Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

€100,000 guarantee out of the window?

€100,000 guarantee out of the window?

Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: €100,000 guarantee out of the window?

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
You really do have a distorted view of life.
Do you really think the 1000s of language schools up and down the country, don't employ Brits?
I've been head-hunted and offered two jobs by Spanish companies, I didnt accept them because they couldnt pay me enough

There are not many Brits employed by Spaniards in Spain because usually their Spanish isnt good enough. The job market in Spain is fiercely competitive, those British people that are fuent in Spanish and have good enough qualifications prefer to work in the UK where they will earn a lot more

The British people I know of up here all teach English
Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:53 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
You won't get past reception at state hospitals in Spain either without a credit card unless you have an EHIC. This is fact, oh worked at the Hospital Costa del Sol!

As for pensioners in the USA they seem a happy lot on medicare. And your parrot posts about US soaps I have a house there and friends. Seems you are talking about yourself...another Brit hater who lives there life out of google

Aside from black people getting jobs in Spain how many Brits do you see working in Spanish companies (discounting multi-nacionals in Madrid) I only knew 3 people who didn't work for other expats and one of them is married to a Spaniard!
That's true, as I mentioned earlier, an American guest who fell and cut her head (and was unconscious) was refused care at the local state hospital until she could produce insurance or credit card with multi-thousand euro limits.

As she was unconscious, nobody knew where her insurance card was. They finally revived her and she told us it was packed in an envelope in her suitcase, so we went back to the house to get it. But after that it was no problem. In fact, at the end, there was nothing to pay at all. Her insurance covered everything.

Fortunately, her injuries were not serious, she had a few stitches and she suffered a slight concussion, but unfortunately, following getting treatment, they just left her laying on a trolley in the hallway all night long without any attention. Being that she herself is nurse at a hospital in the US, she later told us that if she had left a patient on a trolley in the hallway all night without any attention, she would have been fired, and the hospital liable for negligence. But this is Spain. You can do stuff like that here.

OK, Certainly the US private healthcare system, whilst amongst the world's most advanced and well-funded, clearly does not adequately address the needs of those who can't afford it. Fortunately, there's finally steps being taken to attempt to solve that problem, but unlike our system, is attempting to do it in such a way that maintains their high standards, eliminates the outrageous amounts spent on providing health care for people who can't pay, streamlines the system to make it more efficient, and attempts to avoid bankrupting the taxpayer in the process. They don't want to end up like us. We shall see how that goes.

Anyway, this long ago turned into a pissing match about health care, and naturally there are those who will always argue we have the best of the best and the US has the worst of the worst, citing made up theories about all kinds of things that just aren't true in their quest to prove their desire to believe that We=good, everywhere else = bad. But that's just how (some of us) are.

But my point is that you can't argue whether we are in very serious economic trouble, whilst the US is demonstrably better off. And precious few experts would disagree that the US has a pretty good future ahead of it. Our future, however, is still pretty uncertain.

Yet some of us would like to believe the Americans are all scared of their future, which I find rather laughable, but at the same time, the right-wingers over there are doing anything they can to scare american voters into voting for them, but as the economy improves and people feel the benefits, I think the right-wingers will start to diminish in popularity. After all, they voted Obama in twice already, and that's saying something :-)

Nonetheless, if we were similarly on a prosperous track, I'd be far less inclined to argue the comparison. But we're demonstrably far from that, and our leadership has consistently gone the wrong way with it. Those who prefer the status quo just choose to dismiss that important little tidbit in these debates.

And as to the direct relevance to the original topic, there's damned little chance that the US will ever need to nick 100K's from bank accounts out of desperation. But to believe it won't ever happen here is simply denial of the facts, which is not surprising, since that's largely what got us here in the first place, and to a large extent what has sustained our decline.

And as demonstrated by many of the posts you see here, it's just how we are.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 2:30 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Language schools...language schools I'm talking real jobs mate, not the bottom and the top Grow up Stevie!
Old Aug 14th 2013, 3:16 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Hmm. last I knew, anyone is denied free healthcare anywhere if they're illegal (except maybe in the UK). But at least in US public hospitals, it's illegal to deny anyone emergency healthcare, no matter who they are. And AFAIK there is no law requiring a babysitter to be given free healthcare, pension, lifetime employment, 14 month salary year or any of that.

But OK, I'll play along... perhaps some nice young student girl who could use some extra cash? But I suppose that should be illegal, too, to protect the illegals from being denied free healthcare

Damned yanks - so permissive of everything. Good job we don't have any problems like that.
there is a large island to the north of France where emergency treatment is available to all. But they are a soft touch for pregnant women (not men for some reason ) and children.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 3:22 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
You really do have a distorted view of life.
Do you really think the 1000s of language schools up and down the country, don't employ Brits?
and yet at a more local level a young spanish girl (abt 14 - its alright folks she was on the other side of her father's bar) said how nice it was to talk to a real English person, all the English teachers they have in the local schools are Spanish and impose Spanish language rules on their pupils. Also when talking to "real" English they tend to use words not contained within a rigid dictionary of words to be taught.

sounds like they are still at "the cat sat on the mat" stage

ps - just noticed, why the comma after country - that is bad English
Old Aug 14th 2013, 3:44 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe there are some relevant numbers hidden away on Google somewhere, but it's too hot to google. The great majority of expats who come to Spain are retired people who want to live in the sun, a small percentage come to start a business and a tiny percentage come to work for a Spanish company.

