Reload this Page >

Additional air heating system on zero tariff

Additional air heating system on zero tariff

Old Dec 25th 2012, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Fri-sche is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Additional air heating system on zero tariff

Hi there,

I just want to mention that I've built a solar air heater which is now automatically working to my total satisfaction.
The situation: old house with a porche to the South which heats up easily in the sun. But (former) cold rooms to the North. This seems to be history for us.

Let's see if somebody is interested in a thread around Solar air heating...

Fri-sche
Old Dec 25th 2012, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Additional air heating system on zero tariff

Originally Posted by Fri-sche
Hi there,

I just want to mention that I've built a solar air heater which is now automatically working to my total satisfaction.
The situation: old house with a porche to the South which heats up easily in the sun. But (former) cold rooms to the North. This seems to be history for us.

Fri-sche
Very interested in all off-grid systems. If this isn't an 'ad. Please share info.
Old Dec 25th 2012, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

tony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura about

I am also very interested in solar air heating, in fact I also am in the process of building one using beer cans for the collector.

But ! I have also been thinking it may be better to build a system that incorporates a solar water heater, and use the hot water to heat a small rad with a fan behind it to heat a room ( bit like how a car heater works )
I think this would have the advantage of using the stored hot water in the swh tank for night use, also because no direct vent into the room less chance of cold wind entering during the night.

Cheers Tony
Old Dec 26th 2012, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Hi angiescarr and tony,

I've built a collie of cidre cans (17 each tube in 17 tubes=289 cans), and I can now compare with an industrial product I've bought 2 years ago (around 900€). This delivers air, switched into one room or down to the basement to dry and avoid mould. It works, but doesn't really heat.
The selfmade one is a real heater. See some dates:
cool, sunny day, 12,9°C airtemp, not totally clear sky,

10:30 h IndProd > 22° // my collector >dormitory29° > bathroom 37°
12:30 h > 31° // > 50,7° > 63,8°
15:00 h > 31° // > 42° > 50°

(The max inside collector temps are around 73 °C)
Positioned upright on the roof terrace, looking South, blowing between 9:00 and 16:00 h. In this time the walls of the bathroom get heated and the dorm becomes comfortable and dried as well.
But I have to mention that we've done some insulation works before (8 cm styrofoam outside the North walls, 4 cm all ceilings)
The airstream is driven by a 220V/27W fan (225m³/h) through 125mm insulated tubes into a box (as sound absorber) with a valve (own constr.). Here I split to the 2 rooms.
Working of the fan is controlled by a temp-diff-steering without any problem. Sorry can't add fotos here.
Fri-sche
Old Dec 26th 2012, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

tony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura about

Glad to hear it works well !

Do you get any problems with cold air entering during the night ?

I was also wondering if a pv powered fan might be good as that would only run when there is sun, and not consume electric .

Cheers Tony
Old Dec 26th 2012, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Go to this site; www.builditsola.com It is a fantastic U.S. site for those that wish to and are able to build sola projects themselves.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Opps! www.builditsolar.com:)
Old Dec 26th 2012, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Hi angiescarr and tony,

I've built a collie of cidre cans (17 each tube in 17 tubes=289 cans), and I can now compare with an industrial product I've bought 2 years ago (around 900€). This delivers air, switched into one room or down to the basement to dry and avoid mould. It works, but doesn't really heat.

Positioned upright on the roof terrace, looking South, blowing between 9:00 and 16:00 h. In this time the walls of the bathroom get heated and the dorm becomes comfortable and dried as well.
But I have to mention that we've done some insulation works before (8 cm styrofoam outside the North walls, 4 cm all ceilings)
The airstream is driven by a 220V/27W fan (225m³/h) through 125mm insulated tubes into a box (as sound absorber) with a valve (own constr.). Here I split to the 2 rooms.
Working of the fan is controlled by a temp-diff-steering without any problem. Sorry can't add fotos here.
Fri-sche
Wow, I would love to see photos! Can you put them on a website somewhere and link to it?

