Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

advice for a family wanting to come over

Wikiposts

advice for a family wanting to come over

Old Aug 31st 2014, 6:00 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice for a family wanting to come over

Hi, butting in from the France forum where the subject pf "partners" often comes up.
If the couple isn't legally bound, then the children's mother won't have any "identity" in Spain. As a "kept woman" without any justification of domicile in her name, she'd have problems as an individual in all manner of aspects.
Not to mention Inheritance Laws which are vastly different in Southern Europe (in France, for example, a nominated heir with no blood or legal ties has to pay 60% Tax on the value of his/her inheritance, and I imagine it's similar in Spain).
As I advise potential expats in France, life (and death!) will be so much simpler if you get married before you leave the UK!!
Old Aug 31st 2014, 8:57 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris76
Just had another thought what would happen when I sold the family uk home after a year or so, would the Spanish expect me to pay cgt tax to them?
In the uk I think you have 3 years to sell a your main residence so would this mean with the double taxation agreement I'd be ok?
The 3 year rule would only apply to the UK CGT. You would also be liable for CGT in Spain if you were tax resident at the time you sold it.

However, the Spanish rules state that if you sell your habitual residence and spend the money on another habitual residence within 2 years, there is no CGT to pay.

If you did pay twice, the UK tax can be offset against the Spanish tax.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

chris76 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi again,just an update to this thread.

my father has stated he'd like to come with us and has put his home up for sale and will no doubt be in a position to move over before us.

he's just turned 60 and is planning on buying a house outright and living off modest uk rental income of £800 per month. as well as the occasional trip back to the uk to do self employed work if needed

now its just occured to me he wont be able to access the spainish health system as hes not yet of retirable age? if not how much is private healthcare likely to be as im guessing the 250 euro autonomo payment would be too much out of £800.

worse case scenario what would happen if he was to stay in the uk for 6 months of the year and treat the spanish home as a holiday home

thanks again
Old Mar 13th 2015, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

chris76 is an unknown quantity at this point

also the autonomo payment for myself

is the 250 euro per month so 3000 per year, it?

isnt NI in the uk 10% anyway,so if your earning 30k per year in the uk its about the same?