Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice on where to live??

Advice on where to live??

Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:37 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on where to live??

Originally Posted by JLFS
Some K for you......very important the job prosects for the children.
Surely they'd have far better job prospects if they were brought up bi-lingual (hint - both countries are in the EU). In fact, if they could learn German as well they'd have even more of an advantage. The essential thing (and I speak as a non-graduate) is to get a degree. It's getting so you can't apply for a cleaning job without a degree - ok so that's a joke, but it's not so far off. Unless the OP are sure they can find the annual 9k tuition fees for their children (or push their kids into large debts early in life) I really don't see how the UK would be best? I stress again, both countries are in the EU so getting a job will not necessarily mean where your parents live.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:00 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Surely they'd have far better job prospects if they were brought up bi-lingual (hint - both countries are in the EU). In fact, if they could learn German as well they'd have even more of an advantage. The essential thing (and I speak as a non-graduate) is to get a degree. It's getting so you can't apply for a cleaning job without a degree - ok so that's a joke, but it's not so far off. Unless the OP are sure they can find the annual 9k tuition fees for their children (or push their kids into large debts early in life) I really don't see how the UK would be best? I stress again, both countries are in the EU so getting a job will not necessarily mean where your parents live.
I presume that you are NOT a parent, otherwise you would not be talking the way you are.

Depending on the age of the children coming to Spain, do you really think that with a couple of years in Spanish school especially as a lot have to start from scratch, they would reach the standard to go to uni and learn another 2 languages as you suggest?

And do you think that everyone has the ability to go to uni, or indeed wants to go?

Also you seem to forget that not every child want to leave home to find a job, in the same way that not everyone want to live in a different country to where they were born.

It would break my heart if a child of mine had to live in a different country to the one I had brought him/her to, just to be able to have a job, when their real wish would be to have one locally and stay near their parents

Also, parents do not have to find the 9k a year uni fee, I think we have been over this before, it is paid back by the graduate when they get a job earning over x amount of wages. So the uni fee argument does not hold water.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:17 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Well of course I disagree with most of the previous post, but just have time to answer these two

Also, parents do not have to find the 9k a year uni fee, I think we have been over this before, it is paid back by the graduate when they get a job earning over x amount of wages
Well exactly - the money HAS to be paid. 9k per student per year, so 27k debts. Some parents will try their best to pay in advance so their child doesn't start out with such huge debts. In fact, students from the UK are starting to look abroad because of this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...europe-no-debt

So in the end, your offspring may have to move away to study and/or work anyway, regardless of whether the parental home is in Spain or the UK

And do you think that everyone has the ability to go to uni, or indeed wants to go?
No, but unfortunately jobs are getting harder and harder to come by for kids starting out. Even in the UK the unemployment rate for young people is 20% (and higher still in Spain). Even getting a degree is no guarantee of a job, but nowadays it's getting almost essential if you have a chance of a good job. I don't think it's a good thing by the way, but there you go.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:26 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I presume that you are NOT a parent, otherwise you would not be talking the way you are.

Depending on the age of the children coming to Spain, do you really think that with a couple of years in Spanish school especially as a lot have to start from scratch, they would reach the standard to go to uni and learn another 2 languages as you suggest? And do you think that everyone has the ability to go to uni, or indeed wants to go?

Also you seem to forget that not every child want to leave home to find a job, in the same way that not everyone want to live in a different country to where they were born.

It would break my heart if a child of mine had to live in a different country to the one I had brought him/her to, just to be able to have a job, when their real wish would be to have one locally and stay near their parents

Also, parents do not have to find the 9k a year uni fee, I think we have been over this before, it is paid back by the graduate when they get a job earning over x amount of wages. So the uni fee argument does not hold water.
The children are 2 years old and 11 months old so surely they would have the same chances with education as a child born in Spain.

In a previous post you mention about how important it is for the parents to learn Spanish in order to help their children and I totally agree with you. Children having to translate is not fair on the child, they are given too much responsibility when they should have the adults in their lives taking the responsibility. Also a parent needs to be able to deal with anything that life throws at them.

