Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Agents and private selling

Agents and private selling

Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice
Default Agents and private selling

I have listed my house with 3 agents and listed privately using a variety of property portals. The price of my home on the portals is lower than that of the price with the agents due to the commission fees expected by the agents. I am told (by one of the agents) that I am not allowed to do this? Can someone clarify please. Surely I am able to advertise privately at next to nothing if I wish?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Agents and private selling

I suspect it depends on the contract or agreement that you have signed with the agents.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celestine
I have listed my house with 3 agents and listed privately using a variety of property portals. The price of my home on the portals is lower than that of the price with the agents due to the commission fees expected by the agents. I am told (by one of the agents) that I am not allowed to do this? Can someone clarify please. Surely I am able to advertise privately at next to nothing if I wish?
We did, and we sold through the private advert, so no agents got anything, however there are several agents out there who insist on 'sole agency' or who may have the clause about private ads in their small print, check that out, and if it's there get rid of the agents.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:54 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

A number of (most) agents don't ask for a contract to be signed - unless they are foreign agents (non Spanish).

The way it seems to work is that anyone can sell any property - once they hook a buyer, then any commission is split between the agents. Because of this, there can be no concept of "sole agency" in Spain.

So my question is - "what contract did you sign and does it have a sole agency clause". If not, do what you want and/or bin the agent.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:57 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Often in the past it's not been uncommon for different agents to have the same property on at different prices.
If I ever sell my place I wont be putting on as a sole agency basis. As said, it may depend on the contracts
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

We did, and we sold through the private advert,
What sites have you both used? Has anyone else got any recommended sales sites?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:06 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
I would be going for sites that aren't English, i.e. ones that sell to Eastern Europeans / Russians etc
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:14 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

You will get all those scammers from East Europe...the ones who want to buy your house but don't want to see it
Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:01 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jackytoo
You will get all those scammers from East Europe...the ones who want to buy your house but don't want to see it
Maybe so, but most of the houses around here that have sold recently have been to Russians or Eastern Europeans with some Belgians
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice

Thanks for the responses. I have not registered with any agents as 'sole' agents no have I signed any contracts. In fact nor have I seen any contracts. I agree removal from the agent should they continue to be difficult is definitely an option. To be honest we have had far more interest via private advertising. The portals I have used are Spanish as recommended by friends located in Barcelona.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:59 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

.... In fact nor have I seen any contracts....
I would suggest you get a written agreement to cover agents fees.

..To be honest we have had far more interest via private advertising...
Sounds like you have a very poor agent(s)
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:13 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I would be going for sites that aren't English, i.e. ones that sell to Eastern Europeans / Russians etc
yes, go where the money is
where it comes from shouldnt interest you so long as you get your share.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:48 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Domino
yes, go where the money is
where it comes from shouldnt interest you so long as you get your share.

I think Chelski might have considered that also
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

not sure whether the one we used is still going, it was an online property advertising company, cost about €80 with no time limit, they did also advertise in the english language newspapers, took about 7 days from the advert appearing to sale.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:44 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I would never pay money to those sites to advertise. Everyone I know who has used them have never sold through any of them. We have sold 5 houses in Spain and except for the last one, which we sold to a relative, never managed to sell any privately. We paid for ads in Sur, advertised on free websites but all we got were timewasters. We used VIVA to sell 3 times and got quick sales (this was when houses were selling). They did have a sole agency agreement if required, but there was an option at differing commission levels.

A friend sold a house privately whilst signed up to a sole agency and they claimed their commission. When my Daughter sold she was still seeing it for sale on some websites a year later.....by Agents she had not listed with

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.