Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

€100,000 guarantee out of the window?

€100,000 guarantee out of the window?

Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: €100,000 guarantee out of the window?

Originally Posted by amideislas
True, they are, but I reckon they'll have to get used to it. I presume they're just fearful of ending up like us.
Not much sign of them getting used to it at present, is there?

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...are-95456.html

And the plan is hitting huge snags and delays due to vested interests of insurers and others fighting it tooth and nail:-

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapoth...ed-until-2015/
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:00 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
As for the Hispanics in USA...they kick them out but they come back in weeks if they can. Perhaps they should give them a rent free council house like the UK. and all the other perks
Yeah, that makes sense, but to get to the US they need only wade across the rio grande, so the big question is who will pay for their flights to the UK? I don't think there is an entitlement for that (yet).

And another important point of debate is what class should they fly in? They've been through a lot after sneaking into the US and working for low wages because they are unfairly regarded as "illegal immigrants" under US law, so maybe business class would be a nice reward for their sacrifices?

In fact, maybe the UK should broadcast adverts in Mexico about the plan, to encourage more people to take advantage of it. After all, the pound is worth far more than the peso or the dollar, so working for cheap wages in the UK would be much better for them.

Too bad Gordon isn't at the helm. Would be a lot easier to get them the free stuff they deserve.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that makes sense, but to get to the US they need only wade across the rio grande, so the big question is who will pay for their flights to the UK? I don't think there is an entitlement for that (yet).

And another important point of debate is what class should they fly in? They've been through a lot after sneaking into the US and working for low wages because they are unfairly regarded as "illegal immigrants" under US law, so maybe business class would be a nice reward for their sacrifices?

In fact, maybe the UK should broadcast adverts in Mexico about the plan, to encourage more people to take advantage of it. After all, the pound is worth far more than the peso or the dollar, so working for cheap wages in the UK would be much better for them.

Too bad Gordon isn't at the helm. Would be a lot easier to get them the free stuff they deserve.
But then who would all those richer Americans who complain about them coming to the US and want to deny them healthcare get to do their gardening/pool cleaning/look after their children?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:44 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
But then who would all those richer Americans who complain about them coming to the US and want to deny them healthcare get to do their gardening/pool cleaning/look after their children?
Hmm. last I knew, anyone is denied free healthcare anywhere if they're illegal (except maybe in the UK). But at least in US public hospitals, it's illegal to deny anyone emergency healthcare, no matter who they are. And AFAIK there is no law requiring a babysitter to be given free healthcare, pension, lifetime employment, 14 month salary year or any of that.

But OK, I'll play along... perhaps some nice young student girl who could use some extra cash? But I suppose that should be illegal, too, to protect the illegals from being denied free healthcare

Damned yanks - so permissive of everything. Good job we don't have any problems like that.

Last edited by amideislas; Aug 13th 2013 at 6:18 am.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. last I knew, anyone is denied free healthcare anywhere if they're illegal (except maybe in the UK). But at least in US public hospitals, it's illegal to deny anyone emergency healthcare, no matter who they are. And AFAIK there is no law requiring a babysitter to be given free healthcare, pension, lifetime employment, 14 month salary year or any of that.

But OK, I'll play along... perhaps some nice young student girl who could use some extra cash? But I suppose that should be illegal, too, to protect the illegals from being denied free healthcare

Damned yanks - so permissive of everything. Good job we don't have any problems like that.
You are completely wrong as usual, in Spain and almost every country in the word, they will treat anyone for emergency care

Anyway, that is no help at all if you have cancer, or diabetes or any chronic disease that usually ends people's lives

Jackytoo and amideislas are the most cruel soul-less people I've come across. I guess you must be really bitter that you could not go and live in the US, obviously you are not worthy. I don't understand why virtuous people like yourselves just couldnt have earnt more money, or educated yourselves in something useful so you could go and follow your dream
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cricketman
You are completely wrong as usual, in Spain and almost every country in the word, they will treat anyone for emergency care

Anyway, that is no help at all if you have cancer, or diabetes or any chronic disease that usually ends people's lives

Jackytoo and amideislas are the most cruel soul-less people I've come across. I guess you must be really bitter that you could not go and live in the US, obviously you are not worthy. I don't understand why virtuous people like yourselves just couldnt have earnt more money, or educated yourselves in something useful so you could go and follow your dream
Oh god, you're a hoot!
Made my day. Muchas Gracias!

