1.5 gb of data

Old Jan 18th 2014, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1.5 gb of data

I've been looking at getting a dongle for internet access and Movistar (before anybody recommends a better provider it's the only one I can get a decent signal from) have a 500mb for 9 euro plus an extra 1 gb for another 9 euro.What will that actually give me in terms of internet, using a netbook.I use internet for study 6-8 hours per day and stream (yep I know it's illegal) a football match or two at weekends.Is the 1.5 gb enough?
Old Jan 18th 2014, 5:19 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1.5 gb of data

Using the Internet for normal browsing shouldn't be a problem but streaming TV will take a lot of your allowance.

For example, a one hour TV program downloaded from BBC iPlayer takes about 600mb. Streaming may be at a slightly lower quality hence a bit less data but it will all depend on the stream you are using. The better the quality the higher the data rate.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure of the vagaries of dongles and exactly how the isp would calculate your usage however, I would say no its not going to be enough if you are using it via 3g or 4g. Especially if you are on for 6 hours a day study, that can be a lot of download if you need documents or photo's/video's, especially the latter. Definatley no for streaming programs, you will not have enough for that.

For instance back in the UK I had 200gb per month used it all on wifi, my son has just had installed in our home a fibreoptic connection 100mb per sec download speed with unlimited downloads. In the first week he downloaded 700gb of 'stuff' I won't go into exactly what

In spain we have a wifi connection via a microwave dish outside. That is unlimited with a 6mb per sec connection, this really is about the slowest you can get away with for streaming programs, unless of course you are happy to put up with the freezing and jumping pictures as the buffer tries to keep up.

This is my opinion, someone more savvy may say something different.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 5:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee

In spain we have a wifi connection via a microwave dish outside. That is unlimited with a 6mb per sec connection, this really is about the slowest you can get away with for streaming programs, unless of course you are happy to put up with the freezing and jumping pictures as the buffer tries to keep up.
BBC iPlayer works fine at 2.5mb for me. No freezing at all. The HD option is a problem though.

Sky Go works fine but they do seem to have some clever buffering as the initial picture is rubbish but slowly improves - no freezing though.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm normally only browsing websites for study.not downloading docs or photos,so it looks like my weekly football fix is a thing of the past.It isn't contract so maybe an experimental month.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:37 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

My smartphone package allows me 2Gb a month. Normal usage is around 1Gb for emails etc. If I go somewhere and don´t want to use Wi-Fi on my laptop, I connect the two together and use the phone for internet on the laptop. I´ve been known to use all 2Gb!

Davexf
Old Jan 19th 2014, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Fred I'd be interested how you get sky go to work. Sky alledgedly check the i.p address of the device and if it is not UK based they block the signal, or words to that effect on their website. If you have a work around would you pm me please, it would keep SWMBO happy if she could watch programs on catchup when I'm hogging the tv
Old Jan 19th 2014, 8:15 am

Simple. Use a VPN or Smart DNS for about $5/month.

It has been discussed a lot on the current TV thread.

I have used Unblock-US and Astrill successfully.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Fred I'd be interested how you get sky go to work. Sky alledgedly check the i.p address of the device and if it is not UK based they block the signal, or words to that effect on their website. If you have a work around would you pm me please, it would keep SWMBO happy if she could watch programs on catchup when I'm hogging the tv
Originally Posted by Fred James
Simple. Use a VPN or Smart DNS for about $5/month.

It has been discussed a lot on the current TV thread.

I have used Unblock-US and Astrill successfully.
Although you need to be aware that you will be breaking the law - both contract with Sky and UK & EC IPR laws - the chances are very low that you will get caught but you need to go into this with your eyes open. If your moral code allows you to steal for your own entertainment then go ahead.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:17 am

Let's not get into this fallacious argument again - it has been well covered in other threads..

Back to mobile data contracts please.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Although you need to be aware that you will be breaking the law - both contract with Sky and UK & EC IPR laws - the chances are very low that you will get caught but you need to go into this with your eyes open. If your moral code allows you to steal for your own entertainment then go ahead.

Thats an interesting argument. As a fully fee paying customer of Sky who gets skygo as part of the package, how can one be accused of stealing when you have paid for it?

You need to make the distinction between stealing and receiving what you have paid for. National borders shouldn't come into it, if you have paid for something you should be able to take it anywhere you wish.

Last edited by Bri and Katee; Jan 19th 2014 at 6:49 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 6:33 am

I'm inclined to agree with you on this but please can we use the other thread to discuss it as previously requested. I don't want to have to delete any more off topic posts.

Thanks.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I'm inclined to agree with you on this but please can we use the other thread to discuss it as previously requested. I don't want to have to delete any more off topic posts.

Thanks.
Fred, I am extremely disappointed with you. You have joined the discussion on this page, you introduced the topic of using a spoofed IP address and then you use your powers as a moderator to remove a post that disagrees with you, you even allowed a subsequent post that supported you and then repeated your viewpoint - that's outrageous, whatever excuse you have used.
You didn't even have the courtesy to move my post to the appropriate thread which would have been more acceptable.

Last edited by MikeJ; Jan 20th 2014 at 7:17 am.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 7:22 am

No, I didn't raise the question of spoofed IP addresses, I pointed out, in relation to the OPs question, what data speeds were necessary for streaming IPTV.

I was subsequently asked by another member how it was possible, to which I gave an answer.

I have no wish to discuss the merits or demerits of VPNs on this on this thread.

Your post was deleted as it was off topic and I had already asked for the thread to go back on topic. Moving individual posts to another thread can be confusing which is why I asked you to post directly.

If you wish to discuss my actions as a mod further then please PM me. If you wish to discuss VPNs then use the other thread where I will be very happy to discuss it.

Last edited by Fred James; Jan 20th 2014 at 7:28 am.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

where is the tv forum? I looked last night and couldn't find one. What's it's correct title please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.