Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

35% failure rate in state schools

35% failure rate in state schools

Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:05 pm
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough
Default 35% failure rate in state schools

35% of all the students going to state schools in the Valencian Community (Provinces of Castellon, Valencia and Alicante) fail to ever graduate.

Font de Mora, "El Consellar de Educación" (the minister of education of the regional government) blamed the poor standard on the cancellation of the Ebro plan. The question is how has diverting a river in the north of Spain to feed golf courses in the Valencian Community got anything to do with poor state education?

Source in Spanish, or through Google Translate.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 35% failure rate in state schools

What do you mean by "fail to graduate"?

Fail their exams at school? Fail to get into university?

If the latter, then a 35% failure rate is pretty good going.

The Uk seems hell bent on getting every child a university degree. To what end? All it does is make it more difficult to select the brighter students.

The old 70% failure system in the uk made far more sense to me.

At least people know where they stand.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
What do you mean by "fail to graduate"?

Fail their exams at school? Fail to get into university?

If the latter, then a 35% failure rate is pretty good going.

The Uk seems hell bent on getting every child a university degree. To what end? All it does is make it more difficult to select the brighter students.

The old 70% failure system in the uk made far more sense to me.

At least people know where they stand.
"I am upper class and look down on him and him............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....... I know my place"
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:53 pm
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by billgates
a 35% failure rate is pretty good going.
You might think 35% failure is "pretty good going" but there are probably parents who will read this and take action to protect their children from this failing system. 5 years ago 25% were failing. This year 35%. Where will we be in 5 more years? 45%?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:50 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I used to know teachers in the UK that made a living teaching school LEAVERS basic literacy and numeracy.

Scary.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:22 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they are eating enough vegetables
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:15 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Are we talking about Spanish children or all nationalities?

The problem with foreign children is pretty obvious. Areas with a large expat population have extra problems. When a child is learning to read in their home country, they can rely on parents to read with them and help out with homework. Most young British children cannot count on the family to help as they do not speak Spanish. Their parents never think of putting Spanish programmes on the TV, or buy Spanish newspapers or books. I have heard some parents saying that their child is fluent, but the standard is very basic. Of course to parents that cannot understand a word it sounds good. In the classroom the teacher has to cope with lots of different languages, not only English and Spanish. Spanish pupils in these schools also suffer as teaching becomes slower due to the language difficulties. The same scenario is happening in UK schools where there are large number of immigrants. In areas where there are no or hardly any expats, the problem is apathy, no jobs, why should we bother attitude. It is a sad state of affairs but children have not been taught to obey anyone, teachers have problems with class control and this seems to be a worldwide problem, not just Spain.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by me me
Are we talking about Spanish children or all nationalities?
We are talking the totality of the students, i.e. every single student that attends state school in the Valencian Community. Obviously children that speak little or no Spanish would have a much higher failure rate.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:11 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

The huge problem with schools IMO is that there needs to be a sensible, pragmatic attitude. In the old days it was the teacher was god, now they have no power at all.

As with so many things, there has to be balance.

Primary school children should be taught the basics of grammar and punctuation, the times table and some basics in two languages other than their own.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:47 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

My son is just about to move up from primary to secondary school and we have to choose the school for him. We are really strugling on this one.

Do we go private and have him have to make a new set of friends again (only some will go to this school) or do we put him into the 'default' state school with most of his friends?

We don't seem to be able to get any information on school results - like the league tables we had back in UK.

Does anyone know where I can get this sort of info? It's all very well looking around at the facilities and also checking how well behaved the children are but I think that results are also important.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 11:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Do we go private and have him have to make a new set of friends again (only some will go to this school) or do we put him into the 'default' state school with most of his friends?
What's more important to you, his friends, or that he is properly educated?

Originally Posted by snikpoh
We don't seem to be able to get any information on school results - like the league tables we had back in UK.
Ask to see the school result for the previous year "la memoria anual". You have a legal right as a parent to have access to this document.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 12:43 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bokeh
We are talking the totality of the students, i.e. every single student that attends state school in the Valencian Community. Obviously children that speak little or no Spanish would have a much higher failure rate.
Quite honestly I dont know if these results are good or bad in comparison to other EU countries, or what failure means.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 12:53 pm
Banned

Failure to reach National Curriculum. Failure to graduate at the end of schooling. And this is just basic studies.
Old May 1st 2008, 4:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bokeh
Failure to reach National Curriculum. Failure to graduate at the end of schooling. And this is just basic studies.
Just like good old blighty then.
Old May 1st 2008, 5:00 pm
bil
Banned

What do you expect with the classes packed to bursting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.