Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

2 things - Bears in Spain and precautions regarding snakes kids and pets

2 things - Bears in Spain and precautions regarding snakes kids and pets

Old May 31st 2008, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

shellsbells is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 things - Bears in Spain and precautions regarding snakes kids and pets

Hi,
We are moving to Spain (Estepona area) in around 8 weeks and i am just reading about snakes and wildlife and cannot see the precautions to take for firstly my children who are old enough to wander around on their own and my family cat who is only used to the odd mouse. Has anyone got any advise about the real day to day precautions we should take for the children and cat?
Also can you advise me are there wild bears in Spain - i know we dont hear of them but i wanted to ask people who live there and will actually know from their experiences, we are to live near the coast but we will be exploring all of Spain and any feedback would be useful...
Thanks
Old May 31st 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 things - Bears in Spain and precautions regarding snakes kids and pets

If your kids are old enough to wander around make sure they're well educated and equipped for the use of shot guns in an emergency.

I'm afraid your cat is as good as dead already. Bid cats here. They bully like no others.

Interesting critters in this part of the world. Learn to live with them, or forever live a life in fear

It's safe

Scary caterpillars if you're a dog at certain times of year, but beyond that, all scary things are more scared than you are.

No wild bears sadly!
Old May 31st 2008, 9:50 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 things - Bears in Spain and precautions regarding snakes kids and pets

The only thing to worry about is the Dumbass Brits!
Old May 31st 2008, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

The Spanish fauna, as the rest of the fauna of Europe, is not dangerous. Snakes are in many countries, but the few species of snakes that there is in Spain or are inoffensive or their poison doesn't suppose danger, anything resemblance with countries like Australia, with a truly lethal fauna. And the few bears that we have (maybe the last brown bears of Europe) they are in mountainous areas and they escape of the men. It would be easier to go for a walk for a country area and to find a bear resting. Then if you don't find a tree you would have a serious problem...But it is something unlikely. These animals are confined in enormous farms with a lot of natural space. But you don't worry. The Spanish fauna is very nice, for example...

Spanish horse

Good...whenever some don't bother to the fauna

Last edited by Relampago; Jun 1st 2008 at 12:10 am.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:47 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by shellsbells
Hi,
We are moving to Spain (Estepona area) in around 8 weeks and i am just reading about snakes and wildlife and cannot see the precautions to take for firstly my children who are old enough to wander around on their own and my family cat who is only used to the odd mouse. Has anyone got any advise about the real day to day precautions we should take for the children and cat?
Also can you advise me are there wild bears in Spain - i know we dont hear of them but i wanted to ask people who live there and will actually know from their experiences, we are to live near the coast but we will be exploring all of Spain and any feedback would be useful...
Thanks
Read all about snakes and reptiles living in Spain here

http://www.iberianature.com/material/spanishsnakes.html

In the fir trees you will notice a white candy floss type cluster or cocoon ,On the odd branch these should be very carefully and I mean carefully cut from the tree branch and burnt because these contain the PROCESSIONAL PINE CATERPILLARS
These are probably one of the most unpleasant creatures you will find in Spain, especially where pine trees are in abundance. Warn your children not to touch them as they are not like the friendly English caterpillars. The very fine hairs on them are poisonous and very dangerous. They can be seen living in silk cocoon style nests hanging in pine trees. They are at their most noticeable from January to mid April and are at their most dangerous in mid/late February. They are often seen in the evenings, walking in procession from tree to tree. If they drop on to you or your pet, do not brush them off with your hands as they will cause great irritation, pain and a rash. Dogs, cats and people can suffer from shock and the hairs of the caterpillar are still virulent even when the creatures are dead. Do not hit them with sticks because hairs flying in the air are just as dangerous. Burn them, but be careful of floating hairs. If the caterpillars are in the tree cocoon state, spray the nest with hairspray to seal down the hairs, cover the cocoon and the affected part of the branch with a plastic bag, cut down the branch, put it on the ground and burn it. If they are on the ground marching, it is better to first spray them with lighter fuel and then set them alight. This reduces the risk of flying hairs but be careful not to start a forest fire as during the summer months, the undergrowth and trees are very dry. If you live near pine trees, it is recommended that you keep anti histamine tablets handy as an early treatment. If a person or animal shows signs of shock, get them to a doctor, hospital or vet immediately.These are common I have to cut out a few dozen of these every year around the house as my whole property has so many of them. You can not remove all but just where children and pets play or lay. The hair spray keeps the cocoon together whilst you remove it from the tree and acts as an accelerate when you burn them. WARN YOU CHILDREN ABOUT THESE. There are Wild Boar in the campo and you can sometimes see where they have been rolling in the mud They are around where I live but I have never seen one , If you do stay away they can be dangerous look them up on the internet with regards their various locations. Also if you live outside of town from Aug to 1st Sunday in Feb, Hunters and dogs roam killing everything in sight. I do not let them shoot on my land because all I suffer is a few water pipes to my orange groves being chewed by the rabbits and that's about it, But they tend to let fly with shotguns though trees with no due care who may be on the other side, I have young grandchildren so I will not put them in danger in order a local can kill a creature he can buy in the supermarket for 5 euros. They will normal have about half a dozen dogs to spring the game so you do have a form of warning guns are around if you see them. So I have 3 stone rabbits on my land but we are all happy. We have always had land in the UK and I have shot there but I was trained and the shoots were organised, They tend not to be here unless guests attend your private estate for wild boar etc.Certain highly endangered animals including the few remaining brown bears which still roam the mountains of northern Spain and the virtually extinct Spanish Lynx are fiercely protected and the hunting of them incurs severe penalties. I am sure you and your children will be very happy here its a great country, You will get out what you put in.

Keep your eye out for the lurking brit builder it will fleece your wallet alive
normally found in low life bars and cafes its normal diet in the morning is the brit belt buster of 12 rashers 4 eggs and big mugs of tea, Was unemployed in another life but tends to reinvent itself in hotter climates to emerge as your best friend......stay well clear

Last edited by poshnbucks; Jun 1st 2008 at 3:51 am.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 6:36 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure that link is in the free beer thread.

Also one to
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:19 am
Just Joined

shellsbells is an unknown quantity at this point

HI thanks for your replies - its good to hear what its like day to day rather than what you read up on the Internet - the Internet an amazing thing but can sometimes gives you too much information out of context. Its good to be prepared as possible - so we are not dumb ass brits as someone so nicely put it .....
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:21 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I am sure that link is in the free beer thread.

Also one to http://1000smilies.com/caterpillar.gif
and some great gardening advice too
Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
and some great gardening advice too
I should of also mentioned that. ;-))
Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:19 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I should of also mentioned that. ;-))
I will however say..........

you missed one I did a while back, there are now 5
Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I will however say..........

you missed one I did a while back, there are now 5
Sorry gimme the link and I will add it, you just can`t get the staff these days.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:35 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by jdr
Sorry gimme the link and I will add it, you just can`t get the staff these days.
you're telling me!

Its only a little one.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...n+Spain&page=6
Old Jun 1st 2008, 4:19 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt;
Its only a little one.
Modest too.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 4:20 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Modest too.
I noticed that too....
Old Jun 1st 2008, 4:22 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I noticed that too....
Well you would, cos it`s closest to you. ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.