5G internet

Old Apr 17th 2022, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute
Default 5G internet

Anyone know how the rollout is going?

our Movistar shop says we will be automatically moved onto it at no extra charge from our 4G router. I am sceptical and at the very least I think you must need a new 5G capable router and a new SIM. Does anyone on here know ? The permission to do the work on the village hall mast was posted last year.
Old Apr 17th 2022, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5G internet

5G is cellular service like your smartphone uses. And 5 GHz refers to the wireless spectrum your Wi-Fi router can use. You can't take your existing Wi-Fi router and connect it to 5G cellular service. And you can't take this device and connect it to your existing home Internet provider to give your house Wi-Fi

Unless you have a radio router with a SIM card then maybe that will need changing.

All these high speed services are fine - 600GB fibre optic etc but old laptops cannot work at faster speeds anyway unless they are upgradable.
Old Apr 17th 2022, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention who needs it, what do you think you'll be able to do on 5g that you can't on 4g?
Old Apr 17th 2022, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

I did say I was sceptical about “ just being transfered onto the new service”. I did say we are on a 4g router. ( just for your info, this is how movistar provide fusion to rural customers in the campo without fibre or copper) lesson over. Oh and we have a 4g router as per my original post.

why do I need 5g rather than 4g. Simple. The service is rubbish. We have the same contention as any other user so when tge schools throw out or work finishes and everyone starts sending videos or “ where are you? “ messages the service slows. We then cannot stream tv without buffering and certainly cannot stream and have video Skype calls.

back to original question. Anyone know how the rollout is going for 5G please?

Old Apr 17th 2022, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

As long as all of your equipment (phones, mobiles, router, tv, etc.) can handle the new frequency then you will experience none of your complaints from above....
Onwards and upwards as they( some old folk) say.

An example, be it a sad example. My father told me that his mobile service informed him that his mobile will no longer work after at a specific date in time - they are stopping 2G service...

If everything you have is 5G compatible then you will only see the differences in your gripes above about 4G.
Old Apr 17th 2022, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Not to mention who needs it, what do you think you'll be able to do on 5g that you can't on 4g?
Do some reading about 5G and even 6G and come back and say you are sorry... Gracias..

Though it might need a education above high school to understand it...

Sorry rosemary.
Old Apr 17th 2022, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cheeky beggar. This thread reminds me of the forum question. How many people does it take to change a light bulb?

anyway, apart from these guys, does anyone have any info on the rollout please?
Old Apr 18th 2022, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Check here for the rollout, although your local shop will probably have better info of when you will get it. Yes they will need to supply a new router and SIM. Unless you’re really close it’s unlikely you’ll benefit though as 5G only has a range of about 300 meters. On the plus side, those closer to the antenna will be utilizing the 5G network instead of the 4G network so you should benefit from that.
https://www.nperf.com/en/map/ES/-/-./signal/
Old Apr 18th 2022, 1:35 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
Check here for the rollout, although your local shop will probably have better info of when you will get it. Yes they will need to supply a new router and SIM. Unless you’re really close it’s unlikely you’ll benefit though as 5G only has a range of about 300 meters. On the plus side, those closer to the antenna will be utilizing the 5G network instead of the 4G network so you should benefit from that.
https://www.nperf.com/en/map/ES/-/-./signal/
Do you know where they get that data? I just checked my property and it states I can get 5G movistar - I wish!
Old Apr 18th 2022, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by growinspain
Do some reading about 5G and even 6G and come back and say you are sorry... Gracias..

Though it might need a education above high school to understand it...

Sorry rosemary.
I stand by my question, and BTW I'm a retired electronics and communications engineer having spent 50+ years in the field!
Old Apr 18th 2022, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Search the make and model of your router and see if its 5G compatible, if it is it should switch to 5G automatically. 4G will continue to be transmitted because the majority of people own equipment that can't take 5G. Don't worry about 6G its pretty much still in development so won't hit a street near you anytime soon.

To be honest if your down speed is over about 15 you'll have no problem streaming so long as the speed is consistent. In the UK I've gone from 65 down to over 900 and to be honest have seen no real difference unless I'm downloading a big big file.