Vive la CMan!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:02 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The US is a great place to live if you are one of the minority ( usually white ) with good incomes and can afford the extraordinary prices for health insurance
Jacktoo and others obviously have no knowledge of how it actually works, of private hospitals that will not take the poor and shunt them on to overworked County facilities.
Of those on average earning who have to who mortage themselves to the hilt to pay medical bills.
But let them continue to live in their world where they take their information from US soaps and the Daily Mail.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 10:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by EMR
The US is a great place to live if you are one of the minority ( usually white ) with good incomes and can afford the extraordinary prices for health insurance
Jacktoo and others obviously have no knowledge of how it actually works, of private hospitals that will not take the poor and shunt them on to overworked County facilities.
Of those on average earning who have to who mortage themselves to the hilt to pay medical bills.
But let them continue to live in their world where they take their information from US soaps and the Daily Mail.
First, you should remember that this debate began when someone asserted that illegal foreigners are denied free healthcare in the US. Well, I have news for you. aside from the UK, it's also true here, and if you can't show insurance or proof of financial solvency, you won't get treated here, either. I can tell you about an experience we had several years ago with some foreign guests that were staying with us, but it's hardly worth the wordage at this point.

But in the US, it's patently illegal to deny care to anyone. I remember a news conference with Sarkozy at some meeting of politicians a few years ago, when Sarkozy took a piss at the US by saying that "In France, if you have an accident, you need not have a credit card to get medical care". A few speeches later, the US ambassador read aloud the specific US law prohibiting denial of emergency care to anyone for any reason, and promised Mr. Sarkozy that if he can provide evidence of any public hospital refusing emergency care to anyone for any reason, then he would gladly initiate criminal proceedings against them. It was quite an embarrassment to Sarkozy.

Secondly, I don't know about where you live, but there is not one black person that holds any job of any significance here. Show me one, please. The blacks here are very much segregated, and have little chance for any opportunity. In the US, however, all minorities are provided far more public assistance than whites, are protected by all kinds of laws, and today, minorities are very much a part of all aspects of professional and public society. True, there are still many white yanks who exhibit racism, but minorities are far more integrated into US society than over here.

In terms of health insurance costs, I used to live in Germany, which has a pretty decent public healthcare system. One of the best, in fact. We were on the public insurance system until hubby broke a toe one afternoon, and we waited at the hospital for 5 hours before receiving any attention at all. The hospital wasn't busy, but lots of people waving private insurance cards were hustled in ahead of us - all day long, whilst hubby sat in pain. Finally, they took him in for an x-ray. Another 2 hours later, a young intern wrapped a cast up to his knee and told us he had to stay off it for 6 weeks.

That very week, we were scheduled to go skiing in Austria (one of hubby's favourite things). So, we went to a small Austrian clinic. The doctor saw us immediately, and after we told him our story, he cut off the cast, prepared a splint on the toe, wrapped it in tape, gave him some tablets, and told him to enjoy his skiing holiday. Then he told us that the reason they put on a cast was to avoid legal exposure. It's safe, and cannot be declared as malpractice. He charged us €40 for the visit. Hubby had a great time on the slopes.

After that, we signed up for nearly €1000/mo private insurance cover and never again waited more than 5 minutes in any clinic, doctors' office or hospital.

So, it's really not all that different over here, and now with the new healthcare system in the US, it will be at least a little better.

But in order to rationalise why we put up with all the nonsense we do, we need something worse to compare to, and the yanks are always a good place to take a piss (because most people really don't know anyway, and so they believe it - like Sarkozy and millions of others).

Anyway, these false assertions, based wholly on desire to believe that the US is uniquely somehow inferior to Europe, and is some sort of greedy, racist, impoverished, evil empire just isn't that convincing. The facts just don't support it (and it's a bit tired, too).

