advice for a family wanting to come over

Wikiposts

advice for a family wanting to come over

Old Aug 30th 2014, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

chris76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advice for a family wanting to come over

Hi all just after some advice.

My partner and i have decided we want to move to spain probably murcia region within the next 12-18 months.

my situation is as follows

My bank says i can rent out my uk home for the next 12 months which would pay for spanish rental to get a feel for the area.

I am currently a self /employed kitchen fitter and also make a part time living by trading from home.
I am hoping to support my family purely from trading income while in spain although jumping on a plane to come over and do a months kitchen fitting work on a self employed basis is an option as i will keep up uk gas safe and my part p membership going till im settled.

My partner gave up work 3 years ago and will continue to be a kept woman in spain

I have a 6 and a 3 year old so healthcare is important will this be free and we will also need state schooling? With my partner not paying NI will she also be eligible for free healthcare? Is this what the NIE card is for?

Would i need to register as self employed if i plan to just stay at home and trade from my uk based trading accounts as im sure iv read that NI contributuions start at 250 Euro/month is this right??

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old Aug 30th 2014, 8:55 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice for a family wanting to come over

Initially you can access health care using NIC card, you need to register NIE if you wish to rent / buy.
If you read a.n.other posts you will find details of how and when you need to register as self employed and pay tax on your worldwide income to benefit from Spanish health care or pay private insurance. Private insurance for a family of four will be far more than 250€ / month.
Your UK trade certificates are not transferable to Spain.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

You really need to search the threads on health cover, education and tax implications as there is a lot of information you need to look at first
Old Aug 30th 2014, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=missile;11387416]Initially you can access health care using NIC card, you need to register NIE if you wish to rent / buy.
If you read a.n.other posts you will find details of how and when you need to register as self employed and pay tax on your worldwide income to benefit from Spanish health care or pay private insurance. Private insurance for a family of four will be far more than 250€ / month.
Your UK trade certificates are not transferable to Spain.[/
NIC?
Surely they are going to need private health cover for 1 year before paying into convention especial, or, if working in Spain, will be paying into the health system anyway.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Chris, I am presuming you have perfect Spanish (not school Spanish). I am presuming you work hard. I am presuming you have plenty of cop-on. I am presuming your rental income in the UK will be far more than your paying out for rental in Spain.

If any of my presumptions above is untrue you will be in deep trouble within a short time of setting up sticks Spain. Add in childrens angst at the move and you have a recipe for disaster.

If there is one thing Spain does not require at the moment is another kitchen fitter, hair-dresser, beautician, mechanic, painter, airport runner, jack-of-all-trades, plumber, electrician etc. Unemployment is running at 35% on the Costas for the under 25's.

That number you might be thinking about if all else fails working in a bar/restaurant is also a non runner.

Spain is in deep financial trouble and has not the cop-on, intelligence, will or desire to get out of it.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 9:49 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris76

Would i need to register as self employed if i plan to just stay at home and trade from my uk based trading accounts as im sure iv read that NI contributuions start at 250 Euro/month is this right??

Thanks in advance for any advice
The NIE number, not card, is equivalent to the UK NI number, but you would need one to buy most large things in Spain, like a car etc, and, of course, to work legally. You would need to register as autonomo to ensure that your wife and children will get free healthcare within the Spanish system, and yes it is €250 a month, but this is significantly less than the cost of private healthcare. You would be taxed on ALL your worldwide income in Spain, which would include any earned by popping over to the UK to fit a few kitchens. You will really need a trading business with very good turnover, remember that renting in Spain is only a part of the costs, and you would have to factor in utilities, and, of course you would need a good internet connection, not a problem in the UK, but a real PITA in Spain, as many places are still enduring less than 2 mbps speeds, and that isn't out in the sticks, but in towns etc as well.
State schooling is free, BUT, you do have to pay for all books for the lessons etc as they are not provided, plus pay for any extracurricular activities.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hi thanks for the replys

Apologies i haven't really made myself clear.

