Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice for relocating please, possibly Murcia

Advice for relocating please, possibly Murcia

Old Nov 19th 2014, 2:31 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for relocating please, possibly Murcia

Properties are very cheap in Almeria, but not many other possitive factors .......... not a location I would recommend.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 2:35 am
Just Joined

LadyGoneGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Is Almeria a bit dodgy then Missile?
Sounds like it's one to cross off the list!
Old Nov 19th 2014, 2:38 am
Just Joined

NKing is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again,

I just realised after I'd posted the previous message that a friend of mine has a house in Los Alcazares. She and her husband think it's great, but I can't vouch for it personally (have only driven through it on a very wet/windy day). and yes, small by Canadian standards, but that's one of the reasons I'm leaving it... too big, too cold and too impersonal.

Cheers,
N.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 2:46 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Not dodgy, in the sense of high crime rate. You would need to check carefully to ensure property was legal.

It is a poor region, sparsely populated with few amenities. It is quite a distance to nearest airport in Malaga.

As I said before we all have different requirements. I am sure many would be attracted by the low cost of living in the region. Almeria may be ideal for those seeking a quite life in the sun.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 2:51 am
Just Joined

Hmm... I think Almeria is off the list. Funnily enough I was thinking earlier that we don't want to be hours away from an airport, partly because no doubt my family will be thinking of 'free holidays'!
Old Nov 19th 2014, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Both Almeria and Murcia are very poor areas, unemployment around the 35% and rather desert-like in terms of culture and many times, in terms of landscape

They are cheap for a reason

The Costa Brava was mentioned. That couldnt be any more different to those areas. The climate is completely different, the language and the culture. Of course it is also around twice the price in the Costa Brava and there are some villages where you need to be a millionnaire to afford to live there
Old Nov 19th 2014, 3:10 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

As you are someone seeking to avoid "too big, too cold and too impersonal", I can fully appreciate that, and Spain has a lot of choices in that regard.

I don't live on the mainland, but I have to believe that like here, there must be out of the way villages which most expats would avoid for lack of "civilisation" or fear of being "isolated", yet in reality provide you everything you seek and more, at a fraction of the costs, without any isolation whatsoever.

That's what we've found, anyway, so I couldn't resist commenting. We were warned by everyone about how "isolated" we would be if we moved "out there", but frankly, we have everything we need right here in our little village, yet are only about 20 minutes from the airport, and 30 minutes from the city, plus almost everything is far cheaper than just 10 minutes closer in. So, I'm convinced we made the right decision, despite the opinions of others.

But yes, "hours" from an airport would be a deal-killer for me too. I'd have to believe there's got to be something in the outskirts of a city with a major airport, that most expats wouldn't even consider, but offers charm, peace, village lifestyle, and a lot more for the money, and is only a short distance from more conventional "civilisation".
Old Nov 19th 2014, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Here are three photos of Murcia, the first is from our house across the valley and village, the second is just up the road and shows how breathtaking yet uninhabited Murcia is, the last shows how bad the winters can be. The pylon was just one of a row of pylons to the village, the wind bent them all over like that. We get hailstones that seriously damage cars, car bodies can look like the outside of golfballs all dimpled.

Murcia is a lovely place but has to be approached with caution if you are not looking for a quiet life!
Attached Thumbnails Advice for relocating please, possibly Murcia-052.jpg   Advice for relocating please, possibly Murcia-035.jpg   Advice for relocating please, possibly Murcia-049.jpg  
Old Nov 19th 2014, 3:22 am
Started off with nothing

You might also consider being close to health care facilities a priority?

There are literally hundreds of villages, small / large towns to choose from and I feel sure you will find somewhere that suits your requirements between Alicante and Murcia Airports. You may be surprised to learn Murcia Airport is no where near Murcia.

You will need deeper pockets to find an equivalent property for sale or rent north of Alicante or near Malaga Airport.

no doubt my family will be thinking of 'free holidays'!
It is amazing how many relatives, you have never seen for years, develop a burning desire to see you once you have a property in Spain <LOL>

Last edited by missile; Nov 19th 2014 at 3:26 am.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Murcia seems to be a pretty big region Cricketman - are you saying that all of it is desert like in culture etc? I have to say, from looking at Bri and Katee's photos, the part where they are at least is a lot greener than Lanzarote!

We've made a list of places that people have suggested and we intend to sit down and do some proper research over the weekend - we might end up nowhere near Murcia at this rate lol!

Health care is another thing that we'll be looking into. As it stands, we don't need to be right on the doorstep of a doctor or hospital, but we wouldn't want a 100 mile round trip to see a doctor either! We also need to look more into healthcare entitlements and insurance policies, luckily the relocation advisor we spoke to in Lanzarote gave us a few pointers, so at least we can make a start.

Here in Yorkshire, it's 16.45, pitch dark, damp and cold (about 7 degrees). You're missing nothing!
Old Nov 19th 2014, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LadyGoneGone
Here in Yorkshire, it's 16.45, pitch dark, damp and cold (about 7 degrees). You're missing nothing!
Weather isn't everything!

In my years living on the Costa Del Sol, it may have been 18c outside but blowing a gale and feel absolutely freezing inside your house

I don't know everything about Murcia but I do know the province has a very poor reputation within Spain. It has been a region where the Spanish people born there have always moved out of to make a life for themselves. In recent years, ironically lots of foreigners have taken their place

Saying that, if budget is an issue, Torrevieja is one of the cheapest places to live in Western Europe at the moment. It is the cheapest city in Spain. Flats even on the first line on the beach can go for just 30,000 euros
Old Nov 19th 2014, 4:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman

I know. It was just a lighthearted comment on my part.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 5:03 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile

It is amazing how many relatives, you have never seen for years, develop a burning desire to see you once you have a property in Spain <LOL>
It's always touching to discover how many good friends you have when you have a home in a sunny place.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

In my years living on the Costa Del Sol, it may have been 18c outside but blowing a gale and feel absolutely freezing inside your house

I don't know everything about Murcia but I do know the province has a very poor reputation within Spain. It has been a region where the Spanish people born there have always moved out of to make a life for themselves. In recent years, ironically lots of foreigners have taken their place

Saying that, if budget is an issue, Torrevieja is one of the cheapest places to live in Western Europe at the moment. It is the cheapest city in Spain. Flats even on the first line on the beach can go for just 30,000 euros
Have you got a downer on Murcia?
Please explain why it has a poor reputation within Spain?
I think urbanisations in Murcia are better than those in Torrevieja, judging from those who live there who are are looking for properties in Murcia.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 5:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Neptuno
Have you got a downer on Murcia?
Please explain why it has a poor reputation within Spain?
I think urbanisations in Murcia are better than those in Torrevieja, judging from those who live there who are are looking for properties in Murcia.
I've always understood there's only one place in Spain (or anywhere on earth, really) that's not in disrepute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.