100 Montaditos

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:03 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default 100 Montaditos

Anyone like this chain? Apparently they have plans to open 4,000 outlets in the US! They're being called the "Starbucks of the sandwich store" or the "Zara of the Roll". I can't help feel they are being a bit optimistic, although I see they started already in Miami. Looks like they are expanding soon in the UK and Italy too.

http://www.eleconomista.es/empresas-...inco-anos.html

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...-08112011.html

With Spain mired in its worst financial crisis in almost six decades and concern about a government default swirling, you’d think there’d be little reason to party. But on a recent sweltering evening in Madrid, Juan Caldera was busy socializing at a local restaurant as he munched on a bacon and brie sandwich washed down with a cold beer. Thankfully for the 23-year-old law student, a big night out comes at a small cost at trendy 100 Montaditos, a restaurant chain that’s taken Spain by storm. The traditional 5-inch sandwiches that give the chain its name some nights cost just €1 ($1.42), while beer is €2, the perfect tab for a nation coping with a 21 percent jobless rate, the highest in Europe. “We love the price and the atmosphere,” says Caldera. “I come with friends once a week and have three to seven montaditos. There are so many people, you even have to line up for a few minutes to grab a chair.”

The chain has doubled its number of restaurants across Spain since 2007, to 200, and now it’s setting its sights on the U.S. Restalia Grupo de Eurorestauración, the parent company of 100 Montaditos, aims to open 4,000 American stores in the next five years. As it does in Europe, the chain will chase that goal with a combination of company-owned stores and franchised restaurants. It would be a faster expansion than that of Starbucks (SBUX), which didn’t have that many outlets in the U.S. until three decades after its first shop opened.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 100 Montaditos

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Anyone like this chain? Apparently they have plans to open 4,000 outlets in the US! They're being called the "Starbucks of the sandwich store" or the "Zara of the Roll". I can't help feel they are being a bit optimistic, although I see they started already in Miami. Looks like they are expanding soon in the UK and Italy too.

http://www.eleconomista.es/empresas-...inco-anos.html

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...-08112011.html
Yes and its an awful place, the worst of all the Spanish chains.

Basically they serve "pan con pan - comida de tontos" which might actually make it a success in the US

Gambrinus is also terrible, although Lizarran is very good - as is Matahambre which is a small chain on the CDS. Spain has great food and places to east, but doesnt do chain restaurants well, but then again most chain restaurants are terrible anyway
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:18 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes and its an awful place, the worst of all the Spanish chains.

Basically they serve "pan con pan - comida de tontos" which might actually make it a success in the US

Gambrinus is also terrible, although Lizarran is very good - as is Matahambre which is a small chain on the CDS. Spain has great food and places to east, but doesnt do chain restaurants well, but then again most chain restaurants are terrible anyway
I agree that most chain restaurants aren't good - the only one I have time for in the UK is Nando's , as they concentrate on getting one thing right. I don't have an opinion on 100 montaditos, as I never used the place. It always seemed to be quite busy though. I always found Gambrinus to be quite good (the Madrid places I used anyway).
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:27 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

May do well in some areas of the US. Lot of competition though. Have been in one in Spain and they are ok.

Seeing as they are franchises I suppose it depends on finding enough people to invest.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:32 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by jackytoo
May do well in some areas of the US. Lot of competition though. Have been in one in Spain and they are ok.

Seeing as they are franchises I suppose it depends on finding enough people to invest.
Yes, I wondered about that. But the US is well used to this sort of thing (didn't McDs operate as a franchise?) and I suppose if the first batch in Miami and New York do well, then there'll be plenty of entrepreneurs prepared to invest in this business.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:35 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

As with all chains quality varies. I like Nandos but some are better than others. Suprised they never got into the spanish market.

Franchises do seem popular in the US. They are very restricitve terms. Someone we know left Spain and bought a franchise, they lost everything.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

We were in Madrid in the middle of May and had read that the most economical way to eat was to have the main meal at lunchtime and a snack in the evening.
100 Montaditos was a short stroll from the hotel and a pleasant place to sit and drink in the evening whilst watching the world pass by.
There were various offers over the days we were there but it was cheaper to have a montidito and a drink than to order the drink only.
Not the best cuisine in the world but quite acceptable and good value for money.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

While I would not seek it or other chains out I have eaten in several 100 Montaditos, had a good selection of them, all served fresh and hot/cold as should be. Been served much worse ( and rejected) in some places.