Reload this Page >

Advice Please...

Advice Please...

Old May 7th 2006, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Freda77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice Please...

Hi All,

My husband and i are seriously considering a move to the Benidorm area. We both really love the place and have discussed buying a holiday home previously, but now we have something more permanent in mind. I'm late 20's and he is early 30's, i have a good job in management and he runs his own business. We don't really need my money, it's just an added bonus as he can more than support the two of us. We are thinking of starting a family and i just can't see a bright future for children here in the UK anymore.

Our plan is to buy a place in Spain this year, make sure it is suitable as a 'proper' home and then start trying for a baby. My husband will keep his business here in the UK and we will keep our UK home, as it's fully paid for. I will live in Spain on a permanent basis and my husband will commute - spending 5 days with me, 9 days at work in the UK. We have discussed it with our parents and they too feel it could work and are positive on the whole.

The long term plan is to look for suitable business opportunities/investments on the Costa Blanca and hopefully we can turn our backs on the UK once and for all. But for the meantime, the money my husband makes is too good to give up and would afford us a fantastic lifestyle in Spain. We have visited the Benidorm area twice a year for the past ten years and my parents do an annual longstay there in the winter, so we have a good feel and knowledge on the area.

What do you all think? We are looking for any advice anyone can give us - however irrelevant it may seem, we still want to hear it.

So, thank you in anticipation.
Old May 7th 2006, 2:11 pm
jennydor

jennydor will become famous soon enoughjennydor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Advice Please...

Hi,
You have made the hardest decision in deciding to move here, congratulations. I fully agree with you about raising children in the UK, that was one of the deciding points for us to move here.
The only real way to find out is to go ahead and do it. If your keeping your house in the UK then you can always go back, just be aware it takes a while for some people to adjust. The amount of people I know who moved to Spain and then back home because they didnt like it is unbelivable, and they only sayed 6-7 months!!!
You have to give it time and then if you dont like it go back. But at least you wont spend the rest of your life wondering what if!
Good luck.
Old May 7th 2006, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Freda77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice Please...

Originally Posted by jennydor
Hi,
You have made the hardest decision in deciding to move here, congratulations. I fully agree with you about raising children in the UK, that was one of the deciding points for us to move here.
The only real way to find out is to go ahead and do it. If your keeping your house in the UK then you can always go back, just be aware it takes a while for some people to adjust. The amount of people I know who moved to Spain and then back home because they didnt like it is unbelivable, and they only sayed 6-7 months!!!
You have to give it time and then if you dont like it go back. But at least you wont spend the rest of your life wondering what if!
Good luck.

Thanks for that Jennydor

I am wondering whether to ask about the possibilty of an unpaid 'sabbatical' from work for 6 months to try it out first.

Has anyone else done anything similar?