23rd June ?

Old Feb 22nd 2016, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute
Default 23rd June ?

I wonder what the effect will be if "we" (the electorate) vote us out of the EU and therefore are no longer automatically eligible to live here.Food for thought !
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 23rd June ?

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
I wonder what the effect will be if "we" (the electorate) vote us out of the EU and therefore are no longer automatically eligible to live here.Food for thought !
According to the person interviewed on BBC, today, those already resident in Spain won't be affected, ( how does he know that?)but for those moving there after the vote there will be changes, though he didn't know what!
The whole area is grey and uncertain.
Anyway, any changes would take at least two years to come into force
The changes most feared are eligibility to free NHS care and freezing of the state pension
Glad I returned to the UK when I did!
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 2:50 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
All depends on..
1 The Vote

2 Whetheer the UK joins EFTA, which would mean a guarantee of freedom of movement, but leave the UK to decide just what benefits they pay them and whether they will receive automatic increases, so new treaties needed.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt the person who made the comment on the BBC would actually know the full answer. I would guess the government have not thought that far ahead, Cameron thinks we will stay but who knows? I would imagine that yes if already resident no doubt as far as residency goes then there will be no change. However whether the same would apply to health care and protected state pension? If that were the case then that leaves those of us that own property in Spain but not yet resident up the creek without a paddle. I would think there would be some challenges should that be the case but who knows. Certainly when they stopped WFA they didn't leave those with it still getting it. I think we will just have to see how it plays out, little point speculating on an unknown.
It may be a good time to find out how you can excercise your right to vote which you retain as a British Citizen expat for 15 years!

Last edited by bobd22; Feb 22nd 2016 at 5:15 pm. Reason: Addittion
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Another consideration should we leave the EU is the estimated 20% fall of the GBP against the Euro. Some commentators suggest that the GBP will fall back in small increments in the lead up to the vote but may suffer a loss of as much as 15% within days of the vote should the electorate decide to leave the EU.
Also, those looking to buy properties in Spain will find prices rise by 15% but those looking for rental income from existing owned property will see their income fall as rates become unaffordable to UK visitors.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 5:30 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find that much of the speculation about the potential fall in value of the GBP relates to its value against the USD rather than against the Euro. If the UK leaves, that will have an effect on the value of the Euro against the USD and the effect may balance out.

For example, today the GBP/USD rate fell by 1.79% - the biggest daily fall for a long time. At the same time the Euro/USD rate fell by 1.05%. The GBP/Euro rate fell by only 0.69% - less than 1 centimo.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

If history repeats then if there is a Brexit vote - and particularly if it is close - there will be another round of negotiations, more meaningful concessions from the EU and then another referendum. The EU has form on not accepting the first results and sending it back eg Lisbon, Maastricht etc. ISTR that Ireland voted three times before they got the right answer.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Cameron has ruled out a second vote today? Of course we will have to wait and see. I bet if it looks certain we will go the EU will come up with something, we may be a pain in there backside but no way do they want us to go.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
If history repeats then if there is a Brexit vote - and particularly if it is close - there will be another round of negotiations, more meaningful concessions from the EU and then another referendum. The EU has form on not accepting the first results and sending it back eg Lisbon, Maastricht etc. ISTR that Ireland voted three times before they got the right answer.
Maybe, but I doubt Cameron will be at the helm unless there is a resounding 'Stay' vote. Presuming Boris succeeds him as leader I would imagine that his demands for reform would be too much for the EU leaders.
Once the EU concede too much to the UK it will precipitate the break up of the EU with member states all wanting something changed to their benefit - all of which would leave the EU as unworkable. I can't remember who, but a prominent political academic predicted this very scenario some 10 years ago and his model suggested a return to pretty much how it all started - a Common Market with all legislative responsibility devolved back to member nations. No bad thing in my view.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 6:08 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Its the people who rule the roost who will decide what result they want & then implement it.
IMO they will decide to stay & their MSM will soon be on board to pump out that message.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 7:00 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Good point.
Democracy EU style.
As Junkers said at the time, we will keep going back until we get the result WE WANT then that will be the end of it.

More hypocrisy from Cameron I see.
His two main points according to TV news tonight were.

1, We'd be better off in a reformed EU.

Scuse me Mr Cameron, but we're still all waiting to hear about this "reformed" EU . You went to Brussels with a strong hand and came back with virtually nowt, not a single one of your original proposals and as for a reformed EU, Lord above give me strength.

2, There will not be another referendum

Scuse me Mr Cameron, but has the UK constitution been changed preventing whatever Govt of the day from calling another referendum if they so please ?
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Good point.
Democracy EU style.
As Junkers said at the time, we will keep going back until we get the result WE WANT then that will be the end of it.

More hypocrisy from Cameron I see.

2, There will not be another referendum

Scuse me Mr Cameron, but has the UK constitution been changed preventing whatever Govt of the day from calling another referendum if they so please ?
I take that not as no future referendum ever but that should it be a no vote no second or 3rd referendum imposed by the EU until we stay? In fairness Cameron said he would give the UK a referendum and he is doing that unlike new Labour who mooted one then backtracked.

Last edited by bobd22; Feb 22nd 2016 at 8:56 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 9:18 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I take that not as no future referendum ever but that should it be a no vote no second or 3rd referendum imposed by the EU until we stay? In fairness Cameron said he would give the UK a referendum and he is doing that unlike new Labour who mooted one then backtracked.
Surely it's up to the govt of the day to decide if there will be a referendum, though no doubt the EU will push for a rerun if it goes against them .

As I understand it a country can request to join or decide to leave at any time they wish, though obviously it won't happen overnight.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 9:22 pm
On the road again.

Mr Cameron's Treaty Fraud.
and other frauds.

EU Referendum

The plain fact is that Cameron does NOT have a treaty change and very little, if any, of what he claims to be firm agreements are legally binding.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 9:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Mr Cameron's Treaty Fraud.
and other frauds.

EU Referendum

The plain fact is that Cameron does NOT have a treaty change and very little, if any, of what he claims to be firm agreements are legally binding.
and, of course, you are a have a law degree in EU law to know this, or is this more spin, this time by the antis, I really thought conspiracy theories were the domain of the USA..
I have made my mind up as to how I will vote, and no argument, quotes from dubious groups on either side each with their own agendas will change it. and with that I leave this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.