Advice please

Old Aug 26th 2020, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please

You would need a very high of Spanish to do test in spanish. My ex did it and she is south American. She had to do classes and read quite a thick manual. Plus actual test is conducted in spanish so you have to understand instructions and respond. So unless you have a minimum of B2 Spanish it's a non starter.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

bariberwick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
I understand that there is a huge waiting time for driving tests due to the virus. The driving schools are getting really upset about it.
Thanks, my offer of employment is with a friends business, there is no immediate requirement for a driving licence as its not my main employment duty. But will be of benefit going forward.
regards
Steve
Old Aug 26th 2020, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute

Well I won´t even drive in the centre of Barcelona....It´s mind boggling to me......
Old Aug 26th 2020, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inbarcelona
Yes...I guess so...Can´t see anything wrong with that. I don´t know how good your Spanish is....but the theory test is in Spanish.
You can take the theory test in multiple languages. I have been in contact with a driving school here (it's in Alfaz) and you choose the language once at the test centre (the same as in the UK or for that matter quite a few other EU countries)
The practical test is in Spanish but ik ow someone who took it recently in Benidorm and she had a translator with her. And took her theory test in English.
Again you can do the same in the UK and I know its possible in Germany as well.

Old Aug 26th 2020, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute

That´s good to know. I did wonder if it was possible.

Although not so sure you could do that in Barcelona.

Last edited by inbarcelona; Aug 26th 2020 at 4:21 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old Aug 26th 2020, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inbarcelona
Yes...I guess so...Can´t see anything wrong with that. I don´t know how good your Spanish is....but the theory test is in Spanish.
You can take the theory test in English, my mate did last year.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

I know that you could take test in English however is that not because of EU law?
Old Aug 27th 2020, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

I believe that in UK as a result of Brexit you can no longer do a driving test other than in English. Will it not be reciprocated in EU?
Old Aug 27th 2020, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I believe that in UK as a result of Brexit you can no longer do a driving test other than in English. Will it not be reciprocated in EU?
Thanks to all responses, the uk only has one reciprocal agreement in place on driving disqualifications, and that is with the Republic of Ireland.
So im unsure like many others as to how brexit will affect that.
My understanding is that it is legal to not exchange, but to apply for a provisional spanish licence. And start the whole process again, with that licence only being relevant in Spain.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

There is an EU directive that says you have to be in the country for at least 6 months before you can acquire its driving licence, starting with provisional licence. In UK, when you apply for your first provisional licence, you have to declare you have been in UK for at least 6 months and I assume similar rule exists in Spain. This was brought in to stop disqualified drivers going to another EU state to pass the test and acquire a new licence and then use that licence to drive in their home country. I think it was a common occurrence for convicted German drivers crossing border into the Netherlands to get a new licence. I don't know what effect if any Brexit will have on this, but I'd have thought it's in the interest of road safety to maintain the status quo.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 11:41 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Provisioal licences do not exist in Spain. You can only drive a driving school car until you pass your practical test.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Joppa
There is an EU directive that says you have to be in the country for at least 6 months before you can acquire its driving licence, starting with provisional licence. In UK, when you apply for your first provisional licence, you have to declare you have been in UK for at least 6 months and I assume similar rule exists in Spain. This was brought in to stop disqualified drivers going to another EU state to pass the test and acquire a new licence and then use that licence to drive in their home country. I think it was a common occurrence for convicted German drivers crossing border into the Netherlands to get a new licence. I don't know what effect if any Brexit will have on this, but I'd have thought it's in the interest of road safety to maintain the status quo.
In terms of road safety I completely agree. And let me be clear i was never a habitual drunk driver. 30+ years without 1 point. And i wasn't even driving and had no intention of doing so.
Steve
Old Aug 27th 2020, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
Provisioal licences do not exist in Spain. You can only drive a driving school car until you pass your practical test.
Thank you for that.
Steve
Old Aug 27th 2020, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
There is an EU directive that says you have to be in the country for at least 6 months before you can acquire its driving licence
There is no such rule.

The directive on driving licences states:

"normal residence in the territory of the Member State
issuing the licence, or evidence that applicants have been
studying there for at least six months."

The OP is clearly not a student and not withstanding current delays under normal circumstances it's perfectly possible to acquire residency in under 6 months, that will be particularly so after the transition period when UK citizens become 3rd country nationals and because of the requirement for a visa can can acquire residence with only the nominal delay in administration.

A Spanish licence so acquired will be valid to drive in the UK however if you did come to the attention of plod as a British citizen your name would be almost certainly be checked with DVLA when the game would be up and jail time could well ensue.

Also I believe the facility to do the theory test in English was recently withdrawn, I'll try and find a link.

Might I suggest others who wish to offer 'facts' do the same.

Last edited by Notdunroamin; Aug 27th 2020 at 6:51 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
There is no such rule.

The directive on driving licences states:

"normal residence in the territory of the Member State
issuing the licence, or evidence that applicants have been
studying there for at least six months."

The OP is clearly not a student and not withstanding current delays under normal circumstances it's perfectly possible to acquire residency in under 6 months, that will be particularly so after the transition period when UK citizens become 3rd country nationals and because of the requirement for a visa can can acquire residence with only the nominal delay in administration.

A Spanish licence so acquired will be valid to drive in the UK however if you did come to the attention of plod as a British citizen your name would be almost certainly be checked with DVLA when the game would be up and jail time could well ensue.

Also I believe the facility to do the theory test in English was recently withdrawn, I'll try and find a link.

Might I suggest others who wish to offer 'facts' do the same.
Very interesting read, I can confirm It is not my intention to return to the UK except for visiting family. I will not be driving in uk or any other country, except Spain for the duration of my disqualification. Thanks
Stephen