Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The 2020 changes to the electricity bills in Spain.

The 2020 changes to the electricity bills in Spain.

Old Jan 1st 2020, 2:17 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation The 2020 changes to the electricity bills in Spain.

Surprised this has not been posted on here.
Changes from the 1st Jan. 2020 (in Spanish)
Old Jan 1st 2020, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2020 changes to the electricity bills in Spain.

Thank you for the post.
I think I get the gist of it, they are going to rob us!
I note there is no mention of any change to the standing charges, as yet.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 6:43 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

The information is only about the periods and when it is cheaper to use electricity. If you change your habits it is said you will save money.
This one is more in depth (in Spanish)
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

iant will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jonboy
Thank you for the post.
I think I get the gist of it, they are going to rob us!
I note there is no mention of any change to the standing charges, as yet.
On the question of the standing charge, has anyone discovered a way of reducing the cost of same when the property is only used for a limited period each year?
iant
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iant
On the question of the standing charge, has anyone discovered a way of reducing the cost of same when the property is only used for a limited period each year?
iant
Not that I am aware of, I'm with endesa and even living here my standing charge is largest part of my monthly bill. I'm not sure if there are tarrifs with lower standing charge fees? We started off just as holiday home and just had to accept that even using nothing we had to pay quite a bit per month.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

iant
Nope. I asked Iberdrola about this and was told the only way would be to cut the power and then pay for reconnection.
Our standing charge is about €25 a month. We spent 10 days at the flat in October and it came to €42 for the month.

Ive checked our account and there is nothing on any of the pages on Iberdrola's website about the rate changes. Once we move over I will be sticking a timer on the water heater and setting up the free periods.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 9:45 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

iant
There is no sensible way of doing this without disconnection.

Standing charges are the way they do it in Spain. If you have a holiday home in Spain, tough luck. If you can afford a second home just pay the price or sell it. No one who lives here has any sympathy for you.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
Standing charges are the way they do it in Spain. If you have a holiday home in Spain, tough luck. If you can afford a second home just pay the price or sell it. No one who lives here has any sympathy for you.
Is it costly to disconnect then reconnect? Or a major hassle to do?
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

The sympathy of others was not requested.
Old Jan 4th 2020, 4:43 am

Fellow members. I feel we are going off kilter with the follow up questions.
The information was NOTHING to do with standing charges. They are a fact of life. The information was posted so that you can understand your next bill. If you do not use the cheapest hours you could be seeing an increase in your bill.
Old Jan 4th 2020, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Fellow members. I feel we are going off kilter with the follow up questions.
The information was NOTHING to do with standing charges. They are a fact of life. The information was posted so that you can understand your next bill. If you do not use the cheapest hours you could be seeing an increase in your bill.
I read a Google translation of the article; down the page it says something about if you are already on some existing plan with different prices at various times the new changes will not affect you.
Old Jan 4th 2020, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by m2m2012
I read a Google translation of the article; down the page it says something about if you are already on some existing plan with different prices at various times the new changes will not affect you.
Do you mean contratado el PVPC? Then you are correct.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

catsndogs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Happy New Year to all.
Does this apply to electricity companies in Spain. We are with Endesa and on the free electricity scheme and have 2 free hours every day from 6 pm to 8 pm.Will this stay the same does anyone know. Thanks.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 12:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I am pretty sure all the existing saving plans will stay the same. Most people are on one plan or another, particularly the original Peak/Offpeak DHA plan which can save a lot of money, especially if you plan your usage carefully.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by catsndogs
Hi Happy New Year to all.
Does this apply to electricity companies in Spain. We are with Endesa and on the free electricity scheme and have 2 free hours every day from 6 pm to 8 pm.Will this stay the same does anyone know. Thanks.
Yes it is for all suppliers of electricity in Spain.
In October it was only for those on PVPC. Now it is for all contracts. You can read more links on the net then the two I gave.
To establish if and how you are affected you should ask at the offices of your supplier or phone them if no offices locally.
It was due to a ruling made by the EU after FACUA complained about the system established in 2014.

Last edited by Casa Santo Estevo; Jan 5th 2020 at 3:18 pm. Reason: spilling!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.