Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice on relocating to Spain (Sotogrande)

Advice on relocating to Spain (Sotogrande)

Old Apr 17th 2019, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

AllieBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on relocating to Spain (Sotogrande)

Hello All,
We are a family of 4 currently living in Ireland (kids are 2 and 6). My DH has just got a job in Gibraltar, and we are deciding whether or not he should take it and relocate the family to Spain (for 1 - 2 years). I currently work remotely and travel to the UK once or twice a month, so I would continue to do that for as long as I can manage it or the job lasts (I am an IT Contractor). He has tried to get work in Ireland and hasn't been able to get anything so far, and it is a good job in Gibraltar.

We are thinking of Sotogrande, as there is an International school (assuming my son will get in and we can afford it!?) and there are bilingual nurseries. Also, I think we would prefer Spain to Gibraltar and it is commutable for him. He worked there briefly some years ago (before he met me) and used to park in Spain and walk across to avoid the queues.. not sure how far his new office will be, and if that is doable!?

Things I'm concerned about:
Is Sotogrande a good option to base ourselves out of?
Is there much to do there? With kids.. and in the evenings?
More than likely (if we go ahead with it) we will move just as the Summer kicks in, so I am concerned about how hot it will get and how the kids will manage?
What are property's like in Sotogrande, roughly how much would we need for a 3/4 bed? Is there much to choose from?
Has anyone on here done a similar move, any advice?

Not sure if it's worth uprooting the family, the other options are he keeps on looking for something locally, or he commutes.. none of which are ideal!! We can afford for him not to take it at the moment, but eventually he will have to get something..

Any insights into life in this area are very welcome, and will help us to make our decision.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on relocating to Spain (Sotogrande)

Great in summer, lots going on but you need the money ! This is the prefered resort of many wealthy Spaniards - yachts, riding, golf ....Definitely need a car if you want to do anything .A quick check on Idealista - 3 bedroom chalet just reduced from Euro 1.1 Million. There are others at 400K - 500K but not so many.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 6:46 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely place but very expensive. Valderrama Golf across the road, a great marina for your super yacht. Cheap shopping down the road in Gibraltar.

Nice Polo ground if you are into that.

Estepona area a few miles north would be a cheaper option. Don’t know about the schools, but the residents in Sotogrande probably send the kids to English public schools!

I would love to live there but my yacht is too big to fit in the marina (I wish).

Old Apr 17th 2019, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllieBB
Hello All,
We are a family of 4 currently living in Ireland (kids are 2 and 6). My DH has just got a job in Gibraltar, and we are deciding whether or not he should take it and relocate the family to Spain (for 1 - 2 years). I currently work remotely and travel to the UK once or twice a month, so I would continue to do that for as long as I can manage it or the job lasts (I am an IT Contractor). He has tried to get work in Ireland and hasn't been able to get anything so far, and it is a good job in Gibraltar.

We are thinking of Sotogrande, as there is an International school (assuming my son will get in and we can afford it!?) and there are bilingual nurseries. Also, I think we would prefer Spain to Gibraltar and it is commutable for him. He worked there briefly some years ago (before he met me) and used to park in Spain and walk across to avoid the queues.. not sure how far his new office will be, and if that is doable!?

More than likely (if we go ahead with it) we will move just as the Summer kicks in, so I am concerned about how hot it will get and how the kids will manage?
What are property's like in Sotogrande, roughly how much would we need for a 3/4 bed? Is there much to choose from?

Not sure if it's worth uprooting the family, the other options are he keeps on looking for something locally, or he commutes.. none of which are ideal!! We can afford for him not to take it at the moment, but eventually he will have to get something..

Any insights into life in this area are very welcome, and will help us to make our decision.
No idea about Sotogrande directly but what kind of work does he do and where are you based in Ireland, as I'm surprised he can't find work? I suppose Gibraltar is ok for couples without kids but I can imagine it would be very stressful moving the whole family there just for a year or two.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

He works in Marketing but his main experience is in the gambling area, so the companies tend to be in tax “efficient” areas.. Hence the job in Gibraltar!!

He could get work in Dublin but it’s practically impossible to get accommodation and schools in Dublin at the moment, so we are living in the South West of Ireland and not much work for him here.

We would be renting in Spain as we’re looking at it as a short(ish) term move. We have our house and some small investments back in Ireland, so ultimately will be coming back here. But thinking it would be a bit of an adventure for the kids (and us) to live somewhere nice and sunny and a bit different for a while.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

He works in Marketing but his main experience is in the gambling area, so the companies tend to be in tax “efficient” areas.. Hence the job in Gibraltar!!

He could get work in Dublin but it’s practically impossible to get accommodation and schools in Dublin at the moment, so we are living in the South West of Ireland and not much work for him here.

