opinions on the merits of inverter units must be discounted for what they are - personal opinions.

If anyone has some objective proof on the matter I would love to see it.

Until then I remain unconvinced.

Fred
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:32 am
Senior Moment

I think you have this the wrong way round.

I have non inverter units and I am waiting for someone to prove to me that inverter units are significantly cheaper to run.

I have read all the sales blurb and frankly think the energy savings are wildly overstated.

I understand the inverter technology perfectly well and accept that there is a theoretical saving in using DC motors for the compressor units. What I do not accept is that the associated energy savings in an actual domestic environment are large enough to justify the extra expense.

Since it is almost impossible to do an objective test of one type of unit against another outside of a testing laboratory, peoples personal opinions on the merits of inverter units must be discounted for what they are - personal opinions.

If anyone has some objective proof on the matter I would love to see it.

Until then I remain unconvinced.

Fred
Thanks Fred

I don't think I have things the wrong way around, but what it boils down to my friend is that its your opinion that we have wasted our money, as you have read the sales blurb and formed your opinion. And thats fair enough for sure, but it means that we have no more wasted our money than you have. There seem to be no hard facts, unless you can provide them to us, that the units are power guzzlers.

But at the end of the day you are happy with yours, and we are happy with ours .... what could be better?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:43 am

But at the end of the day you are happy with yours, and we are happy with ours .... what could be better?
Very true.

What does get me going is the way the A/C salesman use unsubstantiated energy savings to sell the more expensive units.

Fred

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.