Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

1st Post - Loads of help needed - thanks in advance

1st Post - Loads of help needed - thanks in advance

Old Feb 7th 2022, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

W100RDY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1st Post - Loads of help needed - thanks in advance

Firstly thanks for taking the time to read or reply if you are in any position to help

Myself, my wife and our 8 year old daughter (plus dog) are looking to make the move for a better way of life in the next 1-2 years

I am trying to absorb what I can but there are a couple of fundamentals that will have a huge bearing on if we can make this happen which I am looking for help on

1 . I work from home now based in Yorkshire even though out main office is based in London. I intend to continue to do this (but with hopefully a prettier view) but I am not sure if I would qualify for a visa/residency based on this ? my salary is £50k + so assume I can prove financially I can provide for the family. Any guidance ?
2. Our daughter is almost 9 and does not speak fluent Spanish obviously (none of us do) so I am wondering about schooling options available to us that won't break the bank ?

We are not set on location as yet as we have just started the journey of looking into this but we want to be in the south (east) somewhere with plenty to do and see with plenty of sun. I'll stop there and come back more once I can grasp these 2 major factors

Again appreciate any help or suggestions you can give us
Old Feb 7th 2022, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st Post - Loads of help needed - thanks in advance

Apart fom the Visa situation, is your company set up so you can work abroad permanently? Most might allow for short periods but once you become tax resident it's a different story.
Old Feb 7th 2022, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

thanks Moses, I am a company director and do not believe there is an issue there. One of our other directors works out of his home office in Estonia
Old Feb 7th 2022, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

To OP, you need first to do lots of reading, lots of info is out there.
Start with Spain's embassy website.

Visas (FAQ)

You also need to read up on UK and Spain's tax system.
Old Feb 7th 2022, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

You really need to consolidate your threads then you may get better advice:

Let me introduce you please

Steve
Old Feb 8th 2022, 9:36 am
Just Joined

I don't believe I do tebo53. My other post was just an intro post to say "Hi" when joining the group. I put it into the intro's section of the forum with no questions but for some reason someone moved it into the Spain area so looks like I have been overly active maybe
Old Feb 9th 2022, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome. For the visa part you should take some professional advice after doing some reading. It's much simpler to pay a competent person to do this for you. I worked remotely for 15 months when I arrived and didn't have any problems, but Covid helped in that respect as I only went back a couple of times and it was within the EU which makes the airport hassles disappear. By the sound of it, if you need to return regularly you need to be near an airport with good connections. If you can find a smaller airport, even better. Whenever I travel I usually give myself 30-45 minutes before the departure to get through Valencia airport and an extra 30 minutes if I'm checking luggage.

Regarding finances, you should be OK on that salary, depending on how + the + is. Tax is high once you get above 60K Euro, employ a good accountant and consider consulting to your company. Consulting may also help with the visa, but like I said get a professional to advise you.

As for schools, I can't speak for the south but here in Valencia the English speaking private schools are very reasonable, around 8-10k per year. The expectation level is pretty high if you're coming from the UK. I would recommend entering the Spanish system straight away. At 9 years old they pick up the language in no time. My son finished his GCSEs at boarding school in the school with great grades, he started his A levels here and he's finding it a real challenge.
Old Feb 11th 2022, 9:19 am
Just Joined

thanks so much for the message all very sound advice, when you say professional advice do you happen to know who that might be or where I start (I am not sure what the profession is?). I would much prefer this option as it would give me the confidence I am doing everything correctly

thanks again
Old Feb 16th 2022, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

..but I am not sure if I would qualify for a visa/residency based on this ? my salary is £50k +... [
Damn.. they will be falling over to welcome you with open arms.

We don't have half of that between 2 of us, and we have a mortgage.. hahaha