British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   The 2007 Grand National (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/2007-grand-national-442121/)

jonsol Apr 15th 2007 10:59 am

Re: The 2007 Grand National

Originally Posted by Unexpat (Post 4640639)
That great British institution, the Grand National, is upon us once again at 16:15 (17:15 CET) today.

Anyone know of any options for watching the race live in Spain please?

PS. I'm on Hedgehunter - the old ones are the best ;)

:huh: Well I had a strange thing happen, ...I had already picked 2 horses during the week, and decided to do 2 " pin pricks " on Saturday, but changed my mind and cut out all the names from the paper and then with eyes closed picked out 2, and would you believe the 1st two I picked out were the 2 that I had already chosen mid-week :ohmy: ...it didn`t help, the best I did was a 5th :thumbdown:

Unexpat Apr 15th 2007 11:01 am

Originally Posted by crispygirl (Post 4643328)
I don't believe it:eek: I came on this thread to get away from you two boys and here you are just for that I am going to give you both one of these each :wub: :wub:

Right, I didn't watch the race to day but way back when....and I'm sure someone will tell me when that was I had the 1st and 2nd place in the office sweepstake I won a bundle with Red Rum and Crisp. In fact I won two year running with Red Rum my hubby at the time said I was mad betting on Red Rum the 2nd year boy did he have egg on his face:rofl: I know the date of this was in the early 70's as I was working in Fleet Street at the time.

Good on you for having the courage of your convictions and backing the previous year's winner, the following year. Statistically, over 60% of winners on chases of 3 miles or more, are won by the favourite. Not that I know anything about racing, just a few facts stick in one's mind ;)

Anyway, it was 1973, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...03/2889541.stm - the year that Ireland, Denmark and the UK joined the EEC and also the end of the Vietnam war, not to mention the start of Watergate, so it should be memorable in more ways than one :)

jdr Apr 15th 2007 11:01 am

Originally Posted by jonsol (Post 4644403)
:huh: Well I had a strange thing happen, ...I had already picked 2 horses during the week, and decided to do 2 " pin pricks " on Saturday, but changed my mind and cut out all the names from the paper and then with eyes closed picked out 2, and would you believe the 1st two I picked out were the 2 that I had already chosen mid-week :ohmy: ...it didn`t help, the best I did was a 5th :thumbdown:

Sounds about right for my luck too. ;-)

jonsol Apr 22nd 2007 11:42 am

Originally Posted by jonsol (Post 4644403)

:sneaky: ITS HAPPENED AGAIN, Well sort of,..Yesterday was the Scottish National, I had already picked one horse, ( it came 2nd ), and I cut the runners names out and put them in a bowl to choose 2 more at random, the result was one was the eventual winner and the other pulled up, but this morning was going to throw the cut out names away and decided to pick one more out to see if it had done any good, and would you believe it the name pulled out was the horse placed 3rd.........what are/were the chances of that I wonder :unsure:

Unexpat Apr 22nd 2007 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by jonsol (Post 4680337)
:sneaky: ITS HAPPENED AGAIN, Well sort of,..Yesterday was the Scottish National, I had already picked one horse, ( it came 2nd ), and I cut the runners names out and put them in a bowl to choose 2 more at random, the result was one was the eventual winner and the other pulled up, but this morning was going to throw the cut out names away and decided to pick one more out to see if it had done any good, and would you believe it the name pulled out was the horse placed 3rd.........what are/were the chances of that I wonder :unsure:

That you picked the 1st 2nd and 3rd in a 40 runner race? 1/40 x 1/39 x 1/38

That you did it twice in a row?

About 3.5 billion to 1, if I'm not mistaken :thumbsup:

jdr Apr 22nd 2007 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Unexpat (Post 4681055)
That you picked the 1st 2nd and 3rd in a 40 runner race? 1/40 x 1/39 x 1/38

That you did it twice in a row?

About 3.5 billion to 1, if I'm not mistaken :thumbsup:

Should of had a euro on it.;-)