Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice needed - self-employed with health issues wants to move to Spain

Advice needed - self-employed with health issues wants to move to Spain

Old Dec 20th 2014, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

emilyemily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed - self-employed with health issues wants to move to Spain

What will happen if I arrive in Spain and register as self-employed, will I have access to public health system straight away? I think of moving to Spain because I know the country and speak the language fluently, I also studied there (on erasmus); I would like to register as self-employed and pay taxes, but I have a pre-existing health condition which needs regular treatment every few weeks. Not sure what to expect.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 4:48 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed - self-employed with health issues wants to move to Spain

Originally Posted by emilyemily
What will happen if I arrive in Spain and register as self-employed, will I have access to public health system straight away? I think of moving to Spain because I know the country and speak the language fluently, I also studied there (on erasmus); I would like to register as self-employed and pay taxes, but I have a pre-existing health condition which needs regular treatment every few weeks. Not sure what to expect.
not too sure how long it takes for the autonomo to kick in, but it will be €250 a month. and the health care isn't free. there will be things to pay for.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed - self-employed with health issues wants to move to Spain

Originally Posted by mikelincs
not too sure how long it takes for the autonomo to kick in, but it will be €250 a month. and the health care isn't free. there will be things to pay for.
I have a feeling (can't be 100% sure) that it's 3 months but if you have health problems will you be able to run your Autonomo successfuly enough to keep paying at the level they want you to?
Mike what are the things you think you still have to pay for?
Old Dec 20th 2014, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

emilyemily is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I have been running it successfully for 2 years now, despite health issues. EUR 250 a month would not be a problem. Mike, what do you have to pay for in the public health care? There surely is a limit of co-payments, whatever they are for? So, 3 months without treatment is not an option for me, I would have to start organizing things and go back to the UK, then come back when it's all ready, does that sound logical :/
Old Dec 21st 2014, 8:24 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It's now nearer 260€ depending on age.

BUT, with the new scheme in place you would start on 50€ per month rising to the full payment after 2 - 3 years (can't remember which).
Old Dec 21st 2014, 10:34 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You pay €50 a month for 6 months, then a 30% discount for another 24 months.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that's only if you've been unemployed for some time. Although it might apply to all young people. My Autonomo payment was 280 a month and if I couldn't pay one month...which I often couldn't it rose to up to 350. Before that you have to pay IVA (Vat) and after that you havbe to pay 25% is income tax. it literally is possible to pay out more than you earn on a bad month. Watch out!
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 6:50 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The only restriction is that you must not have been previously self employed within the last 5 years.

When the law was introduced earlier this year it only applied to men under 30 and women under 35. The scheme was so successful that later this year it was extended to all first time self employed.

I cannot find any reference that it only applies to unemployed people, but of course, they will be the main beneficiaries.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 1:56 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
The only restriction is that you must not have been previously self employed within the last 5 years.

When the law was introduced earlier this year it only applied to men under 30 and women under 35. The scheme was so successful that later this year it was extended to all first time self employed.

I cannot find any reference that it only applies to unemployed people, but of course, they will be the main beneficiaries.
to add to that - you must not have been previously self employed in Spain within the last 5 years, so for the OP, it's ideal

I know several new arrivals to Spain who have taken advantage of this scheme

here's an explanation I prepared for somewhere else
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AUTÓNOMO PAYMENTS.pdf (198.7 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by lynnxa; Dec 26th 2014 at 1:59 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

If you haven't done so already you would be wise to check whether the treatment you need, particularly any medications, are available from the Spanish healthcare system. What the UK will fund may not necessarily be provided here.