Reload this Page >

11 months' rent paid in one go

11 months' rent paid in one go

Old May 1st 2012, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

jilandjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 11 months' rent paid in one go

Hello,

My wife and I live in the UK and are planning to live in Spain for a year as a trial out.

We have found a lovely place and managed to negotiate the price for the rent on the conditions that we would pay the 11 month (ON A CONTRATO DE ARRENDAMIENTO DE TEMPORADA) in advance (this was our proposition). In the contract it says that the 11 month should be paid in cash.

Well we don’t really want travel from the UK with 13200 Euros in cash plus one month deposit. Would not feel safe!

1. So we think of proposing a bank transfer but is it a safe option as he (the landlord) will have received our money but we will still be in the Uk with only his word that he’s received our funds!

2. Should we also received a returned a signed contract before the funds are sent to the owners or the other way round?

3. Also I have read in some of the threads that it is illegal to pay more than one months at a time? Is this really true for a temporary contract? Should we be concerned by this even if we are happy with the situation?

Many thanks for your help
Old May 1st 2012, 8:22 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 11 months' rent paid in one go

Originally Posted by jilandjo
Hello,

My wife and I live in the UK and are planning to live in Spain for a year as a trial out.

We have found a lovely place and managed to negotiate the price for the rent on the conditions that we would pay the 11 month (ON A CONTRATO DE ARRENDAMIENTO DE TEMPORADA) in advance (this was our proposition). In the contract it says that the 11 month should be paid in cash.

Well we don’t really want travel from the UK with 13200 Euros in cash plus one month deposit. Would not feel safe!

1. So we think of proposing a bank transfer but is it a safe option as he (the landlord) will have received our money but we will still be in the Uk with only his word that he’s received our funds!

2. Should we also received a returned a signed contract before the funds are sent to the owners or the other way round?

3. Also I have read in some of the threads that it is illegal to pay more than one months at a time? Is this really true for a temporary contract? Should we be concerned by this even if we are happy with the situation?

I certainly wouldn't do it

under no circumstances would I ever pay more than a month fianza/deposit & a month rent upfront

will this be your only residence in Spain? if so, the temporary contract isn't legally appropriate
Old May 1st 2012, 8:28 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

WHAT??? They're trying it on. the worst I've heard of is 6 months up front and that was only to get a substantial discount. DONT DO IT! What happens if you dont like it, or if there are problems???? NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO...........!!! Its usually one month deposit and one month up front - thats the standard, legal way!

Jo xxx
Old May 1st 2012, 8:32 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 1st 2012, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

SpanishAngel will become famous soon enoughSpanishAngel will become famous soon enough

Do NOT part with your money.
Old May 1st 2012, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

LolaRose is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds VERY dodgy to me. I wouldn't part with a penny until you've physically seen the property just in case it doesn't actually exist...
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

No way. That is an expensive rent in any case unless it's a magnificent villa.
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

There are so many properties for rent now that you could take your pick, come over and stay in a hotel for a week while you look round for something suitable for your needs.

What ever you end up doing....do NOT part with that sort of money up front, it sounds like a very dodgy deal and the property may not belong to them or may not even exist!
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:21 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

jilandjo as the others have said this is very odd !

Why take the risk, as Megmet said book into a hotel near your chosen area and come back on here to ask for further advice as its odds on that a member will know someone who has a place to rent that may well suit.
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:06 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
No way. That is an expensive rent in any case unless it's a magnificent villa.
I thought that too!! Dont do it!

Jo xxx
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Kayak is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed don't do it.

Something will happen to the euro in the short term, keep your money safe.

Good Luck!
Old May 2nd 2012, 8:27 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Oh this stuff never happens in Spain.

Don't you know that Spain and its people are the most transparent, ethical, and legally proper country on the planet? Come to think of it, Spain is the world's #1 in everything, isn't it?

Here's another #1 for you: Naive foreigner newbies and their money soon part ways.

Last edited by amideislas; May 2nd 2012 at 10:19 am.
Old May 2nd 2012, 9:06 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

this was our proposition
This has to be a wind up? Or the most gullible stupid couple ever.

Not safe to travel with 13200 euros but safe / stupid enough to pay up front for a rental property. Don't tell me this is for a property they have not seen to a man they have not met?

1,100+ per month = must be a very nice property?

Last edited by missile; May 2nd 2012 at 10:38 am.
Old May 2nd 2012, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

If you do decide to travel with this amount of cash do not forget to declare it at customs/immigration. Whilst it's not illegal to travel with this amount of cash it has to declared or in could be confiscated!

I'm sure once you have reread your own post you will see how ill advised it would be. Would you do the same in the UK where you have a fighting chance of getting it back? If anything goes wrong you can say goodbye to your hard-earned.
Old May 2nd 2012, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
If you do decide to travel with this amount of cash do not forget to declare it at customs/immigration. Whilst it's not illegal to travel with this amount of cash it has to declared or in could be confiscated!

I'm sure once you have reread your own post you will see how ill advised it would be. Would you do the same in the UK where you have a fighting chance of getting it back? If anything goes wrong you can say goodbye to your hard-earned.
Well notwithstanding that those who think 1100 is unfeasibly high are mistaken DEPENDING on where you look/live, I'd agree with everything that's been said.
Have you seen the property?
Have you met the landlord?
Do you know the arrangements ref electricity/maintenance/basura/water/garage/etcetera/etcetera?

Goodness me, on reflection words fail me..... if you've negotiated the price and YOU suggested paying all upfront, which would normally only occur to someone if they feel they've got a really good deal, then it must have been - guessing - 1500 or more a month to start. Crikey!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.