Advice needed

Old Mar 18th 2013, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

londonbee has a spectacular aura aboutlondonbee has a spectacular aura aboutlondonbee has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Advice needed

It's a worthy warning to all prospective tenants and buyers that we both checked the property address on Movistar website and verified availability with the agent. Beyond that what are you supposed to do?

You can get ADSL here (my neighbors have it), it's just the local exchange here seems to have a capacity of about 10 lines for 1000 houses. And we live in a reasonably sized Barrio with hotels, shops, supermarkets etc.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 12:07 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Londonbee,

Have you tried the 3G dongle service? I have received 6Mb speed on it! There are many suppliers - probably the cheapest option is to buy an "open" dongle (available through the internet) and buy a PAYG internet sim card and do a speed test (assuming you can get a signal)

Davexf
Old Mar 19th 2013, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

londonbee has a spectacular aura aboutlondonbee has a spectacular aura aboutlondonbee has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi Londonbee,

Have you tried the 3G dongle service? I have received 6Mb speed on it! There are many suppliers - probably the cheapest option is to buy an "open" dongle (available through the internet) and buy a PAYG internet sim card and do a speed test (assuming you can get a signal)

Davexf
I've been using Orange contrato 10Gb/mes but I need 30gb+ a month to do my work. The line however is reliable and would be great the day I can get good bandwidth on one of these things. Unless there's a viable alternative I may have to pay 140e/m just to get a basic connection.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 12:14 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

If you know that the Orange service works - there are cheaper options who use the Orange network; I believe Carrefour use the Orange network - might be worth investigating - there are many threads on this forum

Davexf
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonbee
So today, after a long wait for ADSL, the Telefonica engineer finally shows up at our house. He pokes around for a few minutes, says he'll be back in "5 minutos" and then never returns.

According to my Spanish speaking assistant who spoke to him on the phone, engineer said,
"...it is not possible to install a line in your house because there is no line available; that is, it seems there a limit in the number of lines that can be connected in that area."

There are phone ports & cable already installed in the house which is reasonably new, so it's not like the house is a complete non-starter.

So we're really stuck and have considered everything from leaving the house to leaving Spain. We can't live in this house if there is no internet (I need it for work 24/7). And, we're wondering just how long one has to wait for a line to become available. Seems archaic, but then I live in Lanzarote.

Any advice?
Stick around for a line to become available or cut our losses and move?
Technically its a EU right to have a telephone , I have a cortijo with a sat phone as land lines and radio phones dont work there , it was supplied at the same price of a normal land line and came a note saying how it was financed by Brussels! internet via this is very slow BUT teleconica can switch on a faster option for a rather high fee.Check it out and say you want a satellite phone if you cant have a land line , dont accept a radio phone as by all accounts they are crap.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:46 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Technically its a EU right to have a telephone , I have a cortijo with a sat phone as land lines and radio phones dont work there , it was supplied at the same price of a normal land line and came a note saying how it was financed by Brussels! internet via this is very slow BUT teleconica can switch on a faster option for a rather high fee.Check it out and say you want a satellite phone if you cant have a land line , dont accept a radio phone as by all accounts they are crap.
thats what I have via Jetsur, it works, both for telephone and internet, bit slow at times but it works - unless they let water into the cabling at the repeater, but that could happen with a landline
Old Mar 19th 2013, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rotor
Somebody else told me about the EU rights. I wanted to confirm it before going to the agent and being that guy spouting his rights to the locals who couldn't care less.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 1:52 am
Just Joined

Matusa1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you sorted yet? as had the same problem i now use a mifi which is basically a dongle and router in 1,really fast and no phone line needed.