Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

1st thread! young couple movin to spain-bringing horse and needs alot of advice!! :)

1st thread! young couple movin to spain-bringing horse and needs alot of advice!! :)

Old Apr 9th 2012, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

natalie24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1st thread! young couple movin to spain-bringing horse and needs alot of advice!! :)

Hi Guys.

Myself and my boyfriend are hoping to move to spain and become expats very soon (hopefully before our winter here in the UK)

We are unsure where we could move a few key factors would be;
- my boyfriend works offshore for 2 x weeks on and 2 x weeks off
i would like to be around people my own age

- i want to live somewhere safe and near a beach

- i would like to find some form of work, i have worked as a beauty therapist, worked in sales and call centres and love horses.

- have my own lovely horse, and have been getting quotes to bring him over with me. would never leave him

so i was wondering if you could all give me your advise i want to know everything i possibly can and want to make sure i will be safe and will have the opportunity to work and make friends whilst hes away.

any help is much appreciated.

thanks in advance...

natalie

-
Old Apr 9th 2012, 5:33 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st thread! young couple movin to spain-bringing horse and needs alot of advice!!

Are you fluent in Spanish, if not your chanses of getting a job are extremely low, unemployment is officially 23%, and in fact probably a lot higher than 30%. There is no social security, unemployment benefits or other help, you might get some free health care based on your current UK SS payments but after that you will have to go private if you do not have a job with a contract.

There are plenty of threads on the job situation in Spain. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but you do have to look at the facts. Spain is a great place to live if you are retired and getting a pension, or if you have plenty of money so you don't have to work, but if you are relying on getting a job then...
Old Apr 9th 2012, 5:40 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st thread! young couple movin to spain-bringing horse and needs alot of advise!!

Originally Posted by natalie24
Hi Guys.

Myself and my boyfriend are hoping to move to spain and become expats very soon (hopefully before our winter here in the UK)
Great! You and 100000 others...

We are unsure where we could move a few key factors would be;
- my boyfriend works offshore for 2 x weeks on and 2 x weeks off
i would like to be around people my own age
What age would that be?

- i want to live somewhere safe and near a beach
Me too, but sadly, I can't afford beach properties.

- i would like to find some form of work, i have worked as a beauty therapist, worked in sales and call centres and love horses.
There are millions of people in Spain who would like to find some form of work. Most of them would do almost anything to make a salary 1/3 of what you could get in the UK as a receptionist. And they all speak Spanish, and probably not much english.

- have my own lovely horse, and have been getting quotes to bring him over with me. would never leave him
Then you need something with some space. Hmm, near the beach, with enough land to legally keep a horse, and on a limited income.

Tough one, but it can be done. We live in a place similar to that, but paying for it is always a stretch and it's not simple. I know...

so i was wondering if you could all give me your advise i want to know everything i possibly can and want to make sure i will be safe and will have the opportunity to work and make friends whilst hes away.

any help is much appreciated.

thanks in advance...

natalie

-
You sound like a really nice girl. But remember these words: Nothing is easy. I hope your boyfriend has a good income and just loves you beyond words. If so, better get him on a more matrimonial train of thought. You're about to take a very big step, depending entirely on him to realise it.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

natalie24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1st thread! young couple movin to spain-bringing horse and needs alot of advise!!

hiya no not fluent can speak a little. my partner is on enough to support us both comfortably. but i would like a job as with him working away i would be bored to death. the healthcare thing i understand and the pension i have covered. i was just hoping to get a understanding of work, your comments are much appreciated and i thank you for your honesty
Old Apr 9th 2012, 5:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If money isn't an issue you could try voluntary work. Since you are clearly an animal lover, some of the local animal charities could be looking for regular help.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 6:23 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

hiya no not fluent can speak a little. my partner is on enough to support us both comfortably. but i would like a job as with him working away i would be bored to death. the healthcare thing i understand and the pension i have covered. i was just hoping to get a understanding of work, your comments are much appreciated and i thank you for your honesty
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 9th 2012, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

little Spanish will not go far, you need to be fluent, you are very unlikely to get a job, I agree maybe try voluntary work. no work for the Spanish, so sorry you more than likely wont find any.
Many people have gone back as cannot work or survive here, health care is expensive you will only get up to two years depending on your NI contributions in UK.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:35 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Finding a place big enough to keep a horse and near a beach would be difficult, and if available would cost a bomb.

Better to put the horse in local stables and find a smaller place to live.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 10:51 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE,

I'm not in Spain but wanted to pop by and say hi.

What areas of Spain are you interested in moving to?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:54 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st thread! young couple movin to spain-bringing horse and needs alot of advice!!

have you been to Spain and had a look around, forming any feelings about where you might like to live ??

spain is a very large country, mainly rocks and mountains, with very high temperatures in the summer 4 months or so.

a google search will find you a number of properties (not always near the beach) that are already set up for horses, complete with buildings, training areas etc.

I would suggest you make up a wish list, make it as long and exotice as you want, and see what you can do to meet as much as you can on that list.

good luck
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:13 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

good points

another question for natalie24.... what airport will your boyfriend be flying from?

that will narrow down an area

if it's 2 weeks 2 weeks off then that's a lot of flying.... you'll want to be nearish to the most convenient one
Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of ex pat stables on the costas, most struggling to make a living , why not approach some with regards to livery ? ,Check them out before you turn up with your horse as some are really rough!

Also speak to a vet in Spain regarding entry requirements , most speak English and there are a few English ones , don't listen to bar room experts on this matter!

Last edited by Rotor; Apr 10th 2012 at 3:34 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:46 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

... and if you dont know already, its very wet, windy and cold in Spain in the winter!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
... and if you dont know already, its very wet, windy and cold in Spain in the winter!

Jo xxx
SW England seems to get milder winters these days!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

this artist has horses on Costas Blanca so may be worth contacting her for advice! here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.