My situation is that im currently a self employed kitchen fitter,the plan is to keep up my trade memberships in the uk and my van/tools etc. so in case i need to make some money i can leave my family for a month or so and get a flight over to work.

When i said trade in spain i actually meant i trade the stock market/currencys etc. from home and this would provide income for my family with kitchen fitting in the uk being a (tits up back up plan)

I have no intention of getting a job in spain and I realise spain is in a mess but it seems to me that it is about to turn the corner in the next couple of years therefore to me is the ideal time to come over for a year while renting out my uk home which would pay for a modest spanish rental. That way we can gauge the area and look for a permanent base if it works out.

I have spent hours looking for info on the web but it would be great to get answers from people who are there unique to my situation.

For starters my main gripe is this 250 euro/month I cant believe a country in such a mess would discourage business start ups but i guess thats what i'll have to get used too and obviously the uk doesnt charge eu nationals £200/ month?
Im just wondering if theres any way round it for me,after all i would literally be sat in my home on the laptop and not setting a business up as such?

I guess what im asking is can my family access schooling and healthcare even its for the first 6-12months without me registering as self employed?

Im also planning on bringing my car over i know i need to register it and pass a spanish driving test but what happens with my uk no claims are they transferrable and how do prices compare with the uk?

Thanks again
Old Aug 30th 2014, 11:14 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for the replys

Apologies i haven't really made myself clear.

My situation is that im currently a self employed kitchen fitter,the plan is to keep up my trade memberships in the uk and my van/tools etc. so in case i need to make some money i can leave my family for a month or so and get a flight over to work.

When i said trade in spain i actually meant i trade the stock market/currencys etc. from home and this would provide income for my family with kitchen fitting in the uk being a (tits up back up plan)

I have no intention of getting a job in spain and I realise spain is in a mess but it seems to me that it is about to turn the corner in the next couple of years therefore to me is the ideal time to come over for a year while renting out my uk home which would pay for a modest spanish rental. That way we can gauge the area and look for a permanent base if it works out.

I have spent hours looking for info on the web but it would be great to get answers from people who are there unique to my situation.

For starters my main gripe is this 250 euro/month I cant believe a country in such a mess would discourage business start ups but i guess thats what i'll have to get used too and obviously the uk doesnt charge eu nationals £200/ month?
Im just wondering if theres any way round it for me,after all i would literally be sat in my home on the laptop and not setting a business up as such?

I guess what im asking is can my family access schooling and healthcare even its for the first 6-12months without me registering as self employed?

Im also planning on bringing my car over i know i need to register it and pass a spanish driving test but what happens with my uk no claims are they transferrable and how do prices compare with the uk?

Thanks again
you've had some confusing advice I see

yes your children can go to school here if you come over - you all need to be on the padrón for that

legally the children will be entitled to healthcare once you're all 'resident' - though it might not be easy to convince the powers that be of that. the adults in the family will need private healthcare, at least at first.

catch 22 coming up ... you are required by the Spanish govt. to register as resident at/within 3 months of your arrival - for that you will need to prove that you have sufficient funds or income & that you all have healthcare provision - that will mean private healthcare for you all..... unless you can register as self-employed/autónomo - not sure how that would work for trading shares.....

more about healthcare in Spain here

Last edited by lynnxa; Aug 30th 2014 at 11:29 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 11:23 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

In addition, because you will be in Spain more than 182 days in any calendar year and because your centre of economic interest (your family) is here, you will need to submit a Spanish tax return for ALL worldwide income.

So, don't pay tax in UK and possibly don't make NI contributions there (at least don't if you are making them here). If you have to pay tax in UK, it can be offset on your Spanish return.

There is currently a scheme running to encourage people to start of the self-employed route. You only pay 50€ for the first few months and then it goes up to the full wack over the first 2 years. I think this has been discussed before but I'm sure you can find details of the scheme by googling the interweb.

