Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

About to buy out of reg UK LHD in Spain

About to buy out of reg UK LHD in Spain

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Azurial is an unknown quantity at this point
Default About to buy out of reg UK LHD in Spain

Hi All, I've done the usual search for the info I need here but couldn't find anything that was about out of reg UK cars transfering to Spanish Registration.....

Have found perfect car, it has UK plates and is LHD, but it ran out of reg in 05 I think, the little round sticker on windscreen had 05 on it and being an Australian I can only assume this is the year due for rereg......

If we were to purchase it would we have to pay the import tax? The car is a Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Van.

Would we need to go to the UK to get it registered so we can then get it changed over back here in Spain?

I understand we would need to get a gestor to do the change over as we have limited time and knowledge of this spanish way of doing things...

I do have NIE residencia piece of paper thingy....

If anyone has any advice on how we would go about this and some estimated costs, it would be much appreciated as we are going to test drive it tomorrow and I would like to be armed with a bit of bargaining power if it's going to cost us a bucket to register the thing.....

Thanks AL
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About to buy out of reg UK LHD in Spain

I have yet to see one of those on Spanish plates.
If the vehicle has been here since the tax disc expired, then it is here illegally. For a vehicle on Foreign plates here, it has to be legal in its' country of registration, therefore for a UK plated car, it has to have UK Tax, Insurance and MoT certificate.
Here, it is also illegal for a resident to drive a forein plated vehicle. If the current owner is resident here, the vehicle has to be transferred to Spanish plates withing 3 months of arrival.
If the vehicle was never officially sold new in Spain, it can be difficult to obtain the relevant paperwork unless the car has a European certificate of conformity stating that is was built for the European market. This is extremely difficult to obtain for a US Spec car.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Azurial
Hi All, I've done the usual search for the info I need here but couldn't find anything that was about out of reg UK cars transfering to Spanish Registration.....

Have found perfect car, it has UK plates and is LHD, but it ran out of reg in 05 I think, the little round sticker on windscreen had 05 on it and being an Australian I can only assume this is the year due for rereg......

If we were to purchase it would we have to pay the import tax? The car is a Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Van.

Would we need to go to the UK to get it registered so we can then get it changed over back here in Spain?

I understand we would need to get a gestor to do the change over as we have limited time and knowledge of this spanish way of doing things...

I do have NIE residencia piece of paper thingy....

If anyone has any advice on how we would go about this and some estimated costs, it would be much appreciated as we are going to test drive it tomorrow and I would like to be armed with a bit of bargaining power if it's going to cost us a bucket to register the thing.....

Thanks AL
1) NIE & residencia are two different things. Be sure of what you've got. You need NIE to register car, not residencia.
2) Check on Free Beer - much good info
3) You're right if it is a UK car the 05 round sticker would suggest that (end of 05) was the last period of correct taxation - but not necessarily. There may have been subsequent tax discs, just not kept/left with car. Either way you need to find out (but you know this already) how to got through the correct process to get it on the road in Spain. Be sure of what documentation the car has. If it's UK reg, it should have a VO5 (I think) document which tallies the DIN plate with the paperwork - ie it's not a cut & shut or ringer or anything equally dodgy.
4) Try the UK DVLA or DVLC websites for info
5) Good luck, hope it's worth it!
Just saw ValenciaTim's post, probably more relevant but my info is I think correct anyway re UK stuff
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Forget it, you will get billed for all the back tax, and fines for not exporting it to Spain, fines for not importing it into Spain and matriculating it, import duty, cost of changing headlights and foglight, then they will tell you it hasn`t got the certificate of conformity and to apply for that.

Have a read HERE

Last edited by jdr; Dec 3rd 2008 at 9:24 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Right..... damn perfect car aint so perfect after all!!! Thanks for the info folks.... will still take it out for a short test drive.... and then offer him 1000E for it. He wants 8500!!!!! Again Thanks.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

Lol why bother as you won't get it for a 1000E even if the seller knows it is HOT HOT HOT and doesn't want to wait until some MUG comes along and buys it for 4250E.

