Advice Needed Please! :)

Advice Needed Please! :)

Old Feb 21st 2016, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

emmamckerr94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice Needed Please! :)

Hey everyone,
I'm new here!
Me and my boyfriend have been discussing for a while about moving to Spain and we would like as much information and advice as possible.
Okay so a wee bit about us: I'm 22, he's 23. I have a degree in health and wellbeing and have 6 years of experience working in various caring professions mainly working with those with learning disabilities and mental health problems.
My boyfriend has a computer qualification and he's good with computers, he has also worked in Tesco for 5 years and enjoys studying social science in his spare time etc.
We've been on 8+ holidays abroad together, and we enjoyed Spain most and we've realised that we would like to move to Spain while we are young with no real commitments...sure life is too short to live in cold rainy Northern Ireland!! haha.

So if anyone would be able to give us any information/advice that would be great!
We would like to know the best place to move to, how much we would need to save before we go, what we would need to sort out before we go and if we would be able to get jobs etc.

Thanks!

Emma
Old Feb 21st 2016, 5:40 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed Please! :)

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmamckerr94
So if anyone would be able to give us any information/advice that would be great!We would like to know what we would need to sort out before we go and if we would be able to get jobs etc. Thanks! Emma
You would need Spanish and skills that the unemployed Spanish don't have.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:52 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You would need Spanish and skills that the unemployed Spanish don't have.
I agree with Moses, you will need to be fluent in Spanish, especially in the caring professions, and would probably need some retraining in the Spanish system. Jobs in Spain are in very short supplt with an unemployment rate of more than 30% for your age group, which explains the fact that many Spanish young people are moving to the UK for jobs. If you do come, and you may just want to try it, then make sure that you will have sufficient money to last you for at least 6 months to cover rent and food, do NOT buy somewhere until you are certain. Be prepared to tear your hair out at Spanish officialdom and all the hoops you will have to jump through. Remember that, until you get legally contracted jobs you will have to have private healthcare provisions.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 11:33 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I don't wish to be negative, but the prospects for employment for young people is still pretty dire. This article is worth a read if you are serious about working in Spain. OK, it's two years old, but the situation has not improved significantly - there is a long way to go.

Spanish youth in crisis - FT.com
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everyone,
I'm new here!
Me and my boyfriend have been discussing for a while about moving to Spain and we would like as much information and advice as possible.
Okay so a wee bit about us: I'm 22, he's 23. I have a degree in health and wellbeing and have 6 years of experience working in various caring professions mainly working with those with learning disabilities and mental health problems.
My boyfriend has a computer qualification and he's good with computers, he has also worked in Tesco for 5 years and enjoys studying social science in his spare time etc.
We've been on 8+ holidays abroad together, and we enjoyed Spain most and we've realised that we would like to move to Spain while we are young with no real commitments...sure life is too short to live in cold rainy Northern Ireland!! haha.

So if anyone would be able to give us any information/advice that would be great!
We would like to know the best place to move to, how much we would need to save before we go, what we would need to sort out before we go and if we would be able to get jobs etc.

Thanks!

Emma
I agree with all the negative comments BUT I have heard of a company who hire English carers for the elderly. You may even be able to get a private person to take you on as a couple. Since you are young and have no commitments and are flexible it's worth investigating for life experience. Look in magazines like The Lady. And get on to the internet and search for house sitting with work etc. I'd recommend round the Barcelona to Alicante region for flights, poss jobs for a techie in the future and lots of elderly expats with needs. My only other advice would be to make sure you have an exit strategy and some money/lodgings with a parent, for if/when things don't work out and you run out of money.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 9:46 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I agree with all the negative comments BUT I have heard of a company who hire English carers for the elderly. You may even be able to get a private person to take you on as a couple. Since you are young and have no commitments and are flexible it's worth investigating for life experience. Look in magazines like The Lady. And get on to the internet and search for house sitting with work etc. I'd recommend round the Barcelona to Alicante region for flights, poss jobs for a techie in the future and lots of elderly expats with needs. My only other advice would be to make sure you have an exit strategy and some money/lodgings with a parent, for if/when things don't work out and you run out of money.
That will be their problem, they would have to register as 'autonomo' to access the Spanish health service, of pay for private treatment.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 10:50 am
Just Joined

SandieandGerry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone,
I'm new here!

Thanks!

Emma

Hi Guys, and nice to hear from a couple in the similar situation as us.

Everyone sounds so negative whenever the question of jobs is raised in Spain, but isn't this the case everywhere including here in the UK

Their is work available its all down to the individual and what they are prepared to do (believe me I know as I work in recruitment!)

My partner and I are in the same situation, where as he is a tradesman, plumber, plasterer, gas engineer and has been guaranteed work as soon as we get out there, and with me being a native English speaker I have been advised to do a short course to enable me to teach English, as all students in Spain cannot graduate until they have passed an English core of studying, hence where I would come in.

However I am not putting all my hopes on this and will be looking at any form of work when we touch down, from bar work, to working in a shop, to typing in an office, as long as I am earning money.

Emma please get in touch and let me know how your search is going, it would be nice to speak to like minded people xx
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:05 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SandieandGerry
Hi Guys, and nice to hear from a couple in the similar situation as us.

