Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice re reg car in Spain or take back to UK

Advice re reg car in Spain or take back to UK

Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:26 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice
Default Re: Advice re reg car in Spain or take back to UK

Originally Posted by Fred James

The car was impounded and he had to pay the registration tax which was 1200€ even though he was not going to import it. The only reason he did not get fined 1000€ on top was because he had the ferry tickets showing that thew car was booked to return in 3 weeks time.

He was not allowed to use the car until it was starting the return journey. He was fully represented by his lawyer at the time.
I'm in the same boat, got my car impounded and now I'm going through the major hassle of trying to get released from the police so I can register it. I was told I had to go to customs to get a from before they will release the car. did that and they told me to go to the tax office and request the following

Liquider JEDMT uod 576 D.E.A.T. (not sure if I wrote that totally correct as she wrote it out by hand)

Once I get that form I have to go to the bank pay, how much I don't know, and then return show proof of insurance and they will release the car. Then I can proceed to register the car

Has anyone been through this, any idea how much I have to pay or why I have to go to the tax office.

As a note it's not worth driving on foreign plates, if you get caught it's a major headache to sort out!!!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:04 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
As a note it's not worth driving on foreign plates, if you get caught it's a major headache to sort out!!!
Tim, some people on here just wont believe you
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:41 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Tim, some people on here just wont believe you
Yeah was talking with a friend, who's parents have been here 5 years and still drive on their British plates. The main reason I got caught was that I live in a small town and often park on the street. so the police drive by regularly and you get to know the cars. Also I had been warned several times as well, so that didn't go in my favour
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:54 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
Has anyone been through this, any idea how much I have to pay or why I have to go to the tax office.
Assuming they don't fine you, you will have to pay the matriculation tax which is up to 12% of the current value of the car (it could be less if it is a small engined or diesel car at 7%). That is dealt with at the tax office.

There will be fees on top of this and you will have to pay for a special ITV and maybe make some modifications to the car to conform with the local rules (headlights for example).

You said :- "As a note it's not worth driving on foreign plates, if you get caught it's a major headache to sort out!!! "

I couldn't agree more!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:40 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Tim's problems should be made a sticky so to answer all the questions and solutions one gets on this forum.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:59 am
Rob in Madrid

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Tim's problems should be made a sticky so to answer all the questions and solutions one gets on this forum.
The nightmare continues. I've gotten 90% of what I need, but in order to get the car released from police custody I need a Modole 576, stopped in at the Agencia and they don't carry it anymore I need to download it from the Internet. Problem is I can't find the actual form:curse: I'll call the gestoria tonight to see if he has it.

The hardest part I find in dealing with Spanish bureaucracy is getting the information. Once you have it things go quite quickly. Once I get the form 576 things will go very quickly.

Anyone heard of Modelo 576?

As an aside one only needs to google "registering a car in Spain" and there are loads of web pages that explain the process.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:19 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
I will put something up about it when he has sorted it, you will still get the people that don`t believe the rules though. lol
Still it will be easier just to direct them to the link in Free Beer than getting threads 10 pages long.... do a search on UK cars to Spain and see how many threads come up. lol
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:43 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I will put something up about it when he has sorted it, you will still get the people that don`t believe the rules though. lol
Still it will be easier just to direct them to the link in Free Beer than getting threads 10 pages long.... do a search on UK cars to Spain and see how many threads come up. lol
Look, JDR .... it's clear he's making it up!!!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:45 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Look, JDR .... it's clear he's making it up!!!
LOL....
Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:39 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it depends on what area you live.and whether they are fed up with the english.around here you see english cars and vans (totaly illigal )with sighns plasterd all over them touting for buisness.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:52 pm
Rob in Madrid

update: found an excellent thread and highly entertaining thread on the joys of trying to register a foreign car. For some reason it gets hijacked half way through by some pension questions but never the less very entertaining.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456991