Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

5 days to go! + advice please on rental studios and apartments

5 days to go! + advice please on rental studios and apartments

Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:31 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute
Default 5 days to go! + advice please on rental studios and apartments

Hi there everybody. Well I cant believe its Wednesday already and come Monday, Ill be jetting off to Málaga by myself to start a new life in Spain.

Ive found a couple of studios on spmrentals.net and have been conversing via email with them about them. It looks like they are setting up a viewing of them for very shortly after I arrive.

Im sorry if this has been discussed in great detail in the past. But id be interested if anyones had any dealings with these before and how they found the whole experience.

Being a total newbie to the area, and being on my own I just got a feeling these guys are going to go in for the kill. So i really need to be prepared for exactly what I should be paying, what i shouldnt be paying and what to expect, how to find the people who are showing me round.

ive got 2 apartments to look at and a further one to look at which was referred from another agent.

I know a lot of its common sense dont make a decision there and then etc. But it would be good to know any hints and tips and what to expect. Im only looknig at 3 months rent of a cheap 400€ studio so im not exactly going to be seen as a priveldged customer.

So please help!

Thank you.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 days to go! + advice please on rental studios and apartments

Well the best of luck to you matey!

Some good luck Karma to you along with a web site address ... if theres nothing on there email her
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:36 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well the best of luck to you matey!

Some good luck Karma to you along with a web site address ... if theres nothing on there email her

Thanks Mitzyboy really appreciate it. What website address are you giving me? i dont see it.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Thanks Mitzyboy really appreciate it. What website address are you giving me? i dont see it.
I pm'd it
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:45 pm
In Estepona

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I pm'd it

Thanks got it. ive sent them an email for the attention of karen.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:57 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Did they mention the charges to you ?
You should only pay 1 Months rent and 1Month deposit in case of breakages.
Some try to say they need more but the law says 1 month only.
Some agents try to charge 1 months rent finders fee, tell them you will use the other agent then, cos they dont charge it. ;-)
If they give you a check list of the apartment go through it with them and make sure everything is as they say, and expect not to get your full deposit back as they always take out at least the apartment cleaning money and some try it on for more.
I will pm you a phone number also.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:28 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

onlineamiga, just remember not to get carried away with the rush of the moment it is going to be exciting for you so resist the urge to jump at what is not really suitable for you. If you feel things beginning to overtake you just stop and say to yourself TIME OUT and then say to the agent "OK, can I get back to you," don't listen if he's telling you that papers have to be signed there and then because you will loose it. Best of luck
Old Apr 18th 2007, 4:02 pm
Eve
BE Enthusiast

Eve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud of

Good for you, I am so pleased you are almost there. I hope all goes ok, as others have said, don't let the excitement take over, keep your head and you should hang on to your money a bit longer! There are lots of rentals available, so don't be bullied into making a decision.
Good luck and lets us all hear your adventures. I have just returned from CDS after a 2 week break, it is always like going home and then when i come back I spend a few days moping about and sulking!! stoopid but thats how it gets me. One day I shall be there, I just have to be thankful that we have a lovely house and feel part of the village and that I get out there so often. Anyway good luck and fingers crossed for you.Take care Eve
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:00 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey the very best of luck,like everyone is advising dont let the sun,sand and the sangria go to your head,the agents will be falling over backwards,there is a lot of rentals out there,dont show them your enthusiasm,and dont fall for the first property you see,take your time,there is a lot of good advice on BE,take good care and dont forget to keep us updated,lots and lots of luck.

Best Wishes,have a safe journey.........you will be fine
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

sarahandjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Not long now.................... Keep us all posted. Wishing you lots of luck and I really hope you find what you are looking for. Stay safe, hopefully some more of us will be in your position soon.

Take care.

Sarah