Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

19 and moving to Majorca. Help!

19 and moving to Majorca. Help!

Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:00 am
Just Joined

HarryMallorca94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 19 and moving to Majorca. Help!

Hello everyone.

I am nineteen years old and I'm moving from the UK to Majorca at the beginning of March. I've sold my car over here and the majority of my possessions as my dad has an apartment in Port Adriano which I will be living in. There's a few things on my mind though..

What's it like finding people in my age group aside from venturing into Magaluf?

Are there any English football leagues on the island?

What's car insurance like for people my age? I'm 20 soon and was hoping to get an 08 BMW M3 on Spanish plates once I turn 20?

Should I learn Spanish more fluently? I know basic Spanish but it's not enough for a good conversation.

What will I do about my UK medical prescriptions?

Is there any English clothes stores on the island? Such as TopMan or All Saints?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by HarryMallorca94; Feb 11th 2014 at 12:06 am.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 19 and moving to Majorca. Help!

Originally Posted by HarryMallorca94
Hello everyone.

I am nineteen years old and I'm moving from the UK to Majorca at the beginning of March. I've sold my car over here and the majority of my possessions as my dad has an apartment in Port Adriano which I will be living in. There's a few things on my mind though..

What's it like finding people in my age group aside from venturing into Magaluf?

What's car insurance like for people my age? I'm 20 soon and was hoping to get an 08 BMW M3 on Spanish plates once I turn 20?

Should I learn Spanish more fluently? I know basic Spanish but it's not enough for a good conversation.

Is there any English clothes stores on the island? Such as TopMan or All Saints?
Thanks in advance.
Are you serious? Sounds like a wind up to me!
Just picturing you driving your Beamer, parking outside Topman, collecting your prescription and then watching an English team playing football....in Majorca!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:21 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Are you serious? Sounds like a wind up to me!
Just picturing you driving your Beamer, parking outside Topman, collecting your prescription and then watching an English team playing football....in Majorca!
It seems like a wind up to me too.

Could it be the 'Billy no mates' who just happened to join last night, and was sapped into oblivion?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:05 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm moving to Mallorca and have a few questions:
  • Do they speak English there? Or do I need to learn some foreign language?
  • Do they have normal stores where you can buy normal stuff? or do I have to pick fruits from trees and hunt game?
  • Do they have Pharmacies? How can I buy drugs?
  • Do they have cars? Beemers?
  • Do they have HP sauce?
  • Do the girls wear knickers?
  • Can I watch Jeremy Kyle on TV?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 8:32 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone.

Thanks in advance.
Taking your post seriously.

What are you going to do about money? will you need to find a job, be aware that Spanish nationals can't find much apart from very low paid bar work at your age, and you are in a worse position as you do not speak fluent Spanish, so working cash in hand for 3 or 4 Euros an hour is probaby the best you can hope for.

You will have to have private medical cover, and therefore will have to pay for all prescriptions unless you find a job with a legal contract.

Clothes stores are all likely to be Spainish, suprisingly.

Car insurance for you is likely to be more than it would be in the UK, and second hand cars are far more expensive in Spain than in the UK.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 8:45 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

OK Here's some reasonable answers to your questions (a few of of which merely state the bleedin' obvious):

Port Adriano is no slouch. It's one of those places recently built to attract the yachting crowd. Presuming you have some bob, you'll be just fine there.

It's practically a suburb of Santa Ponsa, which is a haven for both Germans and Brits. All of which speak English. Unfortunately, most of them are typical of those who move to an island and buy a sailboat after a life of hard work that made them some money (especially Adriano and Santa Ponsa); 19 doesn't really fit there.

That's not to say there aren't younger people here, there are, but many are Mallorquin or south American who speak precious little English. Many of those are leaving anyway, because there are few available permanent skilled jobs for the young (and labour law here makes "temporary" employment far more attractive to employers). Those 19-ish that may be English or German are usually here for seasonal work in the hotels, restaurants, and bars.

Nonetheless, Adriano just down the road from Magaluf, where you can hurt yourself with lots of other young Brits, all summer long. And again, a few bob will open all the doors.

Are there English football leagues in Zanzibar?

Sounds expensive, about the same as anywhere. If you're gonna be resident, you'll need a licence. Just drive like you're the only person on the road and you'll fit right in.

If you want to do anything substantial, then yes. A little German could also put you in favour with pretty young German girls.

Browse this forum more to find out more about that. NHS cards are accepted here in the hospitals (but not without a little frustration), but you'll likely have to pay for prescriptions and apply for reimbursement, if you qualify.

No. But there are plenty of excellent clothing stores - chic, boutique, and cheap outlet places as well. Some would say far more chic than in blighty. After all, the sailing crowd usually seeks something different. You'll find precious few of them in Adriano, if any. Palma is the place.

Having said all that, don't come here expecting to have to "put up" with all this "foreign" stuff. Find the rhythm here, embrace it, and then find yourself. It will come to you eventually...

Last edited by amideislas; Feb 11th 2014 at 8:50 am.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:57 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone.

Thanks in advance.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:42 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum
Sounds like you have a good start to living there if you're dads providing the accomodation
Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance for under 25s is never easy and Spain is no different.

Frankly, if you could find someone to insure an M3, it would probably cost more than the car is worth.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 3:01 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Why would a 19 yr old who can afford to buy a BMW be asking about medical prescriptions
Old Feb 11th 2014, 3:25 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Why would a 19 yr old who can afford to buy a BMW be asking about medical prescriptions
I think it could be more a question of getting the drugs prescribed rather than the cost.

If you are obliquely suggesting that this is a wind up, as others have, then I suggest you leave that decision to the moderators - please.

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 11th 2014 at 3:27 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 3:38 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I think it could be more a question of getting the drugs prescribed rather than the cost.

If you are obliquely suggesting that this is a wind up, as others have, then I suggest you leave that decision to the moderators - please.
Did I mention wind up Several others have and you chose not to comment. There are lots of moving to Spain threads on here that I think are wind ups but I don't say so!