I suppose the tiny percentage who come to work are the same as the tiny percentage who come here on the run from something, not necessarily the police back home, it could just be a nagging partner or grandchildren that want babysitting all week long.

The trouble with obtaining any accurate numbers is that people are not prepared to breach their privacy too much, certainly not the people on the run. And not even in cyberspace.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
and yet at a more local level a young spanish girl (abt 14 - its alright folks she was on the other side of her father's bar) said how nice it was to talk to a real English person, all the English teachers they have in the local schools are Spanish and impose Spanish language rules on their pupils. Also when talking to "real" English they tend to use words not contained within a rigid dictionary of words to be taught.

sounds like they are still at "the cat sat on the mat" stage

ps - just noticed, why the comma after country - that is bad English
Because there is a huge lack of native English speaking teachers in Spain

This is not due to descrimination but due to a lack of qualified people who are prepared to work for low wages

And as we know, most British people live on the Coast and not in the areas where most Spaniards actually live
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:00 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I've been head-hunted and offered two jobs by Spanish companies, I didnt accept them because they couldnt pay me enough

There are not many Brits employed by Spaniards in Spain because usually their Spanish isnt good enough. The job market in Spain is fiercely competitive, those British people that are fuent in Spanish and have good enough qualifications prefer to work in the UK where they will earn a lot more

The British people I know of up here all teach English
Surely you weren't offered a position in PR or marketing (as you have proclaimed yourself an expert), because to be brutally honest, you appear to rather suck at it. You might seriously consider another field. Really.

Long ago, I built a very successful PR business from scratch, establishing public image and managing public relations for names you know, and frankly, I'd never have hired anyone exhibiting your character and skillset for my team, at any price. But to be fair, we did prefer talented team-players over arrogants and know-it-alls.

On the upside, perhaps there's another field that would be ideal for you. I always thought you'd make a hilarious straight-man in a comedy series. You obviously come by it honestly, and that's about the most genuine you can get! I think you could be a big hit.

But I digress.. that was then... this is now:

The current job market in Spain is an employer's market, talent is cheap and easy to find, but labour law is still riskier than it should be, so employers naturally tend to be dictatorial rather than supportive of personal talent development, and as a result, employer-employee relationships can be rather hostile. Not exactly the ideal environment for productivity, and hardly competitive (unfortunately), except amongst those seeking a job, like you, apparently.

Any luck yet? Just a tip, but maybe you ought to consider whether you are being a bit too presumptuous about the value of your skills. There are, after all, far more talented people looking for a job, and happy just to be working in a field they enjoy instead of focusing on how much they can make. Do what you love, do it right, and the money will come. Not the other way 'round!

Anyway, good luck! Please write if you get work!
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by amideislas

Anyway, good luck! Please write if you get work!
It's amazing how you read and comment on all my posts but fail to learn anything about my personal situation

I suggest you go and see a Dr so they can run some tests
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:22 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Language schools...language schools I'm talking real jobs mate, not the bottom and the top Grow up Stevie!
If Spain comes out of recession as quickly as Stevie seems to expect, at least half the foreign language schools will go straight to the wall.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:29 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Getting back to the OP. Someone said they would rather keep their money under the mattress...why £100,000 at 4% is not to be sneezed at, £4000pa is better than nothing and taking away the chance of robbery. The faint hearted could also split it up and spread it around. Was always a rule of thumb if you had a pot of money to have at least a third of it that is easily accessible (unless it is millions but I don't think any of us are in that bracket...well maybe C/Man)
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Getting back to the OP. Someone said they would rather keep their money under the mattress...why £100,000 at 4% is not to be sneezed at, £4000pa is better than nothing and taking away the chance of robbery. The faint hearted could also split it up and spread it around. Was always a rule of thumb if you had a pot of money to have at least a third of it that is easily accessible (unless it is millions but I don't think any of us are in that bracket...well maybe C/Man)
Not quite in the millions bracket

I would love you to point me towards a savings account that offers 4% for a UK non-resident. I've been looking and looking and can't find anything over 2.5%. Do tell and I promise to never be nasty again
Old Aug 14th 2013, 11:17 am
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cricketman
Not quite in the millions bracket

I would love you to point me towards a savings account that offers 4% for a UK non-resident. I've been looking and looking and can't find anything over 2.5%. Do tell and I promise to never be nasty again
Just to save time can I point you at posts #17 and #22.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 6:20 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I love it when Jacky2 "I lasted two hours working at Woolworths" gives us lectures on "real jobs".
Old Aug 14th 2013, 6:25 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a decent return on savings has definitely been a problem in most countries with low interest rates. Some quarters used to promote the purchase of gold - but hasn't that fallen this year?
Someone I know who's a guru in purchasing, has told me the best idea is to buy stuff from China via DhGate or AliBaba and then sell on at a markup of 100% or 200%. Sounds a good earner, but you have to know how to sell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.