Try again.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 10:37 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Most of them won't have been to the US. Their views are the same they had when students, USA bad anywhere else good.

True about black people, they are visible in shops all over USA. including the large chain stores and in banks etc. When did you last see a black person in a decent job in Spain, the only ones I have ever seen are selling handbags on the beach!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Most of them won't have been to the US. Their views are the same they had when students, USA bad anywhere else good.

True about black people, they are visible in shops all over USA. including the large chain stores and in banks etc. When did you last see a black person in a decent job in Spain, the only ones I have ever seen are selling handbags on the beach!
You are not comparing like for like

Black immigrants to Spain are from the last 10-15 years and are usually escaping poverty from Africa, most aren't even literate

Afro-Americans have been in the USA since its conception when they of course were employed as slaves. They have had 300 or so years to get on the road to getting a job and becoming part of society - once they were freed of course

You guys are being deliberately mis-leading, either that, or you are just stupid. Looking at another nonsensical amideislas rant which is entirely wrong in its content, then perhaps it is the latter.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 10:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cricketman
You are not comparing like for like

Black immigrants to Spain are from the last 10-15 years and are usually escaping poverty from Africa, most aren't even literate

Afro-Americans have been in the USA since its conception when they of course were employed as slaves. They have had 300 or so years to get on the road to getting a job and becoming part of society - once they were freed of course

You guys are being deliberately mis-leading, either that, or you are just stupid. Looking at another nonsensical amideislas rant which is entirely wrong in its content, then perhaps it is the latter.
Confucious say "way out of hole found above, not below".
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:08 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I have made many visits to the US have friends who are in business there close to one of the poorest parts of the deep south . They live in the real world .
Glad you mention Skiing, when in the states we went with friends to Colorado.
One of the party had a fall fortunately nothing serious but I had to go along credit card in had so that she we get some treatment. No card , hard luck bring cash.
When there we met up with a group called the " Over the hill club ". A sking group for the over 50,s
Discussing the relative merits of each other countries many of them were scared of the future. Their medical insurance finished or became un affordable
when they reached 65. They faced a future on medicare with fear and dread.
They view the UK and much of Europe as fortunate indeed to have our social health systems.
Some should stop watching american soaps and so called reality programs because clearly that is where they get their idea of the " promised land from ".
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:45 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

You won't get past reception at state hospitals in Spain either without a credit card unless you have an EHIC. This is fact, oh worked at the Hospital Costa del Sol!

As for pensioners in the USA they seem a happy lot on medicare. And your parrot posts about US soaps I have a house there and friends. Seems you are talking about yourself...another Brit hater who lives there life out of google

Aside from black people getting jobs in Spain how many Brits do you see working in Spanish companies (discounting multi-nacionals in Madrid) I only knew 3 people who didn't work for other expats and one of them is married to a Spaniard!
Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:33 am
EMR
Banned

They are happy on medicare because they have no choice, I am sure my friends daughter who has a $10,000 dollar medical bill would love to be on medicare but she does not qualify.
They live there, not holiday home owners.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:36 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from black people getting jobs in Spain how many Brits do you see working in Spanish companies (discounting multi-nacionals in Madrid) I only knew 3 people who didn't work for other expats and one of them is married to a Spaniard!
You really do have a distorted view of life.
Do you really think the 1000s of language schools up and down the country, don't employ Brits?
If a Spanish company (same as any other) thinks they will gain commercial advantage by employing foreigners (including Brits) they will do. From the bars and discos that hire foreign barstaff and/or djs, to the top football teams - they even did that prior to democracy! You even get a Brit commentating on football affairs on Spanish tv - I only suspect there aren't more because let's face it, few British footballers can speak the language well enough.
I've worked on contract for Spanish owned construction services companies in the UK - where they continue to employ 95%+ Brits because they want the job done well, so hire the locals who know the job.
Oh, and by the way, some of the top people now working with Telefonica Digital are foreign, including Matthew Key (ex O2) and Gary Stewart, Director of Wayra Spain (Telefónica's start-up accelerator); Professor and Entrepreneur in Residence at IE Business School.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.