Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

90/180 day rule travelling with EU spouse

90/180 day rule travelling with EU spouse

Old Jul 6th 2023, 12:36 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 90/180 day rule travelling with EU spouse

Originally Posted by Lou71

EU nationals don't need to take residency if they are taking a six month holiday and travelling as tourists. It would be quite ridiculous for someone who regularly spends six months every year in an EU state (which thousands upon thousands of EU nationals do) to keep chopping and changing their residency status. Schengen rules trump residency rules and the whole idea of EES is to catch third country overstayers and make the internal Schengen borders as easy, frictionless and invisible as possible for EU nationals.
That is completely false! Of course EU citizens must take residency if they intend staying longer than 90 days - that is the law. However, in practice, they aren't challenged.
Old Jul 6th 2023, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
In all of my replies, I've written it with the understanding that the EU citizen is the OP as he will be travelling on his EU passport and the non-EU citizen is his wife.

The EU citizen 90-day rule is 90 day per visit. To visit Portugal for more than 90 days and follow the letter of the law, they can legitimately fly in to Portugal, stay for a while, go on a day trip to Spain, return to Portugal, and the EU citizen 90-day clock is reset to 0.

Would a border guard want to see proof? Receipts, newspapers, photo of his wife standing in front of the blue "España" sign on the border? Who knows... not that two wrongs make a right but they didn't really get bothered with British "swallows" spending the winter in Spain.
I totally agree with all of what you have said. All I'm saying is the 90 day rule does apply to OP so to stay right side of rules ad you say easiest way is a short trip out of Portugal to re set his clock and wife is allowed to stay with him.
Old Jul 6th 2023, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooftile
Thanks all for your inputs. Most informative and very clear now on the process. One Q with the EES, if anyone knows.

My wife UK 3rd country accompanies me, EU citizen into Portugal or Spain…doesn’t matter. We bypass the EES and both proceed to the manual Border Control. My wife’s passport is stamped. All’s well. She then goes back to the UK on her own a week later and has to now pass through the EES. The EES system doesn’t have a corresponding entry logged in its own database as her entry a week earlier was done manually?

Does the EES effectively ignore the lack of entry record? Surely it has to know it to calculate overstayers? Or is the manual scan and ESS scan linked somehow so the entry and exit are instantly synchronised? If they are then how is the EES exit date reconciled as she was entered under FOM rules?
I would guess ( I'm no expert) but currently EES isn't full operating so its just electronically checking stored passport details to electronically identify passport holder. In the circumstances you describe if it identified your wife as overstaying I would guess there would need to be human interaction from border officials and your wife shows her passport stamp for entry, so no overstay.
Old Jul 6th 2023, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Rooftile is an unknown quantity at this point

Appreciate your response but my wife returns after I week ! No question of overstaying in theory or practice. My query is how does the EES resolve a FOM manual border check on arrival.
Old Jul 6th 2023, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rooftile
Appreciate your response but my wife returns after I week ! No question of overstaying in theory or practice. My query is how does the EES resolve a FOM manual border check on arrival.
Yes sorry I wasn't suggesting she had. I was referring to fact as you mentioned that EES may trigger as no record of your wife entering. I'm afraid I am not knowledgeable of how the EES system works.
​​​​​​

Last edited by bobd22; Jul 6th 2023 at 7:01 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2023, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Nope.... Because in Spanish law (not the EU) staying longer than 90 days forces you to register as a legal resident of Spain...

Its stated quite clearly here.
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/spa...m%20in%20Spain.

You (as an EU country holding citizen) and you wife can stay for more than 90 days BUT you will have to then become a Spanish resident and your partner can then apply for a visa to stay with you...
There has never been a ruling, law etc that says you can stay as long as you like if you have an EU country passport. Its 90 days no matter what passport you hold..
You are technically here illegally by overstaying even if you have an EU country passport..

The fact that many do and shed loads of Brits did before B day doesn't matter.
The law states you must apply for residency once the 90 days is up, the fact of no hard borders makes it hard to Police but that just shows how stupid the law is..

This is something that gets my goat, we have French, Dutch and German couples in the village who have been here for years, are non residents and have no desire to be (usually because its better financially for them) and they think the FOM act allows them to just move country and stay without consequence for however long they wish.
When I point out that its wrong all I get is the 'shouldn't have voted for Brexit then' comment...

