Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

6th new airport for London planned.

6th new airport for London planned.

Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6th new airport for London planned.

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Johnny you are entitled to your opinion, even though it is misguided
Well he's right about the last point, I think I read that a huge percentage (can't remember the exact figure, 70-80%??) of the UK's wealth was produced within a 70 mile radius of London. But to live there? Not in a milion years!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:20 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Well he's right about the last point, I think I read that a huge percentage (can't remember the exact figure, 70-80%??) of the UK's wealth was produced within a 70 mile radius of London. But to live there? Not in a milion years!
.....and here's me thinking that that it was the massive national debt that was mainly created down there by the big city wankers and their idiotic pals in Parliament.

Obviously they are very happy to share that lot with their up country brethren as well.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
.....and here's me thinking that that it was the massive national debt that was mainly created down there by the big city wankers and their idiotic pals in Parliament.

Well the national debt could easily be cured. All central government subsidies to the regions should be stopped. That would have beneficial affect on the SE economy in one fell swoop.

Even better the SE should declare independence from the rest of the UK take its share of the debt and leave the rest with regions. The SE would soon pay that off.

There would be little unemployment in the SE as all the jobs farmed out to the regions would return to the SE.

As an example my Companyslocal tax compliance office that is based in East Kilbride would be based locally.
Scotland would be broke within a few years as would many of the other countries/regions.

I think Alex Salmond is doing a great job on behalf of the SE. Its just a shame his electorate will have more sense if it came to a referendum, knowing which side their bread is buttered.

Even better London could declare independence on its own.

Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:17 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Even better London could declare independence on its own.
It may as well.

Its seemed like a foreign country for longer than I care to remember.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
It may as well.

Its seemed like a foreign country for longer than I care to remember.
As a Londoner I agree, but unlike you do not see that as a bad thing.

One mans meat...
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Anything south of the River Trent is French
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anything south of the River Trent is French
Where's the Trent?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Where's the Trent?
I did put River Trent to give you a clue
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I did put River Trent to give you a clue
Of course I know where the Trent is as any beer drinker would. It was in response to your reply about the south being France. ie Why venture north.
Ps even that comes second to the Thames
Off for some Liffey water now.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:04 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Oih, Some off us hail from round there.
My point precisely.

Ooooooo matron!

Only kidding.

Mind you, what little I saw of the place was in the neo brutalist style of architecture aka 'Council Carpark' style.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:26 pm
On the road again.

Of course I know where the Trent is as any beer drinker would. It was in response to your reply about the south being France. ie Why venture north.
Ps even that comes second to the Thames
Off for some Liffey water now.
Not fancy the Thames water then,..after it's been passed (or should that be p!ssed), through the sewers Lord knows how many times ?
Don't blame you really, it's disgusting stuff.

Matter of fact Liffey water is little better, so it's just fortunate that water for the black stuff comes from the Wicklow mountains.

Up here it's even better still and fresh from the heavens above.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Well we seem to have highlighted the north south divide nicely. Its no different up here in Scotland. We have the Scots who just cannot wait to get away from the place ( Sean Connery to name but one) and they then spend the rest of their lives talking ( and singing) about how much they love the place and want to get back there but never do.
Seen on crash barrier of M5 ( during the enevitable traffic jam) many years ago: " The Jocks are like piles, they come down but never go back up again"
Pete
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
We have the Scots who just cannot wait to get away from the place ( Sean Connery to name but one) and they then spend the rest of their lives talking ( and singing) about how much they love the place and want to get back there but never do.
Ain't that the truth! It's strange that nobody ever has a bad word to say about the place after they have emigrated. I remember reading that Annie Leenox left there for London when she was 17, never lived there since, but was then protesting about something in Edinburgh (The tram, maybe), as if she cared. Sean Connery is a classic case, as you said, always backing the SNP etc, he hasn't lived there for years, nor likely to.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:38 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Ain't that the truth! It's strange that nobody ever has a bad word to say about the place after they have emigrated. I remember reading that Annie Leenox left there for London when she was 17, never lived there since, but was then protesting about something in Edinburgh (The tram, maybe), as if she cared. Sean Connery is a classic case, as you said, always backing the SNP etc, he hasn't lived there for years, nor likely to.
Billy Connoly did a great routine once about that. He described the ancestors of the Scots living in England, when someone came along saying 'Hey! We have found somewhere that's even wetter and colder than England!'
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What you have to remember is that it was industry that put the GREAT into Great Britain. The same is still happening worldwide, the countries that have the strongest economies are generally the one with a thriving industrial base.

Most of the UK's industry was based close to or North of the Trent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.