Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

About to move to Madrid

About to move to Madrid

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

newsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default About to move to Madrid

Now I get the nerves, (two weeks before)

I have a job offer (taken it up) about to start in two weeks just outside Madrid (torrejon de ardoz, Madrid).

Does anybody have any idea how to get there without a taxi. I can't find any stations on google maps.

Also what is the best offer currently going on internet (considering my job is for six months only), tv and phone? (or what companies offer these services).

What is the IT working culture in Spain.

Sorry about lots of question as an intro thread... Any other british/english people in/around Madrid?
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:30 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About to move to Madrid

Congratulations, newman ! If your time there is half as good as when I worked there, you'll love it.
I think we have a poster here called Madridboy, who should be able to help you on many parts of your post.
So far as I know you'll be on the main commuter line coming into Madrid from Alcala de Henares. If there's no station there, Coslada will be down the road. I'm sure your work colleagues can tell you the best option. Just a guess (and it depends on the zones)but a monthly travel card will be in the region of 55 Euros (including central Madrid). There have been a lot of extensions of underground lines in recent years, but I don't know if it extends out as far as Torrejon de Ardoz.
Here are some links you may find useful:
http://www.madridinsider.com/

http://aviewofmadrid.blogspot.com/

As for the IT working culture, I think it's very similar to the UK. A lot of IT companies are US multinationals like Accenture, Microsoft , IBM, Sun etc. so things will seem very similar. Except perhaps for the way people pronounce words like "Oracle"..
There are loads of English speakers in Madrid. You may get a surprise at how many Aussies and (especially) Americans you overhear. If you want to meet up socially just pop along to the Irish pubs near Tribunal metro station ( Moores and Triskel) at the weekend.
Best of British to you!

PS let us know if you hear of other vacancies going there!

EDIT: Looks indeed like the main commuter line from Alcala de Henares passes through Torrejon de Ardoz

http://www.ctm-madrid.es/servlet/Red...is&esquema.x=1

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Jan 2nd 2010 at 7:42 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newsman
Now I get the nerves, (two weeks before)

I have a job offer (taken it up) about to start in two weeks just outside Madrid (torrejon de ardoz, Madrid).

Does anybody have any idea how to get there without a taxi. I can't find any stations on google maps.

Also what is the best offer currently going on internet (considering my job is for six months only), tv and phone? (or what companies offer these services).

What is the IT working culture in Spain.

Sorry about lots of question as an intro thread... Any other british/english people in/around Madrid?
Cant help with any of your questions but the very best of luck-youll have the time of your life.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:37 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think you'll be escaping the snow though! It can get really cold in Madrid in winter (because of the surrounding mountains) so keep your warm clothing with you!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

I got this through http://www.rtc.co.uk/ (if you are interested) but wage for me is a graduate wage (because I am graduate with only 10 months experience).

Thanks for the information, I am feeling much calmer already.. I was thinking today I will miss the snow because I am from Bradford but I not going to miss the rain or wind (and it is windy up here).

Apparently I am here only for six/nine months then i have to move back to UK (thus the hiring of UK people for this position). I really do hope I make a good impression and manage to fit my personality into a good IT working ethic in the company. (and enjoy the sun and everything else while I am here).
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the info... I feel calmer already...

Now for the next thing I can't live without (internet) and everything will be sorted.

On with learning spanish in a fortnight (and then forgetting it all when I land).
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:05 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

steviedeluxe is right it can be very cold here in winter and you can expect temperatures over 40 in the summer.
As for how to get to work.....this will depend on where you are going to be living, if you can give me a rough idea of where your house will be I'll find you several ways of getting to work.
As for phone & internet just go with Telefonica, technicaly I think it's supposed to be a 12 month contract but if you cancel early what are they going to do, hunt you donw over it? They have some good deals at the moment, free wifi, 6m adsl and free fixed calls for 30+ Euros a month.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
C

PS let us know if you hear of other vacancies going there!