Can't see if it's been said already - the NIE is your identity number for fiscal matters (buying car, renting property etc.). You will ALL need to register as resident - this will give you your NIE's plus list you on the 'foreigners list'. Once you are making SS payments here, your entire family is covered. If you don't then, in theory (but don't get me started on this), your children will automatically be covered but all adults will need private cover.

Last edited by snikpoh; Aug 30th 2014 at 11:27 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 11:35 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
In addition, because you will be in Spain more than 182 days in any calendar year and because your centre of economic interest (your family) is here, you will need to submit a Spanish tax return for ALL worldwide income.

So, don't pay tax in UK and possibly don't make NI contributions there (at least don't if you are making them here). If you have to pay tax in UK, it can be offset on your Spanish return.

There is currently a scheme running to encourage people to start of the self-employed route. You only pay 50€ for the first few months and then it goes up to the full wack over the first 2 years. I think this has been discussed before but I'm sure you can find details of the scheme by googling the interweb.Can't see if it's been said already - the NIE is your identity number for fiscal matters (buying car, renting property etc.). You will ALL need to register as resident - this will give you your NIE's plus list you on the 'foreigners list'. Once you are making SS payments here, your entire family is covered. If you don't then, in theory (but don't get me started on this), your children will automatically be covered but all adults will need private cover.
I thought that this scheme was only applicable to unemployed people who already live here not for newcomers wanting to set up a business.

Rosemary
Old Aug 30th 2014, 11:36 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I thought that this scheme was only applicable to unemployed people who already live here not for newcomers wanting to set up a business.

Rosemary
it's definitely for newcomers as well - two of my students who have not long been here did it a couple of months ago
Old Aug 31st 2014, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

wow many thanks for all your replys.

Im guessing ultimately im just going to end up paying the 250/month but would that cover my partner as well as we are intending for her not to work? would my payment cover my whole family even though were not married?

Also im thinking could i not be classed as a uk resident for the first 6 months?
Still get the nie numbers even if it meant i couldn't get one and put the house/schooling in my partners name and then Foregoing any health cover for me and my partner but still get the kids in school?

That way we can look into it while were out there?
Old Aug 31st 2014, 12:21 am
¿Dónde estoy?

wow many thanks for all your replys.

Im guessing ultimately im just going to end up paying the 250/month but would that cover my partner as well as we are intending for her not to work? would my payment cover my whole family even though were not married?

Also im thinking could i not be classed as a uk resident for the first 6 months?
Still get the nie numbers even if it meant i couldn't get one and put the house/schooling in my partners name and then Foregoing any health cover for me and my partner but still get the kids in school?

That way we can look into it while were out there?
ahhh - the children would be covered for healthcare (assuming they are your natural children) , but your partner wouldn't be

you are required to register as resident within 3 months & almost certainly the simplest way of dealing with tax, NI & healthcare would be to register as autónomo immediately
Old Aug 31st 2014, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa
ahhh - the children would be covered for healthcare (assuming they are your natural children) , but your partner wouldn't be

you are required to register as resident within 3 months & almost certainly the simplest way of dealing with tax, NI & healthcare would be to register as autónomo immediately

so my payment would cover my partner even though were not married?

she woulodnt have to pay 250 as well would she?
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you've had some confusing advice I see

yes your children can go to school here if you come over - you all need to be on the padrón for that

legally the children will be entitled to healthcare once you're all 'resident' - though it might not be easy to convince the powers that be of that. the adults in the family will need private healthcare, at least at first.

catch 22 coming up ... you are required by the Spanish govt. to register as resident at/within 3 months of your arrival - for that you will need to prove that you have sufficient funds or income & that you all have healthcare provision - that will mean private healthcare for you all..... unless you can register as self-employed/autónomo - not sure how that would work for trading shares.....

more about healthcare in Spain here
interesting read thanks for that

so if i'm the one registered as autonomo i'd half to pay up to half for prescriptions

would the kids and partner get theirs free?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.