Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

advice please re UK tv in Spain

advice please re UK tv in Spain

Old Feb 22nd 2014, 9:22 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice please re UK tv in Spain

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre
who is best for a subscription card?

I have been quoted E199 for the card
be careful as some "card dealers" will try an get you to pay a yearly "handling" fee.

Usually if you supply the dealer with a UK address and UK bank account, then they will only charge the once for setting it up for you. You then pay Sky direct by DD.

However, some card dealers may not use your address, and use one of their card agents, and therefore charge you a yearly fee.

You can get a router for ddwrt (require to run must VPNs) for a lot less than 230 you have been quoted (unless that also includes 12months VPN access). Some VPN services offer you preconfigured routers for you.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you sat and pc guy, your knowledge is invaluable, I had a good look on line (ebay) for a router and most are from US, but are cheaper than I was quoted,

I wish you were down the road from me!!

I assume I only need a router to download programmes, like box sets etc or is it more sinister to trick sky that I am in the UK?

do you do a mail order service for the items needed?

regards
Al
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 6:24 am

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

I assume I only need a router to download programmes, like box sets etc or is it more sinister to trick sky that I am in the UK?
Sky on demand requires, a Sky+HD box, a Sky subscription.
I think the box sets require a Sky+HD subscription.
But individual catch up require just a sky subscription
Connection of the Sky box to a router running the VPN.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

vorsman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
as I have a sky HD box (not thompson) I am thinking of taking out a sky package with HD.

I will need a card, and I can use a my mums address in uk, who is best for a subscription card?

and secondly as far as I can see I need a router with a built in uk vpn, can anyone tell me the one to buy? I have been quoted E199 for the card and E250 for the router, seems expensive on top of subscriptions.

regards
Al
I have just bought a Linksys E900 which is one of the models recommended by Hide My Ass VPN. Here in Hungary it cost 10,500 forints and the Euro is at about 300 forints so about 35€
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Thank you sat and pc guy, your knowledge is invaluable, I had a good look on line (ebay) for a router and most are from US, but are cheaper than I was quoted,

I wish you were down the road from me!!

do you do a mail order service for the items needed?

regards
Al

sent you a pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

According to skyinmadrid there is a good chance that Sky cards will be changing this year so if you pay a third party up front to an address which isn´t your own in the UK you could lose your Sky anyway.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
According to skyinmadrid there is a good chance that Sky cards will be changing this year so if you pay a third party up front to an address which isn´t your own in the UK you could lose your Sky anyway.
There is in Belgium a site Sky Europe which appears to be an actual Sky site where you can buy all subs etc etc at exactly the same prices as the UK. Now I do not know if it is actually operated by Sky either directly or at arms length for copyright purposes or what. I dont need it but maybe someone could look into it and if it is legit then any potential problems with Sky would be solved and the information disseminated on this forum.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by vorsman
I have just bought a Linksys E900 which is one of the models recommended by Hide My Ass VPN. Here in Hungary it cost 10,500 forints and the Euro is at about 300 forints so about 35€
Have you got it yet?
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by vorsman
There is in Belgium a site Sky Europe which appears to be an actual Sky site where you can buy all subs etc etc at exactly the same prices as the UK. Now I do not know if it is actually operated by Sky either directly or at arms length for copyright purposes or what. I dont need it but maybe someone could look into it and if it is legit then any potential problems with Sky would be solved and the information disseminated on this forum.
It will be nothing to do with Sky UK at all.

It will simply be someone using the name Sky to sell cards to people outside the UK.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by klarika
Have you got it yet?
Yes and I am tearing my hair out trying to get it configured. I am leaving it until tomorrow morning and will start afresh. Main problem is getting the router to appear on the computer so you can make all the adjustments to it. So far not a dicky bird despite following all sorts of instructions.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

mancman76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

I need your help, or more accurately, me mother in law does. She's an ex-pat living in Alfaix and a complete technophobe. I'm by no means a genius, but I'm ok. What we need your help with may already be on here, but I'm afraid I don't have the time to check every message!

Basically she has lost all UK channels and now has to run TV via her laptop. The problem lies with her outbuilding which she lets out as a holiday home. The Wi-Fi signal is pretty poor so won't reach the second building, and as such the TV can't receive a picture. She's had Telefonica out and they say she only has a Wi-Fi strength of 2.4Mb an requires 6Mb.
The obvious answer would be a wifi booster, but I'm confused as to why the Telefonica people didn't suggest this?
Does anyone have a similar set up and/or can suggest a suitable set up to rectify the problem?!
I'd be extremely grateful for any assistance you could give.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: advice please re UK tv in Spain

Originally Posted by mancman76
Hello all,

I need your help, or more accurately, me mother in law does. She's an ex-pat living in Alfaix and a complete technophobe. I'm by no means a genius, but I'm ok. What we need your help with may already be on here, but I'm afraid I don't have the time to check every message!

Basically she has lost all UK channels and now has to run TV via her laptop. The problem lies with her outbuilding which she lets out as a holiday home. The Wi-Fi signal is pretty poor so won't reach the second building, and as such the TV can't receive a picture. She's had Telefonica out and they say she only has a Wi-Fi strength of 2.4Mb an requires 6Mb.
The obvious answer would be a wifi booster, but I'm confused as to why the Telefonica people didn't suggest this?
Does anyone have a similar set up and/or can suggest a suitable set up to rectify the problem?!
I'd be extremely grateful for any assistance you could give.
Read through this thread:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=826181

It explains how to extend your wifi range. The Telefonica speed of 2.4 Mb should be enough to receive SD signals via a laptop in the main house. The wifi extender should carry also carry the signal at that speed. Of course 6Mb would give HD TV but that would no doubt cost more and maybe why Telefonica suggested it as a solution to a problem that does not exist if she can get a good picture in the main house.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

mancman76 is an unknown quantity at this point

So if she gets one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006...im_computers_1

Excuse my ignorance, but if she plugs one of these into the second building, approximately 40m from the main house, it'll boost her wifi coverage? Or would she plug it into the main house and it'll boost it from there? Her money's a bit tight so don't want her buying something that won't help her?

Thank you so much for your help on this!
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Read through this thread:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=826181

It explains how to extend your wifi range. The Telefonica speed of 2.4 Mb should be enough to receive SD signals via a laptop in the main house. The wifi extender should carry also carry the signal at that speed. Of course 6Mb would give HD TV but that would no doubt cost more and maybe why Telefonica suggested it as a solution to a problem that does not exist if she can get a good picture in the main house.
I use an Huawei Wifi booster. Quite reasonably priced and easy to set up - you just pair them with your router by switching them on adjacent to the router pressing the setup button, once the led turns green you can move it to any convenient location which has a power socket. You can even chain them up to three times to extend the range even further. Available on Amazon and others.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MikeJ;11144578 You can even chain them up to three times to extend the range even further. Available on Amazon and others.[/QUOTE]

With the home plug solution you don't need to buy additional units to extend the range. The range is a long as your mains electricity cables and you can even connect it via a long extension cable if you wish. It's far more flexible than a basic wifi repeater.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.