Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

19, considering move to Gibraltar, advice please?

19, considering move to Gibraltar, advice please?

Old May 8th 2008, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Hannor is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 19, considering move to Gibraltar, advice please?

Hi guys,

I've been considering moving out of the UK for a while, i think I've decided on Gibraltar. I don't really know where to start to be honest.

A few questions..

What are job opportunity's like?
Nice lifestyle?
Whats the deal with like health? Dentists, doctors, hospitals etc...?
What should i think about doing before moving out there?
Any good sites with job vacancies/flats for rent etc...?
Negatives? Positives?
Also i was wondering if there are university's out there college etc...?

Think thats everything!

Cheers, really appreciate any help given

Last edited by Hannor; May 8th 2008 at 7:05 pm.
Old May 8th 2008, 7:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 19, considering move to Gibraltar, advice please?

Type moving to Gibraltar in the search this forum box at the top of the forum page as there have been a number of threads on this.
Old May 9th 2008, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Dukeofmarmalade is an unknown quantity at this point

I to would like some advice please
Old May 13th 2008, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

In answer to your questions:

Job Oppurtunities - depends on your area of skill. If you don't really have a particular area then you are going to be limited to bar/cafe/shop work. But Gibraltar is very over populated so finding 'general' work can be very time consuming and difficult.

Lifestyle - living in Spain, working in Gibraltar is best. But the daily queue to get in and out seems to be getting worse again, I can quite often queue for 40mins plus OUTSIDE of rush hour time! Rush hour is just a write off, park in Spain and walk across - just hope its not raining!

Health - depends on where you are living, ie. Spain or Gibraltar. Do a search on here much more knowledgable people than me on that subject.

Doing before you come out - not much really you can do, just tie up all loose ends back home, bring as much money as you can and give it a go.

Regarding jobs etc, just do a search for "jobs gibraltar" on Google, plenty of sites. In general though ambientjobs, thinkspain, recuitspain.
Property look at bfagib.com for a start.

Negatives: Gibraltar is not a wonderful place, small, smelly, rubbish shops, loads of tourists, expensive, windy and quite often cloudy.

Positives: much better weather, some things can be cheaper (ie. booze and fags!), amazing scenery.

There is a college here, again run a google search that will bring it up.

Overall Gibraltar is not a great place to be, which is why most people live in Spain and commute to Gibraltar. This is what I do, but it can be a pain. In Summer the walk across is nice (obv. does get very hot) but parking in Spain can be difficult due to all the tourists. In Winter parking is easier, but if its raining its hell!!!
Occasionally i drive in but expect to queue for a good 45-60mins in rush hour which again is horrible.

If I didnt have a job to come to or a decent skill (ie. IT, legal, laungauge etc) then I wouldnt personally do the move, but many do its just expensive this end of Spain and things can quickly mount up if you arent earning.
Bear in mind the minimum wage is lower here also, and most of the 'easy' jobs just pay minimum because worker to job ratio is so high!

I sound quite negative in what ive said but im just being realistic. everyone is different and a lot has to do with luck, so if you want to do it, give it a go - just make sure you have a backup plan if things dont work how you expected
Old May 14th 2008, 6:55 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

I also live in spain and work in Gibraltar and what ballin said is pretty much correct. I actually miss working in Marbella in a way because it was a much nicer place.

Yes Gibraltar is always bloody windy and cloudy! Its like a totally different climate to Marbella. The border queues did get really bad again at one point, but they seemed to have gotten a bit better again. Took just 10 mins to drive in and out yesterday (8am - 4.30pm)

I actually cycle over the border unless im filling the car up. So far Ive had no problems parking in La Linea except on Wednesdays where its market days there.

The benefits of working in Gibraltar are:
UK Style working hours (generally lower than spain)
Better money - (which would be even better if the exhchange rate sorts itself out!)
Better employee rights (not as easy to get sacked!)

The other advantage is that you dont have to make a special trip to get what is good out of Gibraltar, such as cheaper fuel, cheap fags, booze and british food.
Old May 14th 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

teddy14 is an unknown quantity at this point

just save up plenty of money and book a flight, and book into a hostel for a couple of days and once your there concentrate all your efforts into getting a flat/flat share, then look for work. Just go for it, better to live than regret, is what i always say.

Thats what I did 6 years ago when i was 18 and ended up spending a year working in Gib and living in La Linea - (far cheaper, and better for living in my opinion than Gib).

Im moving back to the area in just over a week coz I missed it so much.

Some people complain about La Linea (im guessing though these people prefer costal "resorts"), and altough its a little rough arround the edges its a great town, with good beaches, and in easy reach of all the major locations on the costa del sol/Luz, and from what I remember it had a great nightlife, although far more low key (in a good, chilled way) than what i was used to in england.

What work were you thinking of/ have experience in?

If your wanting to work in hospitality Id get over there as soon as possible, before the students break up as you have a quite a few students come to the area each year for summer work, which means jobs are harder to come by. For office work the job market is pretty similar to england.