3 Month Registration - Staff not being so helpful

Old Oct 16th 2013, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

irashpir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 Month Registration - Staff not being so helpful

Hello there
Just continuing on the topic:
Since I am not working at the moment, I am planning to move from Ireland to Alicante for 6 month to do house sitting for a friend who has a villa there.
I am hoping to find a school for my 4 y.o son, so he can learn the lingo
Having read the thread I am completely confused what permits/certs I will need to proceed with an application for school enrollment
I will have no income in Spain, but have enough savings to cover necessary expenses
Please advise where to start with the documents and registrations
Txs
Old Oct 16th 2013, 9:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:03 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

To stay in Spain for five months as an EU citizen you need nothing at all apart from your passport. You get the usual hand-wringing from the legal eagles about 90 days, different coloured forms, there was even mention of the padron (you couldn't sign on that if you tried, and it would really wind up the funcionarios); the truth is that the Spanish authorities have got quite enough to do without foreigners on holiday clogging up their offices with daft requests for forms they don't need.

It's best to stay away from any offices flying the Spanish flag.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:08 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
To stay in Spain for five months as an EU citizen you need nothing at all apart from your passport. You get the usual hand-wringing from the legal eagles about 90 days, different coloured forms, there was even mention of the padron (you couldn't sign on that if you tried, and it would really wind up the funcionarios); the truth is that the Spanish authorities have got quite enough to do without foreigners on holiday clogging up their offices with daft requests for forms they don't need.

It's best to stay away from any offices flying the Spanish flag.

Which, of course, will in no way help them to get their children into school which is what was asked!!!

At the very least they will need NIE's for everyone, they will need to be signed on with a doctor and will probably need to be on the padron to be allocated a school.

For such a short time and with no income and no rental agreement, this will be VERY hard.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:50 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Which, of course, will in no way help them to get their children into school which is what was asked!!!

At the very least they will need NIE's for everyone, they will need to be signed on with a doctor and will probably need to be on the padron to be allocated a school.

For such a short time and with no income and no rental agreement, this will be VERY hard.
I'm sorry but the original OP made no mention of schools or bringing children to Spain, which would of course have warranted an entirely different reply.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:01 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I'm sorry but the original OP made no mention of schools or bringing children to Spain, which would of course have warranted an entirely different reply.
My mistake (sorry) I thought you were responding to post #16
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

My mistake (sorry) I thought you were responding to post #16
Of course, that's why there is the 'quote' facility, stops people getting all cofused and replying to an assumed answer.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 8:56 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Try going in to your local council office speaking Spanish
Old Oct 17th 2013, 9:00 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irashpir
Please advise where to start ....Txs
You could start by reading FAQ and the Free Beer thread.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:50 am
Just Joined

irashpir is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, here we are:
- the doctor should be my least concern, as we have international health insurance (private). Hope this will be enough for the authorities
- now padron and NIE.... looks like one needs a rental agreement. Will a house sitting contract suffice if we draft one for that purpose?
And a utility bill... This seems more difficult... Can I get a mobile phone contract, so I'll get a bill, or NIE is also needed for that?
In Ireland I often bring my current bank account statement as a proof of address and it's happily accepted by some offices. Would it be the case in Spain, if I open a non-residential account with the address of the hose I will be looking after?
I know, you are not the ones who issues the certs and permits, so nothing is guaranteed, but just to tease out some options...
Txs
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irashpir
ok, here we are:
- the doctor should be my least concern, as we have international health insurance (private). Hope this will be enough for the authorities
- now padron and NIE.... looks like one needs a rental agreement. Will a house sitting contract suffice if we draft one for that purpose?
And a utility bill... This seems more difficult... Can I get a mobile phone contract, so I'll get a bill, or NIE is also needed for that?
In Ireland I often bring my current bank account statement as a proof of address and it's happily accepted by some offices. Would it be the case in Spain, if I open a non-residential account with the address of the hose I will be looking after?
I know, you are not the ones who issues the certs and permits, so nothing is guaranteed, but just to tease out some options...
Txs
I'm sorry I can't give any assurances about what documents will be accepted as proof of address, but just wanted to point out that you will certainly need an NIE to take out a mobile phone contract, or even buy a PAYG mobile, as they have to be officially registered in the name of the buyer due to anti-terrorism laws introduced following the Madrid bombings a few years ago.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:11 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I'm sorry I can't give any assurances about what documents will be accepted as proof of address, but just wanted to point out that you will certainly need an NIE to take out a mobile phone contract, or even buy a PAYG mobile, as they have to be officially registered in the name of the buyer due to anti-terrorism laws introduced following the Madrid bombings a few years ago.
you can still get a PAYG sim with your passport in fact - here anyway

a Latvian student staying with me earlier this year bought one in the Phone House, with her passport as ID
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

JB80 is an unknown quantity at this point

We got proper phone contracts with just our passport, no NIE needed however not all companies will accept that. Vodafone wont for instance but others do.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB80
We got proper phone contracts with just our passport, no NIE needed however not all companies will accept that. Vodafone wont for instance but others do.
We got ours from Vodafone, hence my understanding. Sorry for any confusion.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

JB80 is an unknown quantity at this point

No it's alright, I'm permanently confused these days and to be honest that's the info we had heard too.

We went to the phone house to get our phones and contract and the guy said that you don't need an NIE for a contract in Spain if you have your passport.
Of course like everything here it's a mess, and companies have their systems set up to only take NIEs but according to the guy in the shop you don't need it. No idea if he is right or wrong but we have phones and contracts so don't really care.

I suspect it helps to have a valid resident bank account though, without that you might have more trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.