We would be renting in Spain as we’re looking at it as a short(ish) term move. We have our house and some small investments back in Ireland, so ultimately will be coming back here. But thinking it would be a bit of an adventure for the kids (and us) to live somewhere nice and sunny and a bit different for a while.
Look at Guadiana still close to Gib and a very pleasant small town
Old Apr 18th 2019, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm based near Galway myself, so I suppose there are more opportunities in IT but would you be close to Cork? I get the thing with the gambling and I think everyone I know who speaks a foreign language, got a job offer from Gibraltar at some point. If he's in Marketing that should open other doors too and now is probably the best time to get a good job offer in Ireland. What about virtual jobs, where he would just need to travel to Dublin every now and then for meetings? But only you can decide really, so if it makes financial sense to work in Gibraltar then why not. If it's about more quality time with the kids in a sun location, you'd probably be better off taking a few weeks off and just travel to Spain without the added stress of finding schools etc.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Advice on relocating to Spain (Sotogrande)

Hello All,

Hi, Sotogrande is expensive, cheaper areas are a long way from Gibraltar but working in the Gambling business in Gibraltar is very tenuous. We have had friends doing that sort of work but they are always stressed that they will lose their jobs and some have. Its all based on tax efficiency and companies come and go. I would not risk my families future on such a speculative employment. It will all be too stressful for you. Schools, change of life, work, expenses..its not easy!
Old Apr 18th 2019, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Hi, Sotogrande is expensive, cheaper areas are a long way from Gibraltar but working in the Gambling business in Gibraltar is very tenuous. We have had friends doing that sort of work but they are always stressed that they will lose their jobs and some have. Its all based on tax efficiency and companies come and go. I would not risk my families future on such a speculative employment. It will all be too stressful for you. Schools, change of life, work, expenses..its not easy!
I agree but there are also many companies that have been around for a long time and the sector in general is growing but there's just no space for that growth in Gibraltar. The big problem then is that these people don't stay long and the same jobs come up again and again, so companies are already looking at other locations to expand. While you can attract young couples who are happy to live in a 1 bed apartment, families will really have to live in Spain unless they're happy living in a 3 bed apartment that will cost £2500 a month. If you add in the stress of moving a family, looking at other marketing roles would make more sense as you say. In 2 years you are in the same situation without a job. As mentioned, it's always worth asking companies in Dublin if work from home would be possible and only be in company for training purposes and certain meetings. Thanks to Brexit, there's been a huge growth in the Tech sector and if you look on LinkedIn, Employers are willing to pay a lot more than last year, so Marketing skills are definitely in high demand.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

The move doesn’t bother us too much.. we have moved around a lot in the past. The plan is to save as much as possible in the time we are there while also enjoying a good quality of life in better weather. I work remotely anyway, so it doesn’t make much difference to me.

I appreciate all the replies, but curious if there is anyone who has made a similar move with positive outcome.. If we turned away from any move, because it was too much hassle.. surely we would miss out on some of the variety life has to offer??
Old Apr 18th 2019, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The move doesn’t bother us too much.. we have moved around a lot in the past. The plan is to save as much as possible in the time we are there while also enjoying a good quality of life in better weather. I work remotely anyway, so it doesn’t make much difference to me.

I appreciate all the replies, but curious if there is anyone who has made a similar move with positive outcome.. If we turned away from any move, because it was too much hassle.. surely we would miss out on some of the variety life has to offer??
If you've made your mind up and you've done the calculations, there's nobody stopping you. At the end of the day no life is the same and all people move for different reasons. For me it would be too much hassle to be honest but if you are used to moving around, why not. It's probably just because I got sick of the whole rental thing and I never felt at home renting. For a few weeks holiday it's fine but then I just want to get back doing my thing without having to ask someone for permission. If you look at it this way, you only have 52/53 Saturdays in a year. The rest of the time you are working and on Sunday you are already thinking about Monday (Back to work) LOL. The holidays will be used, because family comes to visit. You'd be better off taking 6 weeks off to travel down to Spain and stop wherever you like. But that's just me.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future

Duquesa is only about 40 min drive from Gib and has lots of properties for sale. You can get a 3 bed house there for under 200k Near the beach and has a mix of spanish and Uk owners. Near Manilva and Sabinilla. There is a local school in the area. I know a couple who lived there for a few years and their kids went to school there. They had lots of friends there. Ultimately they moved to Gib for better schooling and jobs but we visited them a few times in Duquesa and it seems to be very family orientated.

https://www.costadelhome.com/3-bed-3...duquesa-384418

Or alcaidesa? I've no idea what it's like living there but properties are cheap and it's only about half hour drive.

But I reckon you'd be better to rent at first so that you can see where you really want to be. In summer it'll be expensive to rent but better than sinking everything into buying a house that is in the wrong place....
Old May 3rd 2019, 7:30 am
Just Joined

jonnymc is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I find Sotogrande rather soulless and one note, its kind of plastic but then again if you have a lot of money its probably nice to hang out with other very wealthy folks.

Id second Duquesa/Sabinillias or my favourite which is Estepona which is stunning with a great beach and nice marina, its a bit farther up the coast but its a lot bigger than the other options.
Old May 16th 2019, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough

It's such a subjective question but I too think it is a soulless kind of place. The marina is pretty to look at but compared to others further up the coast towards Malaga it is dead. Having said that I do know some nice different folks from that area and they all seem happy with living there. Feels like a marriage of convenience if you work in Gibraltar but I would recommend Sabinillas for more life and variety (and a lower cost of living).