Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

6th new airport for London planned.

6th new airport for London planned.

Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6th new airport for London planned.

Spot on Fred. Although you should have said "whats left of our industries"
I was one of the millions who suffered because of the "close it down it you can buy it cheaper from elsewhere" attitude of the government of the 80's.
They also had a policy of making money out of using other peoples money Look where that got us!
Pete
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
Spot on Fred. Although you should have said "whats left of our industries"
Pete

Not a lot, these so called expert Southern patriots are still trying to destroy what is left by giving £ BILLIONS ( 8.9 ) of contracts to other countries

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Ha...ail/story.html
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:58 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Not a lot, these so called expert Southern patriots are still trying to destroy what is left by giving £ BILLIONS ( 8.9 ) of contracts to other countries

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Ha...ail/story.html
To be fair, some of the comments on that story explain why the UK locomotive industry has tended to shoot itself in the foot, and so why they find it difficult now to win contracts. It's very sad - I come originally from that part of the country, and personally know people including at least one relative, who worked in that industry. This will mean (yet again) as in the case of the car industry, people losing their livelihoods and probably never getting decent regular work again in that region. But, much as I dislike the politicians in charge, I don't think this is their fault at all. They have to choose a supplier who have shown they can deliver on time and provide reliable products.

But at the same time, Companies like Bombardier need to get a grip, cut out these farcical delivery dates and building rolling stock with impossibly tight deadlines, and if anything, take a big and strong leaf out of companies like Electro Motive Division, Hitachi & Siemens book and design, build, and work their business like that!

Afterall, why do you think Electro Motive Division of La Grange, Illinois USA Has so many – 520 Odd Class 66 Freight Locos over in this country…Because they could build them to the price that the freight operators wanted, because they could build them to the way the opertors wanted, because they delivered them when wanted, and because of EMDs History – Take a look at the British Rail BRUSH Loughborough built Class 60 Verses the EMD Built Class 59 for what im talking about…The fact remains there, that despite the extreme reliability of the American built 59s, BR were told to buy British only…Now look at how many 59s are stored – 15 Built…0 stored…Whereas the Class 60s, British built, British engined – 100 Built, 7 In use…93 Stored with some set for scrapping…
Old Jun 18th 2011, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
It's very sad - I come originally from that part of the country, and personally know people including at least one relative, who worked in that industry.

Clayton Engineering Sinfin Derby

http://www.clayton-equipment.co.uk/index.php

In 1957 International Combustion (Holdings) Ltd acquired the whole of the shareholding in the Company, but Clayton continued to operate as an entirely self-contained and self-supporting unit.

In 1957, the company was awarded a £5M contract by British Railways for 88 mainline diesel electric locomotives. Then, a contract worth £1.75M for 10 x 2,500 hp diesel electric locomotives for Cuba was obtained whilst at the same time, the Company's sales, particularly of mining and tunnelling locomotives primarily for export, continued to increase.

Many types of locomotives and other equipment were made for export to various countries, e.g. Australia, New Zealand, Poland and Korea,

I saw them being built
Old Jun 18th 2011, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
To be fair, some of the comments on that story explain why the UK locomotive industry has tended to shoot itself in the foot,
As well as the government favouring foreign competitors, the companies themselves don't mind moving overseas when it suits them, they have little loyalty to the British workforce. The company concerned also has a presence in Germany, so is not adverse to shipping work there, and we have the likes of Twinings moving production of its tea from North Shields to Poland, along with many other UK companies. (Terry's Chocolate Orange!) I think the final kick in the teeth for the Twinnings workers is before getting the sack, they have to train up the Poles who will be working on their machines once moved to Poland.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 6:01 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
As well as the government favouring foreign competitors, the companies themselves don't mind moving overseas when it suits them, they have little loyalty to the British workforce. The company concerned also has a presence in Germany, so is not adverse to shipping work there, and we have the likes of Twinings moving production of its tea from North Shields to Poland, along with many other UK companies. (Terry's Chocolate Orange!) I think the final kick in the teeth for the Twinnings workers is before getting the sack, they have to train up the Poles who will be working on their machines once moved to Poland.
Wouldn't you be tempted to misinform just a little?
Old Jun 18th 2011, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the companies themselves don't mind moving overseas when it suits them,
If the companies don't move overseas the Government will sell them to overseas bidders.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately, as some British companies flee these shore, it's good to see BMW investing 500 million at Oxford for the new Mini, and Nissan's decision to design, develop and manufacture the Qashqai in Britain safeguarding 6000 jobs. And down south in London, Britain is still the investment choice in Europe.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:44 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I love it when people say that we have no industry in the UK.... or when they say its our politicians fault that we don't!
Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:18 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I was made redundant and my area manager came into my office and asked when we should sit down and discuss a handover. Very politely I pointed out that my job had been made redundant and therefore there was nothing to hand over. ! He just looked at me with shock and horror on his face.
When he asked me again a couple of days later I told him that if he asked again I would be discussing with the Tribunal and that I would be taking time off with stress. He shut up.