Anyway the law here is rubbish, you wont even get questioned (I know this for a fact as I personally know a UK couple with UK passports who stayed for 170 days, went back to the UK for the NLV appointment, came back here two days later and on the 1st July travelled back to get the Visa in their passports and then back here yesterday.) Nothing was mentioned as they left Alicante, at the Consulate, or on their return.... There are others I know of as well....
Until the ETIAS thing starts, its all down to the border guard on the day and they dont care. My son was here a couple of weeks ago and his passport was not stamped when arriving (nor were any of the others in the huge queue) nor when he left to go back to the UK...he did ask but was just waved through....

Rant over the above is my 2c. I wouldn't overstay but what you do is your bit of string...
Remember once people start ignoring the little rules, after a while the bigger ones become easier to break.
Rules may differ to Spain: I hold a German p.port & I can move to other EU countries for longer than 90 days without applying for residency. Have done this many times. Some countries require you register where you live (address) but no further requirement unless you want to work or get benefits. Once I exceed 180 days I become liable for tax.
Old Jul 8th 2023, 10:59 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
Rules may differ to Spain: I hold a German p.port & I can move to other EU countries for longer than 90 days without applying for residency. Have done this many times. Some countries require you register where you live (address) but no further requirement unless you want to work or get benefits. Once I exceed 180 days I become liable for tax.
I suspect (in fact I am very sure) you are breaking the rules. ALL EU citizens must register on the foreigners list if they plan to stay longer than 90 days.

However, there are very few checks to make sure you don't overstay.

You certainly must NOT go on the padron as a non-resident!
Old Jul 8th 2023, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

You are Totally incorrect....
Spain requires you to sign on the foreigners register if you want to staÿ ĺonger than 90 days!

Steve
Old Jul 8th 2023, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you but I doubt anyone else on here will.

Nobody is expected to become resident in Spain if they are a tourist on a six month holiday - any longer than 180 days means you are automatically tax resident.

There is some vague rule about EU nationals needing to register their presence after 90 days in Spain (signing on the padron perhaps?) and Portugal but I don't know anyone who has registered (as what? A tourist?) and I have never seen the form that EU nationals are supposed to complete when they register as tourists after 90 days.

Taking residency is a different matter entirely and nobody in their right mind is going to start the procedure to become resident in Spain when they are leaving in three months' time, it's completely bonkers.
Old Jul 8th 2023, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody is expected to become resident in Spain if they are a tourist on a six month holiday - any longer than 180 days means you are automatically tax resident.

There is some vague rule about EU nationals needing to register their presence after 90 days in Spain (signing on the padron perhaps?) and Portugal but I don't know anyone who has registered (as what? A tourist?) and I have never seen the form that EU nationals are supposed to complete when they register as tourists after 90 days.

Taking residency is a different matter entirely and nobody in their right mind is going to start the procedure to become resident in Spain when they are leaving in three months' time, it's completely bonkers.
Yes Lou the whole thing is farcical. Bureaucracy at its finest. Because of possible tax liability I can understand the 183 day rule but to me it makes no sense whether you stay 5 months in one EU country or stay 3 months in Portugal, 3 months in Spain and/or 3 months in France I am really trying hard to understand the reason. What do longstay motorhome tourists do?

Old Jul 8th 2023, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Nope the FOM act states that you as an EU country citizen can freely move around the countries in the zone. BUT you must obey the local rules about residency.
Germany the country you hail from has this in its laws.​​​​
Residence for EU citizens in Germany can be taken up through The European Union freedom of movement rules, which allow EU citizens to work, study or do training in Germany without a VISA or residence permit. With just a valid national ID card or passport, you can stay in Germany up to three (3) months. This also applies to your family.

If you are planning to stay in Germany for longer than three months, you would need to provide proof that you are able to cover living expenses for you and your dependents. The same rights apply to EFTA countries - Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein.

Link to the text here if you wont believe it.
https://www.welcome-center-germany.c...20(3)%20months.

Spain has in law that anyone wishing to or staying longer than 90 days (even if German etc) must register as a resident...(in fact the UK was the ONLY EU country who allowed and still does allow 180 days) due to some rules it made donkeys ago with the Commonwealth countries....
The fact that most dont and its impossible to check doesnt matter. THE LAW IS CLEAR...