Best

Loco

Right..... damn perfect car aint so perfect after all!!! Thanks for the info folks.... will still take it out for a short test drive.... and then offer him 1000E for it. He wants 8500!!!!! Again Thanks.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

In any case, if it is really a van, then you just wil not be able to register it here as it is classed as a commercial vehicle, and commercial vehicles just cannot be re registered.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:34 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
In any case, if it is really a van, then you just wil not be able to register it here as it is classed as a commercial vehicle, and commercial vehicles just cannot be re registered.
I had one years ago like these, on the paperwork it was called a caravan. ;-))
I bet the ITV guys would crack up, I have seen a couple similar on Spanish plates though.
Attached Thumbnails About to buy out of reg UK LHD in Spain-dodge.jpg  
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:45 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Even if it's a LHD as this one is? I know people who've re-registered LHD motorhomes onto Spanish plates ok...

Last edited by Hillybilly; Dec 4th 2008 at 12:35 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Its from the US so it is all set up for driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. I dont think the owner has driven it on the roads for a while, just needs the money so is looking for unsuspecting Aussies like us..... Lucky I found you guys.

Its a real shame if we cant get it though as it is in perfect condition.... Dusty Pink Velvet Interior, 'party lights', even has a TV and VCR inbetween the front seats..... and the rear bench seats convert to a bed.......electronically even! So Sad....

Last edited by Azurial; Dec 4th 2008 at 10:54 am.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

There always loads for sale on Ebay in the UK, lots around the £5000 mark.
At least if you bought one there, it would be legal in the UK, and Spain for 3 months if you drove it down, and you would still be in pocket!!!
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:34 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Its from the US so it is all set up for driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. I dont think the owner has driven it on the roads for a while, just needs the money so is looking for unsuspecting Aussies like us..... Lucky I found you guys.

Its a real shame if we cant get it though as it is in perfect condition.... Dusty Pink Velvet Interior, 'party lights', even has a TV and VCR inbetween the front seats..... and the rear bench seats convert to a bed.......electronically even! So Sad....
Legally you cannot use the TV screen whilst driving so it is not a good thing to have. Besides if you did purchase such a rarity here in Spain have you thought about the supplies of spares? I bet even simple things like filters are hard to come by, unless you use ebay.

Originally Posted by valenciatim
There always loads for sale on Ebay in the UK, lots around the £5000 mark.
At least if you bought one there, it would be legal in the UK, and Spain for 3 months if you drove it down, and you would still be in pocket!!!
How, if you bought it in the U.K. you would still need a U.K. address for the registration and insurance. Also can you purchase insurance for just 3 months in the U.K.?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo

How, if you bought it in the U.K. you would still need a U.K. address for the registration and insurance. Also can you purchase insurance for just 3 months in the U.K.?
Sorry, I forgot that the OP was from Aus and not likely to have someone with a UK address to use!
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Well we went to see it and he says its been reged in the UK and taxes paid to date, or so says the owner, didn't see the log book though he assured us there was one... Could I find out if it has been paid or would i have to pay to find that out?

Anyway were off to the gestor person tomorrow to see if they can give us a quote for how much it would cost to transfer it all.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well we went to see it and he says its been reged in the UK and taxes paid to date, or so says the owner, didn't see the log book though he assured us there was one... Could I find out if it has been paid or would i have to pay to find that out?

Anyway were off to the gestor person tomorrow to see if they can give us a quote for how much it would cost to transfer it all.

Thanks again for all your help.
The Gestor will have no idea of the costs involved in getting it through an ITV test or even if it is possible.
If the owner says taxes have been paid, then the vehicle will be displaying a tax disc, but it's still illegal if it's been here more than 3 months.
Honestly, you would be better off finding a Spanish registered vehicle.
If you are determined to buy it, why not ask the owner to submit it for an ITV test and offer to pay for the test if it passes? At least then you will know
if it can be registered here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.