Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

advice for a family wanting to come over

Wikiposts

advice for a family wanting to come over

Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice for a family wanting to come over

Have you looked into the implications of not being married, especially as regards inheritance tax?
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:14 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris76
so my payment would cover my partner even though were not married?

she woulodnt have to pay 250 as well would she?
Lynnxa said that your partner would not be covered.

Rosemary
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:31 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't realized that you were not married.

It's now a lot more complicated - if you pay the Spanish SS I don't think that your partner would be covered.

If/when you all registered as resident, you and your partner would INDIVIDUALLY have to prove income/savings and health cover.

... it's so much messier when you have children and are not married.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

chris76 is an unknown quantity at this point

so would she be covered if we're married then?
Old Aug 31st 2014, 2:54 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

so would she be covered if we're married then?
Yep
Old Aug 31st 2014, 2:58 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Neptuno;11387462]
Originally Posted by missile
Initially you can access health care using NIC card, you need to register NIE if you wish to rent / buy.
If you read a.n.other posts you will find details of how and when you need to register as self employed and pay tax on your worldwide income to benefit from Spanish health care or pay private insurance. Private insurance for a family of four will be far more than 250€ / month.
Your UK trade certificates are not transferable to Spain.[/
NIC?
Surely they are going to need private health cover for 1 year before paying into convention especial, or, if working in Spain, will be paying into the health system anyway.
No he doesn't. As I said, initially they can use EHIC card.

What is best for him, his partner and children in the longer term depends on .... well quite a lot of things .... which is why I suggested he reads the many threads on this forum about the subject.

OP would need to make provision for health care for his partner if they are not married / civil partnership and the kids if they are not his?
For starters my main gripe is this 250 euro/month I cant believe a country in such a mess would discourage business start ups but i guess thats what i'll have to get used too and obviously the uk doesnt charge eu nationals £200/ month?
Im just wondering if theres any way round it for me,
Those are the rules. You will get on a lot better if learn to accept England is different from the EU and not the other way round. The only way around it is called tax evasion.
I guess what I am asking is can my family access schooling and healthcare even its for the first 6-12months without me registering as self employed?
yes
i know i need to ... and pass a spanish driving test
No you don't

Last edited by missile; Aug 31st 2014 at 3:57 am.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

What is the NIC card? If you mean EHIC, that won't do.being only valid for emergency care on holiday, and only valid for 3 months.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:23 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
What is the NIC card? If you mean EHIC, that won't do.being only valid for emergency care on holiday, and only valid for 3 months.
if it means the EHIC, then they can use it initially, until they become resident

so for a max of 3 months - since after that time Spain considers them to be resident, whether they register or not

although there is anecdotal evidence that some extranjerías accept the EHIC as proof of healthcare when registering, they shouldn't, & of course once you're registered you can't use it any more anyway, leaving you with no healthcare provision
Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

Iv accepted the fact that if we come over then i need to look upon the 25oE is the cost.

But it would be great if i can delay registering as autonomo for as long as poss just to give us a few months to decide if our new life will work.

Like i say i dont mind if my partner and i dont innitially have healthcare or were covered for 3 months on a tourist basis but the kids would need it as well as schooling.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:37 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Iv accepted the fact that if we come over then i need to look upon the 25oE is the cost.

But it would be great if i can delay registering as autonomo for as long as poss just to give us a few months to decide if our new life will work.

Like i say i dont mind if my partner and i dont innitially have healthcare or were covered for 3 months on a tourist basis but the kids would need it as well as schooling.
for your children to start school, you will all need to be on the padrón - by registering on the padrón, you are declaring yourself 'resident', even if you aren't actually registered with the National Police -that you have to do within 3 months

some schools/regions will also insist upon resident registration certificates before they will admit your children to school
Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:45 am
Retired and loving it!

Why, when I've told you that there is a new scheme where you only need to pay 50€ per month initially??????

As well as the padron for schooling your children, they will also need a health check by their doctor.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:47 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You would have to prove that you had healthcare costs covered, and that you had a certain amount of money coming in in order to register. €250 is the cost for autonomo, but this would NOT cover your partner unless you were married, it would cover the children, assuming you were the father. You would have to be on the padron for the kids to get schooling, and AFAIK, that would also mean getting residencia.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:55 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I meant The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Initially that is perfectly acceptable and is what most Brits would use before they become resident.

If you want kids to attend Spanish school you will have to be resident and then obviously you can't claim to be tourists and use EHIC card for health care.

You may find this link gives the information you require.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Why, when I've told you that there is a new scheme where you only need to pay 50€ per month initially??????

As well as the padron for schooling your children, they will also need a health check by their doctor.
Sorry yeah,that sounds reasonable.

So presumoing we got married (any beurocracy to stop us from doing it in spain)

my autonomo would cover cover all of us and apart from me would get free prescriptions? is that right?
Old Aug 31st 2014, 4:08 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry yeah,that sounds reasonable.

So presumoing we got married (any beurocracy to stop us from doing it in spain)my autonomo would cover cover all of us and apart from me would get free prescriptions? is that right?
If you decide to get married it is best to do it in the UK before coming here as this is another area that is difficult as you will see if you do a search.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.