You and my French neighbours and all the Brits that were here before Bday were in essence breaking the law, again just because its not enforced dont make it right.
And in case the above aint clear.
Here it is in monochrome from the official European Union website.

​​​​​​https://commission.europa.eu/strateg...d-residence_en

The right to free movement

All EU citizens and their family members have the right to move and reside freely within the EU. This fundamental right is established by Article 21 of the Treaty on the functioning of the European Union and Article 45 of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights.

The conditions for the exercise of the right of free movement and residence within the territory of the Member States by EU citizens and their family members are set out in the Free Movement Directive 2004/38/EC:
  • EU citizens can live in another EU country for up to three months without any requirements other than holding a valid identity card or passport.
  • In order to stay in another EU country for more than three months, EU citizens have to meet certain conditions depending on their status (for example worker, self-employed, student, etc.) and may be asked to comply with administrative formalities.
Not my 2c this time but the law as set down by your EU overloads....

Last edited by Barriej; Jul 8th 2023 at 2:18 pm. Reason: Spelling cause I cant...
Old Jul 8th 2023, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Not a vague rule but an iron clad one, see my post above.....
You as an Eu citizen allowed your countries representative to vote it into EU law.....

You (and others) could at least familiarise yourself with the FOM rules etc.
One day there may be questions to answer......
Old Jul 8th 2023, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope the FOM act states that you as an EU country citizen can freely move around the countries in the zone. BUT you must obey the local rules about residency.
Germany the country you hail from has this in its laws.​​​​
Residence for EU citizens in Germany can be taken up through The European Union freedom of movement rules, which allow EU citizens to work, study or do training in Germany without a VISA or residence permit. With just a valid national ID card or passport, you can stay in Germany up to three (3) months. This also applies to your family.

If you are planning to stay in Germany for longer than three months, you would need to provide proof that you are able to cover living expenses for you and your dependents. The same rights apply to EFTA countries - Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein.

Link to the text here if you wont believe it.
https://www.welcome-center-germany.c...20(3)%20months.

Spain has in law that anyone wishing to or staying longer than 90 days (even if German etc) must register as a resident...(in fact the UK was the ONLY EU country who allowed and still does allow 180 days) due to some rules it made donkeys ago with the Commonwealth countries....
The fact that most dont and its impossible to check doesnt matter. THE LAW IS CLEAR...

You and my French neighbours and all the Brits that were here before Bday were in essence breaking the law, again just because its not enforced dont make it right.
And in case the above aint clear.
Here it is in monochrome from the official European Union website.

​​​​​​https://commission.europa.eu/strateg...d-residence_en

The right to free movement

All EU citizens and their family members have the right to move and reside freely within the EU. This fundamental right is established by Article 21 of the Treaty on the functioning of the European Union and Article 45 of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights.

The conditions for the exercise of the right of free movement and residence within the territory of the Member States by EU citizens and their family members are set out in the Free Movement Directive 2004/38/EC:
  • EU citizens can live in another EU country for up to three months without any requirements other than holding a valid identity card or passport.
  • In order to stay in another EU country for more than three months, EU citizens have to meet certain conditions depending on their status (for example worker, self-employed, student, etc.) and may be asked to comply with administrative formalities.
Not my 2c this time but the law as set down by your EU overloads....
Old Jul 8th 2023, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NataHH
Yes Lou the whole thing is farcical. Bureaucracy at its finest. Because of possible tax liability I can understand the 183 day rule but to me it makes no sense whether you stay 5 months in one EU country or stay 3 months in Portugal, 3 months in Spain and/or 3 months in France I am really trying hard to understand the reason. What do longstay motorhome tourists do?
I'll tell you what the vast majority of EU nationals do when they spend six months of the year in another EU state in (for example) a motorhone - nothing, and good on them.

The EU commission are not trying to clamp down on freedom of movement for their citizens, far from it. They are shoring up the external Schengen borders and making it harder for third country nationals to overstay.

There is a lot of Bregret about and it's pretty horrific having to face up to what has been lost.

Old Jul 8th 2023, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not a vague rule but an iron clad one, see my post above.....
You as an Eu citizen allowed your countries representative to vote it into EU law.....

You (and others) could at least familiarise yourself with the FOM rules etc.
One day there may be questions to answer......
​​​​​​Why don't you write to the EU Commission to complain about it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.