Everyone sounds so negative whenever the question of jobs is raised in Spain, but isn't this the case everywhere including here in the UK

Their is work available its all down to the individual and what they are prepared to do (believe me I know as I work in recruitment!)

My partner and I are in the same situation, where as he is a tradesman, plumber, plasterer, gas engineer and has been guaranteed work as soon as we get out there, and with me being a native English speaker I have been advised to do a short course to enable me to teach English, as all students in Spain cannot graduate until they have passed an English core of studying, hence where I would come in.

However I am not putting all my hopes on this and will be looking at any form of work when we touch down, from bar work, to working in a shop, to typing in an office, as long as I am earning money.

Emma please get in touch and let me know how your search is going, it would be nice to speak to like minded people xx
People are inclined to be negative because on a daily basis they see how many Spanish people are struggling to survive due to the unemployment levels. These people are well educated and have good qualifications and still they cannot find work.

One huge difference between being unemployed here rather than the UK is that you will receive no financial help so many of us prefer to tell you how it is rather than say "come on over and take a chance" because we would not want to encourage people to fall on their faces. If there were plenty of work we would be saying much more positive things.

Good luck I truly hope that you are successful in your search.

Rosemary
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys, and nice to hear from a couple in the similar situation as us. Everyone sounds so negative whenever the question of jobs is raised in Spain, but isn't this the case everywhere including here in the UK Their is work available its all down to the individual and what they are prepared to do (believe me I know as I work in recruitment!) My partner and I are in the same situation, where as he is a tradesman, plumber, plasterer, gas engineer and has been guaranteed work as soon as we get out there, and with me being a native English speaker I have been advised to do a short course to enable me to teach English, as all students in Spain cannot graduate until they have passed an English core of studying, hence where I would come in. However I am not putting all my hopes on this and will be looking at any form of work when we touch down, from bar work, to working in a shop, to typing in an office, as long as I am earning money. Emma please get in touch and let me know how your search is going, it would be nice to speak to like minded people xx
People are not negative, but it is fact that you need certain skills. There are plenty of jobs in Barcelona, especially if you have IT skills, or speak French/German/Italian etc. Getting a job can be easy, but it's the pay that's crap, if you don't have experience. It's different if you're an engineer, doctor etc. and I'm sure some people will manage teaching English, but many just do it outside another job and there are also enough unemployed teachers looking for work. It's not negative to say that you need skills that the unemployed Spanish don't have, but people are sometimes a bit naïve. After a wet winter, people really believe that as long as the sun shines they'll be fine. Never say never, but if people really want to move forward, use the tools you have back home to improve yourself, save enough money and then come. Still be prepared that you need to work a lot harder.

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 24th 2016 at 11:48 am.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Unemployment rate in the UK is 7%. Unemployment rate in Andalucia is 30%

Unemployment rate for those under 30 in Spain is 52%

The situation is not comparable in any way

I employ a team of 5 Spaniards. Each is fluent in Spanish, English and at least one other language (French, Italian and German), have a university degree and masters degree. The starting salary that THEY asked for was EUR1,000 per month. Why? Because there are very few jobs around and they do not want to move to the UK to find a job like their friends have

Last edited by cricketman; Feb 24th 2016 at 11:56 am.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 4:42 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You can't be serious. UK unemployment is now 5%. In Spain it has just got down to about 20% and for the up to 25 age group it is still 50% and 95% of these guys are fluent in Spanish.

Only Greece is worse and only by a small margin.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 6:50 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Unemployment in the Cádiz region for under 25's is 67% and 42% for over 25's. I know a 22 year old guy on 5€ a day retainer and 30€ a day if he works!

Davexf
Old Feb 24th 2016, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

I can't believe the amount of total rubbish that's posted on this forum these days.

It seems that you lot are brainwashed or something, repeating over and over again, fake internet reports.

Unemployment in Spain is no more than about 10%, certainly no worse than anywhere else in Europe.

It's fairly obvious that none of you are close to anything Spanish as otherwise you wouldn't be posting such crap.

The black economy rules. Everyone that wants work, has work. Due to free healthcare there is no incentive to go legal and pay taxes.

So, people, wake up and stop posting crap.

There are loads of opportunity for earning money. All that's needed is a bit of motivation.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avocados
I can't believe the amount of total rubbish that's posted on this forum these days.

It seems that you lot are brainwashed or something, repeating over and over again, fake internet reports.

Unemployment in Spain is no more than about 10%, certainly no worse than anywhere else in Europe.

It's fairly obvious that none of you are close to anything Spanish as otherwise you wouldn't be posting such crap.

The black economy rules. Everyone that wants work, has work. Due to free healthcare there is no incentive to go legal and pay taxes.

So, people, wake up and stop posting crap.

There are loads of opportunity for earning money. All that's needed is a bit of motivation.
Even though this post is somewhat blunt I have to agree that the figures don't show the reality. It's true that they don't take account of those who work in the black and they are a huge proportion of the native workforce. In a pueblo in Andalucia if you're prepared to pick fruit or clean or paint houses etc you can earn a small, but adequate living. For Brits though, used to PAYE and/ or a clearer/fairer tax system it can be a bit of a culture shock. And one which may make earning an honest living here impossible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.