Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is 4.6kw enough to cover a new 2 bed apartment in Isla Canela?

Is 4.6kw enough to cover a new 2 bed apartment in Isla Canela?

Old Nov 28th 2023, 10:37 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is 4.6kw enough to cover a new 2 bed apartment in Isla Canela?

Usually the “rogue” electrician just bypassed the ICP. Yes, they cannot do that anymore. The good news is that you can upgrade/downgrade on the phone or by email and it is done very quickly.
Old Nov 28th 2023, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobRTID
We have just bought a 2 bedroom apartment in the Los Camaleones development and need to contract for energy. They have given us 2 options 4.6kw & 5.75kw, so I need to know if this is sufficient. We are there approx 5-10 days per month, (longer in the summer) mostly 2 people but our 3 kids sometimes join us We have aircon connected and it's a new build, so any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated? TY!
I would go for the 5.75Kw, it's easier to drop potencia than to increase it later.
We have a 3 bed with 2 A/C units, water heater, dishwasher, washing machine, oven, airfrier, etc. We have cheap electricity at certain times of the day, so our power use is unusually high during these off peak periods. We have 5.75Kw and haven't tripped the power yet.
Old Nov 28th 2023, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VFR
It was standard practice in older property’s to get the electrician to put a much higher fuse in the supply so you could use a good deal more than the contracted supply.

thankyou for the advice, but our house has a smart meter. its capped at 2.2kw, we just know how to use power.

I used to work with an electrician, so yes, i could do any "bypass" or "self upgrade" myself, but as it has a smart meter, i dont touch it. I have the tools and fuses in my kit, but that is not something i would ever mess with.

Thankyou for the confidence that you all have in me, being that I have been a member here for at least 20 years, and any electrical advice i will always give a warning or say that "this forum does not condone any illegal activity" etc.

Im actually sad that anyone would think that of me.

Last edited by bfg69bug; Nov 28th 2023 at 5:29 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2023, 11:26 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

What's the price difference between 4.6kw & 5.75kw?
Old Nov 29th 2023, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
What's the price difference between 4.6kw & 5.75kw?
You'd need to check what your particular supplier charges for the tariff you are on - although there is not likely to be a huge difference. My supplier, Iberdrola, charges €37.49 per kw per year for the daytime period and €8.80 per kw per year for the night time period. So less than €50 a year difference between those two levels of potencia.
Old Nov 29th 2023, 1:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn’t work quite like that. The standing charge is based on your Potencia irrespective of usage. If you only ever used electricity in the off peak period you would still be charged at the higher peak rate charge during peak hours.

I don’t know why they introduced this but it only serves to confuse the customer. It’s the same whether you are a 24/7 contract or a “time of day” contract. It tends to suggest that you pay less standing charge if your usage is off- peak which is not true.

Last edited by Fred James; Nov 29th 2023 at 1:24 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2023, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It doesn’t work quite like that. The standing charge is based on your Potencia irrespective of usage. If you only ever used electricity in the off peak period you would still be charged at the higher peak rate charge during peak hours.

I don’t know why they introduced this but it only serves to confuse the customer. It’s the same whether you are a 24/7 contract or a “time of day” contract. It tends to suggest that you pay less standing charge if your usage is off- peak which is not true.
I don't believe I said otherwise, I know that it is a standard charge, the higher one for the hours between 8.00 am and midnight, and the lower one for the hours between midnight and 8.00 am.
Old Nov 29th 2023, 9:33 pm

Lynn I wasn’t suggesting that you were. I was pointing out the confusion caused by this idiotic change from the old system. It does nothing to reduce usage.
Old Nov 29th 2023, 11:46 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Go for higher potencia. It is expensive to upgrade.
Old Nov 30th 2023, 9:14 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
You'd need to check what your particular supplier charges for the tariff you are on - although there is not likely to be a huge difference. My supplier, Iberdrola, charges €37.49 per kw per year for the daytime period and €8.80 per kw per year for the night time period. So less than €50 a year difference between those two levels of potencia.
I agree, under €50 spread across the entire year isn't bad at all.

We have 3,450 kW at our place (family of 4) and it's not a problem, but we also don't use aircon. Of course in the kitchen you learn not to have the cooker, airfryer, microwave and kettle on at the SAME time, but apart from that everything is fine.