Regretably I had seen it happen before where the company had off-shored to Mumbai and expected the outgoing staff to train people who had been brought over for the handover. Even then they were surprised when 3 people left rather than take part, citing their "un-cooperative attitude"

Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:29 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Why does London need another airport ??
They should get the problems at the existing airports resolved !!

Stansted - gives landing slots to Ryanair and Easyjet that give you 5 aircraft landing at the same time - 2350. Immigration control is inundated and the staff are google eyed and keep muttering "we are here to protect the country's borders" not sure if that is for their benefit or ours !!
The chip & pin passport readers are switched off by 2300
Arriving after 1900 you need a lifter or car in carpark - the trains and coaches stop running anywhere sensible (i.e. other than London)

Is Southend going to be any better? Or just another UK based 3rd World facility
Possibly you will be able to get an Eddie Stobart lorry to most parts of the UK
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:25 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I was made redundant and my area manager came into my office and asked when we should sit down and discuss a handover. Very politely I pointed out that my job had been made redundant and therefore there was nothing to hand over. ! He just looked at me with shock and horror on his face.
When he asked me again a couple of days later I told him that if he asked again I would be discussing with the Tribunal and that I would be taking time off with stress. He shut up.

Regretably I had seen it happen before where the company had off-shored to Mumbai and expected the outgoing staff to train people who had been brought over for the handover. Even then they were surprised when 3 people left rather than take part, citing their "un-cooperative attitude"

You little hero you. I love it when someone has the balls to make a stand.

I love the way scum like that shit on you and then look outraged when you then refuse to kiss their arse in return.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:26 pm
bil
Banned

Why does London need another airport ??
They should get the problems at the existing airports resolved !!

Stansted - gives landing slots to Ryanair and Easyjet that give you 5 aircraft landing at the same time - 2350. Immigration control is inundated and the staff are google eyed and keep muttering "we are here to protect the country's borders" not sure if that is for their benefit or ours !!
The chip & pin passport readers are switched off by 2300
Arriving after 1900 you need a lifter or car in carpark - the trains and coaches stop running anywhere sensible (i.e. other than London)

Is Southend going to be any better? Or just another UK based 3rd World facility
Possibly you will be able to get an Eddie Stobart lorry to most parts of the UK
I just wish this didn't have the ring of truth to it.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant

I have come across this in the public sector too. I once worked in a department for a female manager who was acting Head whilst the post was temporarily vacant. She was brilliant, the best manager I ever had, and ran the department very effectively. When the post was advertised, the person appointed was another woman who was actually on maternity leave at the time she was given the job (you couldn't make it up) and the acting manager was not only asked to carry on until she came back, but to "mentor" the new appointee when she returned!!!! I would have told them where to stick it and insisted on going back to my own permanent post.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by bil
You little hero you. I love it when someone has the balls to make a stand.

I love the way scum like that shit on you and then look outraged when you then refuse to kiss their arse in return.
I learnt the hard way in the Royal Navy
Had problems with the tax man over his insistance that I should have paid tax on company car and company mobile (so a few years ago) but company didn't do paperwork correctly.

Got hit with big bill and eventually went to local tax office with a large brown envelope, small denomination notes and large collection of heavy coin.
A tax man cannot accept cash without the presence of an accountant, so they had to find one.
When it was all finished and I had the receipt in my hand I gave the woman another envelope as a thank you for all her efforts. The look on her face when she pulled out an old (clean and pressed) white shirt was a joy.
I got out quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.