You know first hand how difficult it is for children moving to another country so what age do you feel is ideal?

Rosemary
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all

An interesting article from The Guardian on graduates from Spanish universities.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...uates-emigrate
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Oddities
The children are 2 years old and 11 months old so surely they would have the same chances with education as a child born in Spain.

Rosemary
I am sure this is true, and perhaps they would have a better chance than most Spanish kids because the OP said they could go private and buy an advantage. In this scenario, with two very young children, it could be the parent that has to live here that ends up isolated and homesick.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:32 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Well of course I disagree with most of the previous post, but just have time to answer these two

Well exactly - the money HAS to be paid. 9k per student per year, so 27k debts. Some parents will try their best to pay in advance so their child doesn't start out with such huge debts. In fact, students from the UK are starting to look abroad because of this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...europe-no-debt

So in the end, your offspring may have to move away to study and/or work anyway, regardless of whether the parental home is in Spain or the UK

No, but unfortunately jobs are getting harder and harder to come by for kids starting out. Even in the UK the unemployment rate for young people is 20% (and higher still in Spain). Even getting a degree is no guarantee of a job, but nowadays it's getting almost essential if you have a chance of a good job. I don't think it's a good thing by the way, but there you go.
If as you say that parents try in to pay in advance the 27k upfront, well that is their chioce, as is buying them a flat to live in while they are studying, but it is not necessary or even the norm. Because if the parents had to stump up 27k up front, there would not be load of graduates on the dole, because they would never have even got to uni, and a lot less mickey mouse degrees.

So if that is the case what you mean is that people from the UK or Spain would have to move to another EU contry and to find a job and people from other EU countries will also have to leave their homes to find a good job, some supposedly in the UK or Spain? (confused).

So with your post, I am reading it that those looking for a job will have to re locate to a different place, but then others will have to relocate to the country where the other job seekers have left. Hmmm?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by marqueemoon
I am sure this is true, and perhaps they would have a better chance than most Spanish kids because the OP said they could go private and buy an advantage. In this scenario, with two very young children, it could be the parent that has to live here that ends up isolated and homesick.
Well I for one would not want to be resposible for 2 children so young, if I could not depend on my language skills in a crisis.......

but it is down to parental choice, I know a lot do it, but i wouldnt even consider it. I would head for an English speaking country.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:36 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by marqueemoon
An interesting article from The Guardian on graduates from Spanish universities.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...uates-emigrate
Well yes, exactly. It's not just Poles who have to move abroad to find work. Starting to happen in the UK too:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...o-find-work.do

The lack of job prospects in the UK is forcing young people to consider a move abroad to look for work, a survey has revealed.

More than half of the 18 to 25-year-olds questioned said they were seriously thinking of emigrating because of the high rate of youth unemployment.

Australia is top of the list of popular destinations for young people wanting to leave the UK, followed by Canada and China.

The survey found that nearly 65% of young people are considering leaving the UK, with 52% saying they were seriously considering doing so.

Adrian Jacob, of Student Currency Exchange, which surveyed 1,982 young people, said: "Job prospects in the UK are extremely gloomy for young people with youth unemployment at its highest since records began and things don't look like they're going to improve anytime soon.

"It makes sense that young people are looking to go where there are more job opportunities and quite probably a better quality of life."
Don't assume that where you decide to live (whether it be Spain or the UK or even Germany in the future) is where your kids will end up working. Globalisation is getting more intense. Overall I think this is a bad thing, but it does create opportunties for some.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:40 am
Banned

In a previous post you mention about how important it is for the parents to learn Spanish in order to help their children and I totally agree with you. Children having to translate is not fair on the child, they are given too much responsibility when they should have the adults in their lives taking the responsibility. Also a parent needs to be able to deal with anything that life throws at them.

You know first hand how difficult it is for children moving to another country so what age do you feel is ideal?

Rosemary
You have made a very good point, and there are lots of things to consider.

I would say the younger the better, in terms of eductaion, and the child settling in.

But the downside is, if the parents cannot speak the language, the younger the child or children are, the bigger the potential danger to the child.