Not sure I'd want all that styrofoam in the house, though, isn't it a fire risk?
Old Dec 26th 2012, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi angiescarr and tony,

Fri-sche
Yes I've seen this system and thought it looked good. I suggested to my other half that we try making one but he thought it looked a bit low tech. Low tech but functional however is my favourite Good to hear your experiences.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

PS. But I don't drink beer or canned soft drinks... Could be a bit of a problem!
Old Dec 28th 2012, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Damn! If you weren't so far away I would be happy to empty the beer cans for you!
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Hey guys,
I've checked the builditsolar-site. Fascinating projects and one surprisingly is and looks very similar to my project: "Building a Solar Air Heating Collector from Soda-Pop Cans" (Greg West)
The difference: I used longer cans because our friends (Brit.) use to drink strongbow cidre. My wife didn't want to have an ugly construction on our roof terrace, and so I had to build it in industrial design quality. Meant: the price for the alu protection frame was already 267 € !! Well, all interested friends who visited the heater were surprised about design and heating output.
Now after 3 weeks of running system I can say that I'm still happy with this solution. The highest temps in collector were around 75°C and I'm a bit afraid if the fan can stand this on long term. In my next project (narrow, only 4 cans by 22 length which means even higher temps!) I'll set the fan in front to blow instead sucking air. If the "old" fan is still okay then, I'll use this for the narrow projector and buy a stronger fan for the (old) large collector.
Why I don't use photovoltaic driven fans? Well, for the moment I decided to take the cheaper and simple solution, and the input in the moment is 27 W, less than a 40W bulb in a conventional lamp. Would be easy to change later to photovoltaics.
As mentioned before: I have no homepage to show fotos (but look at Greg West's collector....)
Happy New Year all together, in however heated rooms.....
Fri-sche
Old Dec 31st 2012, 4:14 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Fri-sche
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

I built one of these a few years ago before we went onto mains electric.
I built a glass-covered wooden frame and filled it with beer cans and added a cpu fan from an old computer that was wired to a small pv panel from a broken solar garden light.
I made a boring video of it half way through and even with only half the cans inside it raised the air temperature from about 14C up to about 60C. The cpu fan really helped pull the air through so I would definitely recommend some form of fan assistance.

Biggest problem with mine was build quality. Also installation requires drilling large holes in the house wall - one at the bottom for cooler air to leave the house into the panel and one at the top for warm air to enter the house from the panel. I never really managed to seal the holes so draughts were always a nuisance.
Then in the summer I became concerned about the heat in the panel and the effect on the glue holding the glass cover in place so decided to take it down. The heat generated during the summer was phenomenal, but of course, cool air would have been better.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by billgates
I built one of these a few years ago before we went onto mains electric.
I built a glass-covered wooden frame and filled it with beer cans and added a cpu fan from an old computer that was wired to a small pv panel from a broken solar garden light.
I made a boring video of it half way through and even with only half the cans inside it raised the air temperature from about 14C up to about 60C. The cpu fan really helped pull the air through so I would definitely recommend some form of fan assistance.

Biggest problem with mine was build quality. Also installation requires drilling large holes in the house wall - one at the bottom for cooler air to leave the house into the panel and one at the top for warm air to enter the house from the panel. I never really managed to seal the holes so draughts were always a nuisance.
Then in the summer I became concerned about the heat in the panel and the effect on the glue holding the glass cover in place so decided to take it down. The heat generated during the summer was phenomenal, but of course, cool air would have been better.

Hi BillGates,

you made a good job to lift the temperature up to 60 °C ! Where was the CPU fan located? Before or after the collector?
Because of 17 tubes parallel, my airstream might be a bit stronger than yours and also because of the more powerful fan.
Before I've built another (tiny) collector with a small fan, photovoltaic driven.
For the summer I intend to cover the collie somehow.
Because of my silencer box, splitting the airstream, the blow is noiseless.
I try to upload 2 fotos. On the 2nd you see the tube to the silences and one of the 2 tubes down through the ceiling.

Fri-sche
Attached Thumbnails Additional air heating system on zero tariff-solarkoll_045.jpg   Additional air heating system on zero tariff-solarkoll_053.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.