[/URL]
Crickey, you were only telling us a few weeks ago there were "thousands" of jobs there for "ingleses". Try that link you gave us, only have to put in "inglés" and there are loads of jobs there apparently.
Madridman is another well established site on Madrid.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 8:32 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by agoreira
Crickey, you were only telling us a few weeks ago there were "thousands" of jobs there for "ingleses". Try that link you gave us, only have to put in "inglés" and there are loads of jobs there apparently.
Madridman is another well established site on Madrid.
Oh dear, another sneer from Agoreira. Flawed logic to the extreme though. There are 1000s of jobs advertised in the UK on sites such as monster.co.uk or reed.co.uk but it hasn't stopped UK unemployment rising by half a million this year. And no, you're 100% wrong (again) agoreira. I never said that there were "thousands" of jobs there for "ingleses", only that 1000s of jobs there have exposure to the language as one of the requirements. Of course there are lots of jobs that require some knowledge of English in Spain, and of course many of them can be fillled by locals who've learnt the language. But it's an obvious start for anyone from the UK who's trying to find work (but only a start). If you have a specific skill and you're looking for work in Spain it may be an advantage for English-speakers. Even so the best help is actually having a contact in the company that's hiring, which is why I asked for the company name.
I'll continue to post links and advice to anyone who's trying to find work, despite your obvious bitterness.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 8:37 am
Not Banned (yet)

I got this through http://www.rtc.co.uk/ (if you are interested) but wage for me is a graduate wage (because I am graduate with only 10 months experience).

Thanks for the information, I am feeling much calmer already.. I was thinking today I will miss the snow because I am from Bradford but I not going to miss the rain or wind (and it is windy up here).

Apparently I am here only for six/nine months then i have to move back to UK (thus the hiring of UK people for this position). I really do hope I make a good impression and manage to fit my personality into a good IT working ethic in the company. (and enjoy the sun and everything else while I am here).
Thanks for the link. The agency looks like it advertises genuine vacancies (unlike some agencies I know) so I'll keep browsing it, although (fingers crossed for the interviews) I should be back in work in the UK this month after 8 months. Once again congratulations on landing your role; I'm sure it will be a great springboard for your career.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
. I never said that there were "thousands" of jobs there for "ingleses", only that 1000s of jobs there have exposure to the language as one of the requirements.
What you said was,
"A quick search on Infojobs.net using the search word "ingles" shows there are 1000s of vacancies - just there's (obviously) a lot of competition."
So you didn't really mean jobs for English people, you meant jobs for Spanish people that can speak English. Your link will be useful for Spanish people, but no good whatsoever for English people. Useful link!
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:01 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by agoreira
What you said was,

So you didn't really mean jobs for English people, you meant jobs for Spanish people that can speak English. Your link will be useful for Spanish people, but no good whatsoever for English people. Useful link!
Ha-ha You've just proven my point!

Of course there are lots of jobs that require some knowledge of English in Spain, and of course many of them can be fillled by locals who've learnt the language. But it's an obvious start for anyone from the UK who's trying to find work (but only a start).
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:38 am
Just Joined

I think I will have to think about that contract (but as I am deprived of internet, I am pretty sure, i will sign a contract soon rather than later).

As for how to get to work.....this will depend on where you are going to be living, if you can give me a rough idea of where your house will be I'll find you several ways of getting to work.
luckily I have found a house (hopefully no disaster befalling) the street next to my work in Torrejon de Ardoz. So as long as I get there from the airport, i should be able to find my way around madrid. i have i think two days + weekend to explore madrid.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 12:21 pm
Not Banned (yet)

I think I will have to think about that contract (but as I am deprived of internet, I am pretty sure, i will sign a contract soon rather than later).

If you do a search on this forum, you'll find info on different options to get internet access, for example wifi and/or dongles. If you're currently with BT in the UK you can sign up for BTFon (if you want) and get free Wi-fi coverage during your stay in Spain. I suspect also places like Starbucks and Irish pubs offer wi-fi access. Plus there are always internet cafes - loads of locuterias (telephone cabins) also have internet. So it may not be worth the hassle to get a contract. Up to you obviously, and it'll depend on how long you intend staying in your flat.

http://www.btfon.com/
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:28 am
Just Joined

what is the cost of living in madrid ?

(food + electricity + water + gas bills) per month....

Three days left before the move... and i am only allowed 20kg (grrr easyjet)

(still undecided about internet.. maybe i will see if i can pick up some wireless network)...

Last edited by newsman; Jan 11th 2010 at 10:56 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.