Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice on phones and internet for rural areas please. Is there a way???

Advice on phones and internet for rural areas please. Is there a way???

Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:10 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice on phones and internet for rural areas please. Is there a way???

Hi there.

My dad lives rural in tibi north of alicante near castella. He doesnt have a phone line and says they are hard to come by he has heard, or at least the telephone numbers are. Is this true or what he has heard is a myth?

He just wants some form of communication either by phone or cheap internet connection.

Does anyone have any ideas on what he should do please.

He does have a mobile and a laptop so are there any cheap packages out there for gprs to link his phone to laptop but the mobile is emxpensive for us to phone every week or are there any other ways of hooking him up to the internet that are fairly cheap.

thanks for your ideas and responses#

al
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:08 am
hf2
Just Joined

hf2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Advice on phones and internet for rural areas please. Is there a way???

I'm in the procses of getting a phone line to my rural house, there is a telegraph pole at the end of my drive so my agent says that it shouldn't be a problem getting it conected. He also said that if it was then there are other options in the way of radio phone and you can get a satalite dish now to receive broadband.
If you get broadband then you can get free calls between landlines from the UK & Spain using www.Voipcheap.com .
I think i'm correct
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:22 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on phones and internet for rural areas please. Is there a way???

There have been loads of threads about Telefonica… suggest you do a search. The company is notorious for is poor customer service. It is funny that one of the worlds largest Telecom companies can't sort out it’s problems in it’s own country.
Basically there is no answer, other than wait and wait.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:42 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Hi there.

My dad lives rural in tibi north of alicante near castella. He doesnt have a phone line and says they are hard to come by he has heard, or at least the telephone numbers are. Is this true or what he has heard is a myth?

He just wants some form of communication either by phone or cheap internet connection.

He does have a mobile and a laptop so are there any cheap packages out there for gprs to link his phone to laptop but the mobile is emxpensive for us to phone every week or are there any other ways of hooking him up to the internet that are fairly cheap.

al
Vodafone do a 3G card that you can plug into the laptop. http://www.vodafone.es/Vodafone/Empr...,10340,00.html

Advantage is that you can take it with you everywhere you go and still have internet, and that you don´t need to have a Telefonica line installed into your house. Disadvantage I think is that it is slower than a fixed line broadband.

I think it costs somewhere in the region of 36 euros per month.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:28 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Vodafone do a 3G card that you can plug into the laptop. http://www.vodafone.es/Vodafone/Empr...,10340,00.html

Advantage is that you can take it with you everywhere you go and still have internet, and that you don´t need to have a Telefonica line installed into your house. Disadvantage I think is that it is slower than a fixed line broadband.

I think it costs somewhere in the region of 36 euros per month.
There are also a number of satellite phone suppliers around. We have a friend who runs his own web site etc and has no phone, has to use a satellite system, but it is a bit more expensive.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:36 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

I am writing this reply from from my computer using the vodafone 3G chip. It cost 39 euros a month. I have also downloaded Skype and bought a hands free phone so can be sat outside in the sun talking to family in the Uk for 1.7 cents a minute. We also have Skype-in so we have a Uk phone number. Now all our family and friends can phone us at local Uk rates and its free for us to receive the call. If you need any more info then send me a pm.

Regards Sam
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:32 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam parky
I am writing this reply from from my computer using the vodafone 3G chip. It cost 39 euros a month. I have also downloaded Skype and bought a hands free phone so can be sat outside in the sun talking to family in the Uk for 1.7 cents a minute. We also have Skype-in so we have a Uk phone number. Now all our family and friends can phone us at local Uk rates and its free for us to receive the call. If you need any more info then send me a pm.

Regards Sam
yes please can you send me the details.

How many mb per month do you get for 39 euros please, and what do you use it for on the computer as in do you go over the limit alot per month.

The skype voice thingy sounds a great way forward.

Do you need the compouter on all the time to recieve calls and/or how does this work.

Cheers for this as my dad feels a little lost out there waiting for telephonica toget him a line in.

regards

al
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

betis is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently from the middle of January Skype will now be 'charging' a connection fee for Skype out calls.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:07 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betis
Apparently from the middle of January Skype will now be 'charging' a connection fee for Skype out calls.

vote with your feet then!

www.sightspeed.com

Same thing, but easier to use imho
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:38 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there.

al
Glad you put this thread on, we are moving to an urbanisation outside Castella in the next few months (not far from Tibi) and as we will also be needing both phone and internet connection I am checking out all messages with regard to this topic.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 3:23 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there.

al
If he can't get a phone line I doubt that broadband will be any easier to come by. If no phone lines are connected to where he lives, he can get one rerouted to his house - at an exorbitant cost!!! Friends of mine who live in a rural area miles from nearest town organised through Telefonica a radio-phone line. Reception not always good, calls more expensive but still infinitely cheaper than getting a landline just for them.

Incidentally, Telefonica have pledged to have 100% of the country covered by broadband by 2008. Also read today that they are aiming to be Europe's sole provider of the new Apple iPhone when launched through their Movistar and O2 brands - not relevant to this topic but interesting nonetheless.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:29 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
If he can't get a phone line I doubt that broadband will be any easier to come by. If no phone lines are connected to where he lives, he can get one rerouted to his house - at an exorbitant cost!!! Friends of mine who live in a rural area miles from nearest town organised through Telefonica a radio-phone line. Reception not always good, calls more expensive but still infinitely cheaper than getting a landline just for them.

Incidentally, Telefonica have pledged to have 100% of the country covered by broadband by 2008. Also read today that they are aiming to be Europe's sole provider of the new Apple iPhone when launched through their Movistar and O2 brands - not relevant to this topic but interesting nonetheless.
I wouldn't read too much into a Telfonica pledge mate! I'm semi rural and eventually managed to get Broadband, but I know of someone on the Urb behind us that had it taken off her with no explanation other than she couldn't have it any more. We're 3 kms from Oliva town, not exactly in the middle of no where, but the local computer co tells me that we are extremely lucky to get it at all as TF have been consistently cr@p at providing it around here!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:37 pm
hf2
Just Joined

hf2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sam parky

Regards Sam
Get off skype it's nowhere near as good as voipcheap!! there is not a single cost at either end!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:36 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza

Cant see how they can promise Broadband when they can't get their act together and supply normal land lines. But we will see.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Cant see how they can promise Broadband when they can't get their act together and supply normal land lines. But we will see.
I have BB, and my mate lives 200 mtrs down the road cant get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.