So evenif living in a British-ish area, I would say if the parent cannot make themselves understood in a crisis situation, then the timing is not right.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:58 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Well I for one would not want to be resposible for 2 children so young, if I could not depend on my language skills in a crisis.......

but it is down to parental choice, I know a lot do it, but i wouldnt even consider it. I would head for an English speaking country.
You have hit the nail on the head with the fact that the parents need to take full responsibility for their children and that means being able to deal with any crisis that occurs and be able to communicate with people. So many parents do not think things through sufficiently and then wonder why things go wrong for them and their family.

Rosemary
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

You have made a very good point, and there are lots of things to consider.

I would say the younger the better, in terms of eductaion, and the child settling in.

But the downside is, if the parents cannot speak the language, the younger the child or children are, the bigger the potential danger to the child.

So evenif living in a British-ish area, I would say if the parent cannot make themselves understood in a crisis situation, then the timing is not right.
It's not just crisis situations, but social ones too. Look at the stick some immigrants in the UK get from some people because they cannot speak good English. I am sure many of them would like to, but it is just as difficult for them to learn English from within their communities as it is for many English in their closed world to learn Spanish, as hard as they try. A language in common is unifying, but a lack of it causes a withdrawl, and if you have kids then they will experience one or the other too.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:02 am
Banned

Well yes, exactly. It's not just Poles who have to move abroad to find work. Starting to happen in the UK too:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...o-find-work.do

Don't assume that where you decide to live (whether it be Spain or the UK or even Germany in the future) is where your kids will end up working. Globalisation is getting more intense. Overall I think this is a bad thing, but it does create opportunties for some.
Contrary to what is being said, most children want to stay in the area they grow up in and find a job locally.

For everyone that finds a job abroad there will be a thousand that work in the nearest town centre to where they live.

Not every kid wants to go it alone in every aspect of life. I would bet that most would rather earn less and still be able to have a social life with their mates that they grew up with and have their family close by, rather than have thier whole life revolve around a job.

Ok the gifted high fliers might disagree, but they are not "most kids".

Some forget that a job is not a persons whole life, it is a way of earning a living, no more, no less, for some it is not the be all and end all.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:18 am
Banned

You have hit the nail on the head with the fact that the parents need to take full responsibility for their children and that means being able to deal with any crisis that occurs and be able to communicate with people. So many parents do not think things through sufficiently and then wonder why things go wrong for them and their family.

Rosemary
Exactly, the ultimate responsibility for a childs wellbeing is with the parents, not Paco and Charo, the neighbours who speak good English!!!!

I became a father at, what seems like now a shockingly young age, earlier than intended, to be honest, but, it happens.

My dad said to me that I had to get my act together because soon, I would hold the life of helpless human being in my hands, both of us would.

I never gave it much thought at the time, but as soon as I became a parent, at, it hit me like a canonball,and was terryfieing, but wonderfull.

Fromthat moment on the speeding in the car stopped, the getting rat arsed too, and the quite risky pranks, I was a father.

Our children were brought up speaking Spanish as was my wife, but we waited until they were independant before we made the move to Spain.

By the time we wer in a financial position to do so, they were a bit older and had their own friends, plans for the future and way of life, so we waited, untill they were ready to leave us.

As it turned out my parents move to another country turned out well, but then it was out of necessity, and it was to a place with better job prospects for all the family, which often is not the case when folks move to Spain.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:27 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Wow some really sensible posts especially from JFLS and M/moon

In 15 years in Spain I have seen lot of families move to Spain with kids. The parents always say their kids are doing fine at school but I could count on one hand the ones who have left school with any qualifications. Even the ones who did went to private international schools. Your children may be fluent but it will take years to get to any stage where you can dicuss or help with school work, have a conversation with the Teacher etc. I have seen many posts on forums asking when are the school holidays and it seems as mot British parents are in a mist.

A friend has been married to a Spaniard for 25 years.(really fully bi-lingual). When her first child was about 9 she went to school for an event. Because of her accent and a tiny mistake she made the kids started bullying her Daughter.

Schools, hospitals etc. should be first priorities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.