Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ADSL outside of town

ADSL outside of town

Old Mar 21st 2014, 1:21 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default ADSL outside of town

OK, I know it's been discussed many times but I really can't find an answer to this one.

Friends have just moved into a house just outside of town. They desperately need internet as husband works away and needs to be in contact with the family.
  • They might be able to get a fixed line but could only get 1Mb ADSL
  • They have tried their local WiFi provider but they tried a 10m pole on top of the house and still got no signal
  • Mobile dongle is the next suggestion but will they fall foul of the download limit when using Skype 3 or 4 times per week?

How expensive is satellite ADSL?

If they sign up for a subscription TV service, can they provide ADSL somehow?

Are there any other options?
Old Mar 21st 2014, 3:44 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADSL outside of town

Originally Posted by snikpoh
OK, I know it's been discussed many times but I really can't find an answer to this one.

Friends have just moved into a house just outside of town. They desperately need internet as husband works away and needs to be in contact with the family.
  • They might be able to get a fixed line but could only get 1Mb ADSL
  • They have tried their local WiFi provider but they tried a 10m pole on top of the house and still got no signal
  • Mobile dongle is the next suggestion but will they fall foul of the download limit when using Skype 3 or 4 times per week?

How expensive is satellite ADSL?

If they sign up for a subscription TV service, can they provide ADSL somehow?

Are there any other options?
A contract (NOT prepaid) mobile dongle should be OK as far as download limit goes but it is best to check for quality first if you can. We checked by speed and reliability testing data on a smartphone before committing to a data only dongle - Orange works well for us. A prepaid (pay as you go) SIM will almost certainly give download limit problems.

We have friends on a Tooway satellite link and it is fine. There are many Tooway re-sellers all of who charge similar prices and there are various download volume and speed options. You can normally opt to buy or rent the equipment. Google 'satellite broadband in Spain' should do it. I would do it for you but my prepaid mobile limit for the day has just run out and I'm restricted to an unreliable 64kbps.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I would do it for you but my prepaid mobile limit for the day has just run out and I'm restricted to an unreliable 64kbps.
You need to move down the valley a little

http://hercom.es/
Old Mar 21st 2014, 3:56 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Satellite necessarily has a long delay time not suitable for telephony.

Is there a WIMAX or 4G provider in your area?
Old Mar 21st 2014, 4:59 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Satellite necessarily has a long delay time not suitable for telephony.

Is there a WIMAX or 4G provider in your area?
Yes but the WiMAX company could not get a sustained signal at 8m above the house. Any further up and it would be dangerous they said.

I think MiFi might be the best option from someone like Orange. The only issue is to find someone with an Orange data contract to try the signal etc.

Thanks.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Simon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud of

There are many Tooway re-sellers all of who charge similar prices and there are various download volume and speed options. You can normally opt to buy or rent the equipment. Google 'satellite broadband in Spain' should do it. I would do it for you but my prepaid mobile limit for the day has just run out and I'm restricted to an unreliable 64kbps.
Thanks for this, you've saved me making yet another topic . .

Regs

Simon
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:30 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but the WiMAX company could not get a sustained signal at 8m above the house. Any further up and it would be dangerous they said.

I think MiFi might be the best option from someone like Orange. The only issue is to find someone with an Orange data contract to try the signal etc.

Thanks.
All you need is someone with a smartphone. You can tether a laptop to it and do a speed test and do a bit of surfing to test reliability.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:35 am
Retired and loving it!

All you need is someone with a smartphone. You can tether a laptop to it and do a speed test and do a bit of surfing to test reliability.
... actually it's much more than that.
  • I have a smartphone but it's not with Orange.
  • I don't have a data contract - I just connect using WiFi

But I understand what you're saying - just have to find someone that meets the criteria.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:38 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but mobile networks have delays that make internet telephony frustrating, and some block VoIP and Skype.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 11:34 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by amideislas
Yes but mobile networks have delays that make internet telephony frustrating, and some block VoIP and Skype.
We have Orange and Carrefour prepagado (Carrefour is on the Orange network) and there is no delay and no VOIP restriction.

It is far from perfect however - mostly down to cost and ridiculously low download volume limits. Both of these problems would be mitigated by having a contract however.

For us it is only a temporary solution.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Try http://www.valesat.net/ based in Canals
Old Mar 26th 2014, 10:06 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
Try http://www.valesat.net/ based in Canals
Thanks Dave. I called them and they said 'yep, not a problem'. Called today to confirm a site visit and was told they don't cover Ontinyent! Typical Spain - left hand right hand syndrome!

Can't find a Tooway supplier nor a supplier of Airmax. Seems there is no way to get Internet in Ontinyent if you are not in sight of a WiMAX mast. Even Movistar/Telefonica won't help as the 'exchange is full'.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a second-rate country when it comes to the Internet (unless you live in a large city).
Old Mar 26th 2014, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: ADSL outside of town

Thanks Dave. I called them and they said 'yep, not a problem'. Called today to confirm a site visit and was told they don't cover Ontinyent! Typical Spain - left hand right hand syndrome!

Can't find a Tooway supplier nor a supplier of Airmax. Seems there is no way to get Internet in Ontinyent if you are not in sight of a WiMAX mast. Even Movistar/Telefonica won't help as the 'exchange is full'.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a second-rate country when it comes to the Internet (unless you live in a large city).
Since I found that Telefonica had no wires in the brand new box outside our gate and no intention of pulling them through anytime soon I have called Spain a Fourth World Country in some things it is world class and class leading but in other it is like being in Central Africa. A class of its own.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 10:32 am
FreeThinker

The Tooway equipment is designed for self installation so you should only need to get it sent to you. Friends who live close by in Southern Spain have this equipment and it was installed for them. Might be worth enquiring.

http://www.avonlinebroadband.co.uk/a...band-coverage/

I see they recommend Avanti rather than Tooway for Spain. I don't know anything about them.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 10:56 am
Retired and loving it!

Many thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.