Advice please

Old Aug 11th 2018, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Mitzybaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice please

Hi everyone,

my husband and and I are on a viewing trip early October in Albox and Zurgena areas, looking to see what the area is like. We want a little inland but not off the beaten track and would like any comments on the area in general. We want to mix with ex pats obviously to make new friends but want to practise our Spanish too.

Does anyone live live in these areas and is a good place to start looking and if not considering that we want to be a little inland are there any other areas in Spain that people would recommend us looking.

its early days but planning to move in a year s time and it has to be the right area first and foremost.

thanks in advance.

kathy and graham
Old Aug 11th 2018, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please

Hi!
Albox is a big UK ex pat area, some are leaving pre Brexit, some are arriving to beat it! To be honest, if you want to speak Spanish to a fair level, Albox may not be where you will gain experience.

Zurghena, again lots of UK ex pats but I want to urge you to do your research well......ILLEGAL BUILDS ABOUND in that area. Check carefully, you do not always have the protection you may expect and, horror of horrors, SOME British here will rip other perspective ex pats off in a heartbeat!

Good luck, plenty of choice so no need to get caught out.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 5:33 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola
There is an active Ex-Pat association called AUAN in Albox - joining them is worth every penny

Davexf
Old Aug 12th 2018, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

We live down the road in Mojacar Playa. Your personal circumstances are not available to us e.g. we don't know if you are retiring or are retired or like most first posters on a pipe dream. Viewing Trips are just that Viewing Trips. They are not even the prelude to an introduction to living in Spain on a temporary or fulltime basis. I reckon the so called Viewing Trips have done more damage than World War 2. Other factors kick in e.g do you wish to rent out your property when you're not using it? Is this a permanent move? What do you wish to do with your UK property? Do you speak Spanish or intend to learn the language? Have you discussed the adventure with your husband/wife/family?

If you are retired (or about to retire) I recommend you move in the off season and rent for no less than 5 weeks. Believe me you will know within that time if Spain is for you.

On the up side, moving to Spain is not onerous for most. Do your homework well, keep an open mind, leave room for a dignified retreat if necessary, don't believe everything you hear from ex pats living in Spain. Ignore blogs.

If you are looking for work in Spain you're onto an immediate Loser no matter what you want to work at.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi Leper

my husband is nearly 59 and I'm 51. We will definitely be retiring. We can't think of anything worse than retiring in the UK as we are both into the outdoors enjoying cycling swimming walking our dog etc and exploring. As my husband says he can't see the point in giving up work in the UK to spend 6 months of the year trying to keep warm in front of the tv. Lol
we are selling our UK home and the proceeds will cover the Spanish purchase with more than enough to live on until my husband's directors pension is released in 5 years time. We have a very savvy financial adviser.
we also have rental house in the UK which we shall be keeping.
we live 2 miles from nearest small village now and 2o mins from nearest town as we don't like urbanisation.
were learning Spanish but don't expect to be fluent but enough to show the locals we are embracing the language and we already practise it a little at home with each other.
on our holiday in October we are visiting some properties to get an idea of size quality etc but we shall be looking at areas and locality more as feel that needs to be right first.

thanks for your help.

Kathy and Graham
Old Aug 13th 2018, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzybaby
Hi Leper

my husband is nearly 59 and I'm 51. We will definitely be retiring. We can't think of anything worse than retiring in the UK as we are both into the outdoors enjoying cycling swimming walking our dog etc and exploring. As my husband says he can't see the point in giving up work in the UK to spend 6 months of the year trying to keep warm in front of the tv. Lol
Many people can also have a happy life in the UK, so don't talk it down to much + things can change when you get older. You can also spend a few months in the nicer parts of Spain, rather than focusing on one area. Try cycling in a semi arid climate in the middle of July when you reach 65 and where you are considering to buy, wouldn't really be classed as a place for the outdoor life. You don't get the pleasant river walks and greenways you'd find in other parts and apart from a town square with benches, what comes after that? You'll need a car to get around and once you get older, the coast might be too far etc. I would stick to the coast, or actually consider other areas. Most Spanish would actually travel to the North of Spain to really experience outdoor living, hiking, cycling etc. and people inland just want to escape the heat during summer and head for the coast.

Last edited by Moses2013; Aug 13th 2018 at 10:33 am.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Hi Moses
thanks for your advice. Something else for us to think about and good to make us aware 're possibly looking at northern Spain I love the beach and sea as I paddle board so we shall certainly look at other areas now. What you say makes sense. Do you have any suggestions for areas on the outskirts of towns or villages more suited. I have my map pinned up and any ideas we can check out on map and then arrange to visit .
really appreciate your input

Kathy and Graham
Old Aug 13th 2018, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Leper

It may be just as well that you like the outdoors as depending upon type of property you buy the problem in parts of Spain between January and April can be keeping warm in non insulated un centrally heated houses. It can be lovely warm and pleasant outside but freezing inside. Just like the Spanish heat the cold can be different it seems to eat into you, remember UK houses these days are insulated and we'll heated, many properties in southern Spain aren't. Not trying to spoil your dreams or deter you but reality is often different from the rose tinted specs view UK TV programs can paint.
​​​​​​​I would suggest you travel around Spain preferably at different times of the year if you can to find what suits you.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bob for your advice. Again something new we need to consider it's certainly a learning curve and very appreciative of all the comments I am receiving as I feel were learning new things daily to help us make the absolute right decision on property and location.

cheers

Kathy and graham
Old Aug 13th 2018, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Moses
thanks for your advice. Something else for us to think about and good to make us aware 're possibly looking at northern Spain I love the beach and sea as I paddle board so we shall certainly look at other areas now. What you say makes sense. Do you have any suggestions for areas on the outskirts of towns or villages more suited. I have my map pinned up and any ideas we can check out on map and then arrange to visit .
really appreciate your input

Kathy and Graham
I'm still working and far from retirement, so my reasons for buying were probably different than yours. There are some people here who live in the North of Spain, so they might be able to give you some tips. Of course some would already rule out the North due to climate, but that's not everything and there's a lot more to consider. We bought land not far from the Costa Brava (Northeastern Spain) and while it was more as an investment/holiday pad, I still looked at the wider picture and it ticked all boxes for me personally. We all have different reasons for buying, but I would really just travel around and see for yourself. It's cheaper to escape the winter, than escaping the sun in summer:-). If you love the ocean, stick to the ocean. Of course there are many options from Huelva to Malaga all the way up to France and then the Atlantic coast.

Last edited by Moses2013; Aug 13th 2018 at 1:48 pm.