Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

3% held back when selling apartment

3% held back when selling apartment

Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of
Default 3% held back when selling apartment

hi all,my 86 year old dad sold his apartment in feb(off plans 3 years late),and 3% roughly 7500 euros was kept back in a tax,but he was told after 6 moths he could claim it back,is this true,anyone have any xp of this?
Old Aug 31st 2008, 12:56 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default Re: 3% held back when selling apartment

Originally Posted by sensationalfrog
hi all,my 86 year old dad sold his apartment in feb(off plans 3 years late),and 3% roughly 7500 euros was kept back in a tax,but he was told after 6 moths he could claim it back,is this true,anyone have any xp of this?

Yes the old tax vermin keep it until the persons affairs normally a non resident
are checked in order to see if any outstanding tax is owing the Spanish government. If all is well bingo its returned. There are a number of tax forms to fill in as I remember the guy I bought my house from was a non resident but FRED will be along soon and give you the correct version of events.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:56 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The 3% is a deduction to cover any capital gains tax on the sale. They deduct it in case you just do a runner.

If you can show that the tax you owe (18% of the gain) is less than the 3% you can get the difference back. If not, they keep the money.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 7:43 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
The 3% is a deduction to cover any capital gains tax on the sale. They deduct it in case you just do a runner.

If you can show that the tax you owe (18% of the gain) is less than the 3% you can get the difference back. If not, they keep the money.
This is only true for non-residents. I believe residents have nothing withheld.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

They not only keep the money but if the 3% retention does not cover the 18% capital gains tax you have to pay the difference.

This does not apply to residents who are able to obtain a certificate of fiscal domicile from the tax office. This is different from the certificate of registration on the foreigner's register and is much more difficult to obtain.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:21 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

I thought once over 65 you dont pay any tax.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:51 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gallerie9
Me to!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

This only applies if you are a resident.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

thanks guys/gals,i shall see if i can get it back for him now that august is out of the way
Old Sep 1st 2008, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

You will need the receipted copy of the form 211 from the purchaser and a form 212 to make the claim for refund.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 12:29 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice

Has anyone done this?
The reason I ask is that I suspect that I am entitled to a refund, but due to a very poor solicitor(theif); I do not have the proper paperwork and they will not supply it. I would sue them, but would probably be throwing good moneyafter bad.
Is their anyway of telling if the Solicitor paid the tax to the gov.?
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

It is the responsibility of the seller or his representative to pay the retention to the tax office and to supply you or your representative with the receipt to enable you to complete your Capital Gains Tax declaration and pay the balance or claim a refund as appropriate.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:19 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gallerie9
iwas wounding whos taxes i was payying
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:37 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Beach, shouldn't that read responsibility of the buyer?
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes it should. Thanks for pointing that out Hillybilly.

:embaressed_smile:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.